THN: Coyotes to Seattle this Summer? UPD: Healy - Jul2 for COG, or it's Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Question, will the City accept to revise the MOU?

Yes, why wouldn't they? Hansen and Ballmer are still providing most of the monies, if the only thing that really has to change is who has to come first, not sure if there is any reason for the city to hold it up.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Just listened to Pierre Maguire on Team1200 Ottawa, he has heard that Seattle is the frontrunner for Phoenix if they move. The league likes the idea of being main tenant in Seattle now that Sacramento is not moving there. And there is a deep-pocketed owner in the Chicago area that is interested in buying and moving there. My guess is Don Levin.

That is Don Levin yup.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
You are right, however, the lack of any progress/news about the new arena in Seattle since Sacramento did not move there is concerning. The arena was to be bankrolled by a potential NBA owner with the NHL being allowed to play there. Unless there has been a change of heart or someone who wants to own an NHL team in Seattle comes forward with a plan in place to pay for an arena, to say Key Arena would be a 1-3 year stop gap would at best be just a guess.

Hansen has already said willing to revise MOU to allow Hockey to come first and that he has been in contact with potential hockey owners.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yes, why wouldn't they? Hansen and Ballmer are still providing most of the monies, if the only thing that really has to change is who has to come first, not sure if there is any reason for the city to hold it up.

That's my thought as well.

Though IMO, the MOU would need to be revised before an NHL awards a team there.
Curious, would the revision need to take place on a city level, county or both?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
That's my thought as well.

Though IMO, the MOU would need to be revised before an NHL awards a team there.
Curious, would the revision need to take place on a city level, county or both?

Both, but since most of the risk/reward for the building was at the city level, the county level vote was kind of an afterthought.

Although I am enjoying reading some still thinking that Coyotes can't come to Seattle because an NBA team has to be in Seattle first. It has already been established that Hansen is willing to renegotiate the MOU to allow Hockey first.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Both, but since most of the risk/reward for the building was at the city level, the county level vote was kind of an afterthought.

Although I am enjoying reading some still thinking that Coyotes can't come to Seattle because an NBA team has to be in Seattle first. It has already been established that Hansen is willing to renegotiate the MOU to allow Hockey first.

Thanks for clarificiation. I'm just wondering if there is enough time to revise it for the NHL's decision which doesn't seem too far away.

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec

Yeah. Why need an arena for hockey?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Yeah. Why need an arena for hockey?

What are you even talking about? If the Yotes are purchased, then the arena work would begin once the mou is revised.

They would play in the key for 2-3 years max, and then move into paradise.

This thought that the yotes would play in the key for 5-6 years is based on not understanding the details of the arrangement and the timeline of the EIS and arena process in Seattle.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Thanks for clarificiation. I'm just wondering if there is enough time to revise it for the NHL's decision which doesn't seem too far away.

It depends when they started talking to Hansen about it. If he publicly opined on his willingness to consider changing the MOU, I personally think he has been in regular contact with the would-be owner(s) and NHL. The arena has been approved, in principle. Hansen is still the front man. It shouldn't be that difficult to change the wording on who comes first IF Hansen has his assurance about an NBA team eventually coming (clearly, his group has the money) and the NHL side partners with him to share the arena risk.

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
My question is about where the team stays in the interim. Campbell's column said that while he thinks the Coyotes play at KeyArena next October, he also pointed out that the refrigeration apparatus has been dismantled and covered up. Is less than 100 days enough time to rebuild a building's ice-making facilities? If not, how viable is the Tacoma Dome? I'd assume average construction time has the arena ready in time for the start of the 2016-17 season, with an optimistic opening during the second half of the 2015-16 season.

I'll also say this much: there's an awful amount of smoke to this Seattle talk, even though Quebec City has a good number of infrastructure advantages. They'd better be ready in the Pacific Northwest.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My question is about where the team stays in the interim. Campbell's column said that while he thinks the Coyotes play at KeyArena next October, he also pointed out that the refrigeration apparatus has been dismantled and covered up. Is less than 100 days enough time to rebuild a building's ice-making facilities? If not, how viable is the Tacoma Dome? I'd assume average construction time has the arena ready in time for the start of the 2016-17 season, with an optimistic opening during the second half of the 2015-16 season.

I'll also say this much: there's an awful amount of smoke to this Seattle talk, even though Quebec City has a good number of infrastructure advantages. They'd better be ready in the Pacific Northwest.

Umm key arena's ice making still functions. Tacoma dome is out and has been out for quite some time. Too expensive

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
Umm key arena's ice making still functions. Tacoma dome is out and has been out for quite some time. Too expensive

Ken Campbell needs some help then, because a direct quote from the article is that KeyArena's ice-making facilities are gone, with the Tacoma Dome as Plan B.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ken Campbell needs some help then, because a direct quote from the article is that KeyArena's ice-making facilities are gone, with the Tacoma Dome as Plan B.

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/NHL...-in-doubt-prompts-Seattle-talk-211315311.html

Deborah Daoust, a spokesperson for Seattle Center and Key Arena, said Tuesday night that the ice making equipment and chilling system are still operational and have been used in the past for events like the Ice Capades and Disney on Ice. However, she said there had been no discussion, that she was aware of, concerning use for a hockey team. The arena recently freed up the dates that were held for an NBA franchise.

This says its still in operation

Tacoma dome no longer has its ice-making facilities and there was study done and it would require 200-300m in renovations to make T-dome work.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Houston may be a good option for relocation of the Coyotes. With the AHL Aeros leaving for Iowa, I'm sure the fans would welcome the opportunity to have the NHL in town. If Houston could have held on for one more year in the WHA, they may very well have been included in the merger with the NHL following the 1978-79 season.

A relocation from Phoenix to Houston would have a minimal impact on the rest of the league. Seattle may also be a good option but could be better suited for an expansion location in a couple of years once a new arena is built. Southern Ontario would also be a good expansion location.

Quebec appears to be a contender as well but I'm wondering if league officials would prefer not to go there in order to avoid language issues. They may not want to admit it publicly but it could be something that concerns them when you look at what happened with the press in Monteal during the tenure of Randy Cunneyworth as coach and the fact that he did not speak french. The Coyotes recently extended the term of GM Don Maloney and that could become another source of consternation with the press in Quebec if the team were to be relocated there if he only speaks english.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Houston may be a good option for relocation of the Coyotes. With the AHL Aeros leaving for Iowa, I'm sure the fans would welcome the opportunity to have the NHL in town. If Houston could have held on for one more year in the WHA, they may very well have been included in the merger with the NHL following the 1978-79 season.

A relocation from Phoenix to Houston would have a minimal impact on the rest of the league. Seattle may also be a good option but could be better suited for an expansion location in a couple of years once a new arena is built. Southern Ontario would also be a good expansion location.

If Houston is such a great market, why did the Aeros leave in the first place?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
It seems that people believe the MOU's NBA first clause is there because the city only wants the NBA team and is stupid enough to turn down a free arena if they don't get it. All Seattle wants is a guaranteed tenant, the reason it was written the way it was is that Hansen and his NBA group wrote the thing. Now that he's come out and said he'd be willing to amend to allow the NHL to come first, I get the sense that he wants work to start on the arena ASAP to be ready in time for NBA expansion in two years.

if there's this much smoke, there's at least a small fire here. I've yet to see a convincing argument for why the NHL would leak this if they still intended the team to be in QC next season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It seems that people believe the MOU's NBA first clause is there because the city only wants the NBA team and is stupid enough to turn down a free arena if they don't get it. All Seattle wants is a guaranteed tenant, the reason it was written the way it was is that Hansen and his NBA group wrote the thing. Now that he's come out and said he'd be willing to amend to allow the NHL to come first, I get the sense that he wants work to start on the arena ASAP to be ready in time for NBA expansion in two years.

if there's this much smoke, there's at least a small fire here. I've yet to see a convincing argument for why the NHL would leak this if they still intended the team to be in QC next season.

My first thought is why would hansen publicly say he is open to amending the MOU to allow hockey first if there was no chance that a NHL will come first before a NBA team.

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec
What are you even talking about? If the Yotes are purchased, then the arena work would begin once the mou is revised.

They would play in the key for 2-3 years max, and then move into paradise.

This thought that the yotes would play in the key for 5-6 years is based on not understanding the details of the arrangement and the timeline of the EIS and arena process in Seattle.

IF and IF. Seattle is only talking now and not acting. That's why Quebec is the only possible relocation. We're ready and Seattle is not.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
IF and IF. Seattle is only talking now and not acting. That's why Quebec is the only possible relocation. We're ready and Seattle is not.

Until NHL says Seattle is no longer being considered for the Coyotes then Seattle remains an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad