Rumor: THN: Shawn Matthias to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Hasn't built off last year's success, career 0.3 PPG player that's 40% on face-offs and struggling to get ice time on a weak Panthers team - he's behind Gomez so he's at best our 4th line C and he hasn't consistently shown the skills to play in the top 6

I'd rather move Bourque and give Leblanc a shot but if he's cheap I wouldn't complain

ScopeHockey

Mar 19, 2010
Surprised no one's pointed out that the original article(s) referenced in this thread do not indicate that Bergevin's even interested in Mathias. Simply the reporter's opinion that Mathias & Habs would be a good fit and that Bergevin would likely be interested.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Don't we currently LOVE Bournival as a winger? He's a spark plug who makes things happen for Pleky

yup but i always envisioned him as a shutdown 3rd line center. i mean he could also end up turning into a solid 2way top 6, who knows. worst case scenario we'd end up with

bourni - matthias - xxxx

as our 3rd line, which is quite beautiful

TiCats

Nov 8, 2013
Mile End, Montreal
I will speculate that Bourque is going to Florida. Three reasons:

1. Montreal is winning without him..

2. Dale Tallon brought Bourque into the league as a free agent signing in Chicago.

3. The rumour takes flight when Bourque is cleared to play.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If it were Bourque going to FLA, wouldn't we get more than Matthias?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
"SI.com’s Allan Muir reported the Montreal Canadiens could be a suitor"

Nothing more than speculation.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I will speculate that Bourque is going to Florida. Three reasons:

1. Montreal is winning without him..

2. Dale Tallon brought Bourque into the league as a free agent signing in Chicago.

3. The rumour takes flight when Bourque is cleared to play.

This could save us 1.6million in cap space as well.
I don't think Bergy will be giving up a draft pick though but possibly a prospect not needed anymore..........say Holland or someone in that mold.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Matthias would be a step in the right direction. Big, versatile, in the early years of his prime, and under 2m cap hit. I can see Tallon taking Bourque + 3rd for him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
"SI.com’s Allan Muir reported the Montreal Canadiens could be a suitor"

Nothing more than speculation.

We weren't able to get any back-up on that alleged ESPN rumor/mention linking Matthias to Ryan White.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Would be a bit of a head scratcher, I guess it would make sense if White was going the other way. We would be bigger and more skilled but less physical and less tough. On Kulikov, I would not get why Florida would move him unless its because he is RFA after this season and they do not want to pay him. If that is the case then Nathan B plus the other way I guess.

PricePkPatch*

So

1- He's big
2- He's a hard worker who will buy into Therrien/Bergevin team model
3- He's got good hockey IQ
4- He's young
5- He's good defensively

... why wouldn't we want that guy again? Maybe he's not the skillest of players, but he'll fit well into our model and help alleviate our size problem without being a liability.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
That's actually kind of interesting for the panthers. They will need a D to replace Kulikov who is rumored to be bolting to the KHL next season.

Apparently Matthias is a 110% every shift kind of guy which I would love to have on the team. I just don't know how much he's worth. Also White has been playing really well for us.

The rumor comes from Bruce Garrioch, who, if I'm not mistaken, said that there was a chance that Kulikov could go to the KHL if offered a good contract. Seems like the typical Garrioch rumor spin to me.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is the third time I see/hear this rumor this week, apparently Bergevin wants tp acquire Shawn Mattias.

6'4" 220 pound centre that shoots left and only 25 years old!

Possibly the perfect 3rd line centre? Or Winger to play with Eller and Galchenyhuk?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-plenty-of-interest-in-panthers-matthias-and-kulikov/

I'm sure MB would take Matthias, but at this point it's just reporters' speculation.

Depending on the price I would definitely be interested, might be the type of player that's rejuvenated joining a bigger hockey market.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
The rumor comes from Bruce Garrioch, who, if I'm not mistaken, said that there was a chance that Kulikov could go to the KHL if offered a good contract. Seems like the typical Garrioch rumor spin to me.

True. I guess russians will always have that stigma but with Markov, Emelin and Galchenyuk I could see this as a good fit for russian players and I would gladly welcome them on the team.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
He would fit nicely here. Bergevin's kind of player for sure. Matthias, Prust, White, Moen, Bournival... we're beginning to have solid depth players here.

TiCats

Nov 8, 2013
Mile End, Montreal
True. I guess russians will always have that stigma but with Markov, Emelin and Galchenyuk I could see this as a good fit for russian players and I would gladly welcome them on the team.

Interesting. Three Russian D in the top four.

Bourque, Diaz and something for Matthias and Kulikov?

What would have to be added for this to happen.

dreamingofdrouin*

He would fit nicely here. Bergevin's kind of player for sure. Matthias, Prust, White, Moen, Bournival... we're beginning to have solid depth players here.

i agree but we dont have him yet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad