News Article: THN Top 30 Unrestricted Free Agents

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
,Anyone giving Carlson a 7.5- 8 mill contract is crazy, he had an exceptional year but it is just that one year, I wouldn't give him more than 5.5 million and any team that does give him that 7.5-8 mill kind of contract will regret it.

Tavares would be a big upgrade at center but again 10.5 mill, could we fit both Matthews and Tavares under the cap.

Riley Nash may be a good pick up, good size and with the good wingers we have in our system, he may become a decent #2 behind Matthews.
hes worth a lot more then 5.5 million. hes a solid number 1 defenceman that has had a 50 and 60 point season.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'm on the CDH train. He'd solidify our top 4 and gain us an asset that could be used...or frees up an asset that we have(trade Gardiner? Zaitzev?)

Reactions: Critical

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
3C = Nylander
LWs = Johnsson, Marleau, Hyman w/ Grundstrom waiting for a call up
4C = Aaltonen

Really only a RD that we need.

Ok. So let's break this down a little.

The leafs have close to 25 million dollars in cap space.

UFAs:

Polak RD
Bozak C
Plekanec C
Moore C
JVR LW
Komarov LW

Nylander, Johnsson, and Carrick are RFAs (that won't use up Toronto's cap space).

All we need is a RD?

It's bold what you predicted and I respect that, but we really need to return to this thread once July 1st has come and gone.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm on the CDH train. He'd solidify our top 4 and gain us an asset that could be used...or frees up an asset that we have(trade Gardiner? Zaitzev?)

I'd be for this. I think you give Z more time and hope it works out. Gardiner though should be moved to address other needs.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
,Anyone giving Carlson a 7.5- 8 mill contract is crazy, he had an exceptional year but it is just that one year, I wouldn't give him more than 5.5 million and any team that does give him that 7.5-8 mill kind of contract will regret it.
3 of the past 4 seasons he was on pace for or scored 55 points or more.

How is that just one exceptional year?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I would take a serious run at JT and, if he signed, I would make him the #1 instead of Matthews. He could easily handle other teams' top defence pairings and having Matthews at #2 would shelter him a bit and allow him to feast on weaker defenders. Having those two as the first and second line centers would be scary, and then you add in Kadri as the third line center.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
3 of the past 4 seasons he was on pace for or scored 55 points or more.

How is that just one exceptional year?

So where would you put a cap hit on Jake Gardiner with his 52 point season and playing on really bad Leaf teams close to last place until the past 2 years, maybe 6.5 to 7 mill?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Ok. So let's break this down a little.

The leafs have close to 25 million dollars in cap space.

UFAs:

Polak RD
Bozak C
Plekanec C
Moore C
JVR LW
Komarov LW

Nylander, Johnsson, and Carrick are RFAs (that won't use up Toronto's cap space).

All we need is a RD?

It's bold what you predicted and I respect that, but we really need to return to this thread once July 1st has come and gone.
Ok lol return here all you want, you have your opinion, I have mine, but neither have Dubas' job. I do think Dubas is the type that'll be confident in Nylander's C capabilities.

This is what I'd run next year:

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Grundstrom/Brown-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Aaltonen/Plek-Brown/Grundstrom

Rielly-UFA/trade
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

That's a way better 2-way & speed game in our top 9 forwards upgrading our team defense thus improving the results of our defensemen, and having someone whether it be Braun, Tanev or some other RD that pushes every RD down a line would also be a huge improvement. I don't think you should be making huge team changing decisions just because we lost in game 7 to a top 5 team, look at Winnipeg's patience and where they are now.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Forwards I would look at are: Tavares, Stastny, Kane, Kovalchuk, Thornton, Rick and Riley Nash, Grabner, Filppula, Derek Ryan, Calvert, Stewart, Vermette

Tavares would be a ridiculous add and the Leafs could boast Tavares-Matthews-Kadri. Stastny would be the perfect replacement for Bozak. Bozak wasnt the greatest skater and Stastny would be similar, but Stastny can provide offense, defensive play, and kill penalties. Thornton would be similar, but I would like him in a lesser role due to his age, skating, and recent knee injuries. Riley Nash, Valterri Filppula, Derek Ryan, or Antoine Vermette would be an ideal 4th line center all win draws, can penalty kill, and are not black holes offensively especially if playing with Johnsson/Kapanen.

On win Kane would provide something the Leafs have not had in a long time. A powerful winger with speed and a deadly shot. Kovalchuk would be similar, just older and not as physical. Nash would compliment the Leafs style with his skating, but bring a physicalness to the team and I believe he would be the perfect replacement for JVR, and at a lesser price tag. Grabner would add to the Leafs speed and that is saying something with how fast they already are. Plus, on a 3rd or 4th line Kadri or somebody could feed him breakaways like crazy. Calvert would be a similar addition to Grabner, just slightly more physical and not as fast, but can skate, can shoot, and if need be can kill penalties. Stewart, I have said for a while, is someone I have wanted the Leafs to have. He brings the physical element that Martin would, but plays right wing and can keep up offensively.

Defense I would look at are: De Haan, Moore, Barbario, and Enstrom.

The pickings on defense via free agency are pretty slim. De Haan is underrated, he wont fix the Leafs woes singlehandedly, but would be a benefit on the back end. I know he has not played on the right side very much, but if either he is willing to switch there or Rielly or Gardiner decide to slide over, it could benefit the team. Moore is a great skater and has some playoff experience with a couple teams I like his skating to replace Polak on that 3rd pair. Barbario is a little known name that I think is a good player. good skater, is left handed but can and has played the right side, and has a bit of an edge to him. Lastly, I like Enstrom, he is getting older and was never known as a physical player, but if the Leafs cant land someone better he is a veteran fallback option that is a good skater and great passer. Could help defending by passing the puck out of the zone better than previous options.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Honestly i know we have a ton of cap space...But its only for 1 season. Which guys would be willing to come on 1 year deals? Nash?? Maybe...Cant really see any good D options that will take 1 year deals. Any UFA's that are gonna want longterm dollars are gonna have to be cheap...Unless its Tavares you can find a way to make it work.

Its not really worth signing any cheap guys longterm...As we have lots of depth in the ORG that will probably be better options. Therfore that leaves vets on 1 year deals as our options in UFA...Honestly our forward group looks pretty good without making any moves.

Hyman-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Leivo

Maybe upgrade 4C?? Schaller?

That team is full of puck hounds and speed. Will be a lot better than last years lineup. Taking away Martin, Bozak, JVR and adding Grundstrom, Johnsson, Kapanen, Leivo already makes us way better, faster and more skilled.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Re sign:

Bozak- if the price is right re sign him. People love to hate him on here, but he is a decent 3rd line center. He is reliable and a good locker room guy. You know exactly what you are getting with Bozak.

Polak- very tough player to play against, a team guy and a great PKer. Polak provides great value on the cheap. Leafs would be dumb to let him walk.

I would like to re sign JVR but will be too costly.

FA targets:

Emelin- tough to play against and adds some grit to the leafs back end. Would be a great fit.

Mike Green- better PP QB than anyone on the leafs. Would look to trade Gardiner and sign him.

Ryan Reaves- better 4th liner than Martin and it’s not even close. Plays the same role/style but has better hands, and can dominate down low.

Obviously Tavares/Carlson/James Neal would be nice and 3 really good fits, but Leafs can’t afford them.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Re sign:

Bozak- if the price is right re sign him. People love to hate him on here, but he is a decent 3rd line center. He is reliable and a good locker room guy. You know exactly what you are getting with Bozak.

Polak- very tough player to play against, a team guy and a great PKer. Polak provides great value on the cheap. Leafs would be dumb to let him walk.

I would like to re sign JVR but will be too costly.

FA targets:

Emelin- tough to play against and adds some grit to the leafs back end. Would be a great fit.

Mike Green- better PP QB than anyone on the leafs. Would look to trade Gardiner and sign him.

Ryan Reaves- better 4th liner than Martin and it’s not even close. Plays the same role/style but has better hands, and can dominate down low.

Obviously Tavares/Carlson/James Neal would be nice and 3 really good fits, but Leafs can’t afford them.

You highlighted Leafs lack of toughness prior to the playoffs and now you think we should resign a soft C rather than use the opportunity to replace him with some grit ?? Unless we sign JT, we have to use this opportunity to fill our holes with players that come with some grit and lots of compete.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Lets say we do and gentlemans agreement with Tavares.

1 year max money, 14 million

We now own his rights, next off season sign him to a front loaded 8x8.5 million contract.

Works out to 82 million over his term, I also see him retiring by year 7 of his contract and we can pull a hossa.

Let’s say even if Tavares gets hurt this year, you would still sign him to that contract.

That’s the equivalent of offering him 7x11.5 in the off season.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Unproven 3c, rookie LW, grinder LW and unproven 4C.

I don't know but that looks like a downgrade or very iffy at best vs this seasons team. Certainly a step back.

Sometimes you have to take what se perceive as a step back to make a bigger leap forward.

It's not like we are worried about icing a contender for the cup this season. We are still building into one and are a couple of years at best away from being an actual contender.

I personally think we will see more guys making the leap from the Marlies into open spots then UFA especially now with Dubas at the helm. He knows the kids better then anyone else and believes in promoting from within when a player earns it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not sure the Leafs need/should sign a winger Free agent, there are Marlies guys who can fill out those roles.

I wonder if they’ll bring in a 4C too or go with Aaltonen.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Our available cap space is somewhat of a mirage as it is primarily a one year window. We're not in the position to commit long term UFA dollars to players who will undoubtedly be overvalued on the open market.

I don't mind short term deals for depth players, but there should also be a couple of spots open for the kids on the Marlies at training camp.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I could see Thornton filling th Bozak role of 3rd line centre with significant PP time and limited 5v5 time. That’s of course if Tavares does not sign with TML.

Could also see BOTH signing with the Leafs, and Kadri dealt for a Pesce.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Like most true contenders, we need some luck to continue to move upwards. Perhaps a young prospect comes in and shines beyond expectations (Liljegren?), and/or a big free agent decides he wants to sign in the Toronto (JT?) and deal with everything that comes with it, and he pans out. Otherwise, this team is still in a tier below TB, Pit, Was, Nas, VGK, Wpg and maybe even Bos. They could even easily regress in 2018-2019 if nothing material happens.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think we need to broaden our perspective here
-What's your take on Nikita Gusev?
-We discussed him with Leafs management. He is a good player. Even a very good one.

-Would you take him to the Leafs?
-The most important is if the player wants to play here. We have a lot of eyes, we're following a lot of players. And we are seriously working on good players joining us. We don't care from which country they are, it's important that they would want to play for the Leafs.
We need a list of euro FA's as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->