THN: Coyotes to Seattle this Summer? UPD: Healy - Jul2 for COG, or it's Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
http://www.king5.com/news/arena/NHL...-in-doubt-prompts-Seattle-talk-211315311.html

This says its still in operation

Tacoma dome no longer has its ice-making facilities and there was study done and it would require 200-300m in renovations to make T-dome work.

Considering Campbell's track record, I'll take Ms. Daouert's word over his.

At any rate, has there been an assessment of what KeyArena needs to be NHL-acceptable? I'm sure the new team could skimp on a few things while the SoDo development is being built for them.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Considering Campbell's track record, I'll take Ms. Daouert's word over his.

At any rate, has there been an assessment of what KeyArena needs to be NHL-acceptable? I'm sure the new team could skimp on a few things while the SoDo development is being built for them.

As far as i know Replay booth and lighting upgrades. No idea if there needs to be anything more. I assume if we do get Hockey that Hansen would do what he plans to do to the Key for NBA and include the things needed for NHL.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If Seattle was ready like Quebec City. No doubt that Seattle will be the only option.

Even if Seattle was ready like quebec that still doesn't mean we would get the coyotes.

Like i said until NHL says Seattle is out or the Coyotes, Seattle still has a chance at getting them.

NHL owns the team and if they want the team in seattle the team will be in seattle regardless of the temporary arena situation.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
IF and IF. Seattle is only talking now and not acting. That's why Quebec is the only possible relocation. We're ready and Seattle is not.

Tell me more.

Just because Hansen and group don't announce all of their plans, does not mean there is no action taking place. Hansen likes to operate outside of the headlines.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
worst case scenario in Seattle is 5 years in Key while the SoDo arena falls apart and Levin goes back to the suburbs to build. But with the NBA TV deals being done this summer, that seems unlikely to happen.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
worst case scenario in Seattle is 5 years in Key while the SoDo arena falls apart and Levin goes back to the suburbs to build. But with the NBA TV deals being done this summer, that seems unlikely to happen.

Umm if there is an agreement to change the MOU for hockey first. The arena will get built. I'm sure there are talks regarding changing the MOU behind closed doors between Hansen, NHL owner and the NHL.

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec
Even if Seattle was ready like quebec that still doesn't mean we would get the coyotes.

Like i said until NHL says Seattle is out or the Coyotes, Seattle still has a chance at getting them.

NHL owns the team and if they want the team in seattle the team will be in seattle regardless of the temporary arena situation.

NHL owns the team in Phoenix. The NHL will go to the place that will pay the NHL asking price and to the place who can make run the team next year.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Umm if there is an agreement to change the MOU for hockey first. The arena will get built. I'm sure there are talks regarding changing the MOU behind closed doors between Hansen, NHL owner and the NHL.

I agree, I don't an owner moves the yotes up here without shovel in ground for new arena.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Seattle loves the Seahawks and the Sounders. And maybe UW basketball.

Otherwise, Seattle sucks as a sports town.

Send the Coyotes to QC.

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec

That's what I explain. This is not SURE that the arena will be build. NHL want to be sure that everything will work in Seattle before shipping the Coyotes.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
NHL owns the team in Phoenix. The NHL will go to the place that will pay the NHL asking price and to the place who can make run the team next year.

They could doesn't mean they will. Quebec is a better market than Seattle. Better market = higher expansion fee.

Like i said if NHL wants coyotes in Seattle then the coyotes will be in Seattle. It doesn't matter who is willing to pay for the higher price.

Remember the whole NBA kings situations Hansen was offering the most money to the Maloofs. Yet NBA forced them to accept a lower offer and they didn't even own the team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That's what I explain. This is not SURE that the arena will be build. NHL want to be sure that everything will work in Seattle before shipping the Coyotes.

And who says those discussions aren't already going on behind closed doors. Something is happening behind closed doors or why else would hansen say publicly he is will to change the agreement.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Maybe they think they can get a higher expansion fee from QC than Seattle.

It seems ironic how Canadians love of hockey is used by the NHL against them.

Their undeniable thirst for NHL hockey has them paying the very highest ticket prices in the league.

It apparently also serves to keep Canadian cities on the back burner when it comes to relocating failed franchises(where fans pay peanuts for THEIR tickets, mind you).

The NHL's thinking appears to be that Canadian cities can always be called upon in a pinch when a location for a franchise is needed. That being the case, only American markets need to be courted; the Canadian ones become fall back positions the NHL can exploit at will.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
So if the team is not competitive, you are saying that attendences will be down significantly?

Isn't that what has happened in Phoenix and started this issue to begin with?

Name me any new market where the team stinks for long periods of time and the fans come out, win or lose.

Phoenix won, and still didn't draw is my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad