News Article: THN Top 30 Unrestricted Free Agents

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Like most true contenders, we need some luck to continue to move upwards. Perhaps a young prospect comes in and shines beyond expectations (Liljegren?), and/or a big free agent decides he wants to sign in the Toronto (JT?) and deal with everything that comes with it, and he pans out. Otherwise, this team is still in a tier below TB, Pit, Was, Nas, VGK, Wpg and maybe even Bos. They could even easily regress in 2018-2019 if nothing material happens.

Now that Thornton wouldn't have to shave by signing in Toronto, maybe he'll reconsider. :naughty:

Reactions: Goonface2k14

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Re Leafs capspace situation next season:

Doesn’t HAVE to be utilized via signing free agency there’s also trades.

How are we going to acquire ~$20 million in cap space via trades while still leaving money available to sign Matthews and Marner next year? Only way we can hit the ceiling is by signing at least one big UFA contract to a 1 year deal (Kovalchuk, Jumbo Joe).

It also doesn't make sense to trade assets for players who have only 1 year left in their contract.

Yes, we can make some trade for sure... but if you want to use our cap space this year, we have to sign some UFAs (and some of the UFAs have to be on 1 year deals so that we can afford Matthews and Marner).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How are we going to acquire ~$20 million in cap space via trades while still leaving money available to sign Matthews and Marner next year? Only way we can hit the ceiling is by signing at least one big UFA contract to a 1 year deal (Kovalchuk, Jumbo Joe).

It also doesn't make sense to trade assets for players who have only 1 year left in their contract.

Yes, we can make some trade for sure... but if you want to use our cap space this year, we have to sign some UFAs (and some of the UFAs have to be on 1 year deals so that we can afford Matthews and Marner).

Expiring contracts - guys like Spezza, ie take on a bad contract and get a sweetener asset too. Lots of teams looking to gain capspace might be willing to make a deal.

Ie like the Wild who may be looking to shred salary and have guys like Brodin, who could still fit on a Leafs team that has resigned the big three.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sometimes you have to take what se perceive as a step back to make a bigger leap forward.

It's not like we are worried about icing a contender for the cup this season. We are still building into one and are a couple of years at best away from being an actual contender.

I personally think we will see more guys making the leap from the Marlies into open spots then UFA especially now with Dubas at the helm. He knows the kids better then anyone else and believes in promoting from within when a player earns it.

I trust Dubas to be responsible with development and worry about him in trade.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Ok lol return here all you want, you have your opinion, I have mine, but neither have Dubas' job. I do think Dubas is the type that'll be confident in Nylander's C capabilities.

This is what I'd run next year:

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Grundstrom/Brown-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Aaltonen/Plek-Brown/Grundstrom

Rielly-UFA/trade
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

That's a way better 2-way & speed game in our top 9 forwards upgrading our team defense thus improving the results of our defensemen, and having someone whether it be Braun, Tanev or some other RD that pushes every RD down a line would also be a huge improvement. I don't think you should be making huge team changing decisions just because we lost in game 7 to a top 5 team, look at Winnipeg's patience and where they are now.
Why are tanking next year?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
nice year to have over 20mill to spend, almost no1 i want to give many years to

maybe give kovy a super 1 year deal...we gotta save money for matthews and marner, and next years better FA class anyways

member 300185

The top 30 unrestricted free agents of 2018 | The Hockey News

"The 2018 free agent class is top heavy. The biggest names, from John Tavares to John Carlson, have come this far without re-signing, so they will likely reach the negotiating window in late June and hear offers from new teams. The open market will produce major bidding wars for some top-notch offensive players, many of them younger than 30. After the top 10 names or so, there’s a precipitous drop in talent. We get a sea of aging former stars and grinder defensemen. It's one of the shallowest UFA classes of all-time."

I don't agree with this assessment of who is available after the top 10. I like many of these names and I am convinced that the Leafs will make a splash and they'll do fine choosing outside of the top 10.

We need:

A 3C, 4C (could be a Marlie), A LW, and a top 4 D.

What do you think?

Outside of Tavares and Carlson who do you like? Is anyone interested in Nash? What about DeHaan?

Who do you like?
Im interested in the 3 you listed plus Kane. We should be able to land at least 1 of them. Kane has a crap maturity level but you cant deny his skill. And, I think another year will suit him better to mature a bit more. Leafs should grab him while he is still at a low maturity level.

JVR, Bozo and Kom can GTFO

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Promote D from within.

On July 1st have a sit down meeting with Leaf brass, JT and the CEO of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario to discuss potential endorsements.

Done deal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why are tanking next year?
To be fair, that is our current depth chart.
I can't stress enough how the pipeline still needs to be stocked.

There are 2 major areas of concern as we HF boards GMs try to plan the way forward.

1. Nylander (center/wing/sometimes both?)
If Nylander is a winger, we need a 3c + 4C.

2. Gardiner (own rental or future?) Let the record show if you aren't signing Gardiner long term, move him.

Now it's fun to speculate Tavares/Carlson/etc. but don't count on it.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
To be fair, that is our current depth chart.
I can't stress enough how the pipeline still needs to be stocked.

There are 2 major areas of concern as we HF boards GMs try to plan the way forward.

1. Nylander (center/wing/sometimes both?)
If Nylander is a winger, we need a 3c + 4C.

2. Gardiner (own rental or future?) Let the record show if you aren't signing Gardiner long term, move him.

Now it's fun to speculate Tavares/Carlson/etc. but don't count on it.
Oh I know, I have no pretense that this is the lineup we will see in the fall though. Lots of time to make changes before then. While I expect the kids to be given a chance to make the team, I have no doubt that there will be names brought in.

Let's be completely honest, this is not a forgiving city. Any significant step back next year will not be received well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oh I know, I have no pretense that this is the lineup we will see in the fall though. Lots of time to make changes before then. While I expect the kids to be given a chance to make the team, I have no doubt that there will be names brought in.

Let's be completely honest, this is not a forgiving city. Any significant step back next year will not be received well.

Truer words were never spoken.
This board would light up like a Christmas Tree in that event.
It is a possibility. Tampa goes from missing the playoffs to Conference final. Ottawa goes from Conference final to missing the playoffs. The Islanders have dropped off the map after their 1st playoff win a few years ago in forever.
It's still a process here. Despite what some believe, we still have organizational deficiencies.
We have assembled a good cast of wingers but the center and defensive side of the house is lacking.
We also don't have the luxury of a one generation up class on the team. In Tampa you have Stamkos,Hedman,Palat,Johnson,Stralman, approximate ages around 27 years old. Then the crop of Point,Sergachev,Foote, approximate ages 18-21.

In Boston you have Bergeron,Marchand,Chara,Krejci with a new crop of Debrusk,Pastrnak,McAvoy.

We seriously lack that. The 20 year olds here have to be the Bergeron,Stamkos,etc.
So we need to keep building depth and if you want to be an organization that endures for decades, in a few years we will need to put minimum talent level like Kadri/Rielly into the organization developing. Then this crop can come in with the 26/27 year olds above. This is why it's not time to let assets walk. Assets with value like JVR (to late) and Gardiner (if not in the plan). Then when it comes time to the last year of Kadri, you have a Point in the system and you keep cycling.

Reactions: The Apologist

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Re Leafs capspace situation next season:

Doesn’t HAVE to be utilized via signing free agency there’s also trades.

Im going to continue banging this drum for a while,

We are not going to overpay Carlson (if he makes it to FA) and we are not going to trade for a top pairing D using only scraps and unproven prospects.

The only way we will acquire a top young D is by targeting a team with not enough cap space/real dollars, a surplus on D and some bad contracts they need rid of (which is where our cap space comes in handy).

Either that or be prepared to let Marner or Nylander go, which i will admit, becomes a lot easier to take if we get the holy grail of FA

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Promote D from within.

On July 1st have a sit down meeting with Leaf brass, JT and the CEO of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario to discuss potential endorsements.

Done deal.

Im sure there's rules against this but i love it. Hell, id call the CEO of every major company in the GTA and have them park a truck full of cash outside the building as Kyle says "im sorry John the Leafs can only give you 5Mx7" whilst nodding towards the truck.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Im sure there's rules against this but i love it. Hell, id call the CEO of every major company in the GTA and have them park a truck full of cash outside the building as Kyle says "im sorry John the Leafs can only give you 5Mx7" whilst nodding towards the truck.

We got away with it when we tried to lure Stamkos. We had the CEO from Canadian Tire involved to guarantee Stamkos a lucrative endorsement deal if he signed in Toronto.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
surplus on D and some bad contracts they need rid of (which is where our cap space comes in handy).
Yeah, well said. I think that's where the Carolina Hurricanes trade rumours are starting from by McKenzie. With new ownership, coaching changes, etc - they might be the one team we could strike a deal with.

We will definitely have to give up quality because they have some great young d-men. The only high-priced contract they have right now is Staal @ 6m.

Pesce (RD) & Slavin (LD) start their new deals this upcoming season @ 4.025 & 5.3 cap hits respectively.

Carolina needs offense, we need defense. Something has got to give.

Any potential deal would result in Toronto taking back salary especially if they want one of Carolina's prized D. Potential offense going back could be Kadri, Nylander.

JvR (UFA) has his younger brother TvR, playing in Carolina as well.

This would be a MAJOR move though, and one, maybe Dubas might not make in his first year as GM. We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad