This Year's Devils Team: Their Most Boring Team Ever?!?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We are a boring team right now. Missing Elias and Brunner doesn't help, but we don't have any game breaking talent like we did in the past.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think I might have to agree.

And I'd add that I NEVER thought the Devils were boring even when they were playing the circa mid-1990s trap, that was mostly jealousy and ignorance. But I do admit there are times when I have the Devils on this year and I'm reading CNN.com or other sports or weather stuff instead of watching the game because I find it more interesting.

Truth is, this is a highly predictable, and fairly lame team as currently structured.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
We’re not New Jersey. We don’t play a boring brand of hockey.” - Senator's owner Eugene Melnyk

I cringe whenever I hear that guy's name.

It's a travesty and a serious miscarriage of the Canadian justice system that he's not in jail.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Last year's team was much worse for me, especially when Kovalchuk was out. At least we're not stuck watching D'agostini and Steve Sullivan play top 6 positions.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
nothing boring about being in 30 one goal games and only 2 points out of a play off spot with an outdoor game vs the rangers in yankee stadium less than 10 days away AND with the olympics coming up....I LOVE THIS TEAM AND I LOVE THIS GAME WE CALL HOCKEY

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I think I might have to agree.

And I'd add that I NEVER thought the Devils were boring even when they were playing the circa mid-1990s trap, that was mostly jealousy and ignorance. But I do admit there are times when I have the Devils on this year and I'm reading CNN.com or other sports or weather stuff instead of watching the game because I find it more interesting.

Truth is, this is a highly predictable, and fairly lame team as currently structured.

I think this is the key difference for me. I'm not bored with the game, I'm bored with the same outcomes - disappointment and frustration.

The shootout is the perfect example. It's no fun knowing the outcome before it even begins. We might as well watch old lottery drawings.

Feb 16, 2013
NJ
I think the 2013-2014 new jersey devils have been a very fun team to watch and i think they will be back in the playoffs when the 82 game schedule concludes .

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I don't think this team is boring. But opposing fans complaining about the Devils being boring, trapping, clogging the NZ and whatever the prevailing narrative is is tired and boring. That's about it.

Someone needs to send a league-wide memo.

We could play the Hawks in a 4-3, exciting game and all you'll read is "omg the dovals are boring! they'll clog the nz now and won't take one shot!" And it's like the exact opposite of what's going on.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
I don't think this team is boring. But opposing fans complaining about the Devils being boring, trapping, clogging the NZ and whatever the prevailing narrative is is tired and boring. That's about it.

Someone needs to send a league-wide memo.

We could play the Hawks in a 4-3, exciting game and all you'll read is "omg the dovals are boring! they'll clog the nz now and won't take one shot!" And it's like the exact opposite of what's going on.

win in Boston when Andy Greene scored the GW....not boring
beating the ducks in OT....not boring
beating the kings in OT....not boring
coming back to beat the caps in washington...not boring
smacking the rangers three times so far...not boring
4-3 loss to the hawks....not boring

it's all about perception my freinds

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
win in Boston when Andy Greene scored the GW....not boring
beating the ducks in OT....not boring
beating the kings in OT....not boring
coming back to beat the caps in washington...not boring
smacking the rangers three times so far...not boring
4-3 loss to the hawks....not boring

it's all about perception my freinds

We play games tight, and thus we will have games where we win in OT. And winning in OT brings a level of excitement. But our style, which limits shots, doesn't generate many shots, doesn't allow or generate many goals, and is focused on board play, as opposed to center of the ice, is not exceptionally entertaining. Especially in the regular season.

Also the Kings game was one in which we were getting shellacked, but goal tending kept us in it, then we somehow found a way to win in OT. I wouldn't credit our style of play as making that an entertaining game. And there are games similar above that were entertaining but were not a result of "Devils hockey" per se.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
This is not close to the most boring team.

We are punchless and can't score, but on most nights not for a lack of effort.

First two periods last night,.shutout losses to Wild & Philly, loss to Wings and a few other games were worse than counting grass blades at a golf course.

But to watch Jagr and Marty still compete is usually fun most nights.

HunteDxEntitY

Jan 5, 2014
Section 118
I mean when you lose Parise, Kovalchuk, Clarkson in two years goal scoring is going to drop.. not a ton of attractive free agents hitting the market this offseason though.. We need a showstopper!

HunteDxEntitY

Jan 5, 2014
Section 118
Also, this definitely has not been a boring season.. most games we are within a goal or tied going into the third, and I've enjoyed my season tickets this year a lot!

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I mean when you lose Parise, Kovalchuk, Clarkson in two years goal scoring is going to drop.. not a ton of attractive free agents hitting the market this offseason though.. We need a showstopper!

sure but theres no good reason for the level of anemic goalscoring on our team. theres plenty of guys who can score that arent

HunteDxEntitY

Jan 5, 2014
Section 118
sure but theres no good reason for the level of anemic goalscoring on our team. theres plenty of guys who can score that arent

I personally think the Captain needs to change.. I know others that don't mind Salvador as a captain, but I would rather see someone else step into that role.

GoDevils1983*

Most boring team ever? Are you seriously kidding? Did you watch the passive 100 pt teams we had that kept being eliminated in the 1st round of the playoffs year after year and had no O from the D? Super passive trap and no hitting. It was beyond horrible. At least with this team now we are expected to be terrible but have had some bright moments and see players that we can look to the future and expect to see there and count on. Gelinas, Schneider, etc.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
What I find boring is the shootout. I probably shouldn't post this when we are 0-8 as it seems like simple sour grapes, but even the highlight shows (On the Fly, NHL tonight don't bother to show them now; just the winning goal, maybe a missed shot that could have kept it limping along even longer, no replays). They don't even bother with "the most exciting play in hockey" due to the embarrassment of having to lie every night on behalf of your employers eventually overriding the cheerleader expectations.
Back in '05 they used to show every repetitious failed shot even in a 20 player exhibition of how boring the contest is when divorced from true competition.
Why on earth they still haven't embraced Ken Holland' three on three to follow four on four when necessary and three points total per game (3 for a regulation win, 2 in OT, 1 for an OT loss) is beyond me. If it's just because TV wants a more predictable timing to end their broadcasts then do away with regular season OT (save it for the playoffs when it's special) and embrace the tie once again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad