This Year's Devils Team: Their Most Boring Team Ever?!?

Mory Schneideur*

NJ Devils: Boring hockey, boring fans. Its a trap! (everyone busts out into the Harlem Shake)

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Nowhere near as boring as those mid-2000s Madden Pandolfo White dump the puck fests.

Definitely frustrating.

I think the thing that makes it exciting for me is the promise of Gelinas and Merrill, and just getting a chance to watch Jagr play.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yes it's boring but not as boring as the good old days of the trap. If we got a one goal lead it was pretty much lights out game over and if we had the lead going into the third just turn the TV off, guaranteed win. Very comforting but yes boring.

This team at the moment is very hard to watch, just tedious, insanely frustrating and I expect them to blow the lead instead of lock it down. Combine that with asinine boneheaded lineup decisions, Lou's comical handling of the roster, the absolute futility of trying to score, soft coverage in front of our own net, Pete's pets getting 43,675 minutes a game and the double standards I want to punch babies, kick dogs, slap my girlfriend and throw kittens into wood chippers.

In all the years of watching this team since it's inception never have I had such rage and angst following the Devils.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I wouldn't say boring, more frustrating. I've watched quite a few games that this team should have won, instead found a way to lose them. I'm actually surprised they beat the Stars 1-0. I figured they would give up the tying goal in the final minute and lose in a shoot-out. I will say that they're pretty slow.

I think this is the most frustrating season I can remember. The whole draft pick thing has kind of cast a gray cloud over the entire season. We need to win as many games as possible to avoid giving up an embarrassingly high draft pick and yet a lot of the player personnel decisions make it seem like the opposite.

When Volchenkov and Salvidor were out it was actually fairly enjoyable to watch a defense that could generate offense from the backend for the first time in forever. Now, not so much.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Well we just lost one of the most prolific players in the past decade, for nothing, and another premier top 15 winger in the world, for nothing, and our star forward is declining ever so slightly (Elias). All of this without adding any top offensive talent (not saying that is easy).

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
It's the team speed that makes this such a bad product. In the past teams we had players that could straight up fly. Watching Sislo and Ryder's legs yesterday was about the fastest thing we've seen all year.

Rad Dude83

Jun 23, 2013
Jersey
Oddly, I feel the same. Been a fan since 90. Past 10 years I watched almost every game. This year I missed a bunch. It might be the tight schedule, or the fact that I know they can't put the biscuit in the basket.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Part of me enjoyed seeing the Devils win 1-0 last night. Brought me back to the good old days when it was like crawling under a barbed wire fence with a wool sweater on for the opposition

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
Thanks folks! I believe its a lot of all our responses combined.

The bottom line; it seems that the Devil's Product isn't sexy or current. It's old, recycled, been-there-done-that, beat-down & tired. And the status quo quotes is also getting old!

Sorta like today's hollywood movies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

The bottom line; it seems that the Devil's Product isn't sexy or current. It's old, recycled, been-there-done-that, beat-down & tired. And the status quo quotes is also getting old!

Largely because you rarely see 4 lines forced into this stringent mold of board-centric play style. Typically, the first two scoring lines on a NHL squad are given far greater options in terms of play judgement and improvisation. Conversely, the bottom two checking lines are usually assigned to play a dump and chase style with a focus on goal prevention. Secondly, look at our personnel. It's almost like Lou constructed this ragtag crew backwards.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
I think its quite the opposite. team has too much substance and not enough flash. but I see what you mean too

And I get what you mean too.

I was referring to how Hollywood is so inept at creating new stories, they recycle the old & try to rebrand it as something special.

The Lone Ranger, Gozilla, Green Latern, etc.....

Like this Devils team.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Well right now the Devils are missing arguably the 2 most exciting players (Brunner and Elias).

But when healthy this lineup isn't THAT boring. I think the lack of a Kovalchuk/Ovechkin type of player is better for depth/sustainability although having a Parise type of player would be different but Parise made the Devils exciting while being different that a Kovy/Ovi.

Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr
Elias-Loktionov-Brunner
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Sislo/Bernier/Carter/Josefson

cleaner claude

Oct 4, 2012

There's been some awesome movies this year. Haven't fallen asleep during any of the ones I've watched, cant say the same for this Devils team though.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I do think a lot of it has to do with Kovalchuk bouncing. When the face of the franchise and the most exciting player on the team leaves then things are going to be different. Whether you liked him or not, people DID pay good money to watch him play and there was a huge buzz about the team after the initial trade and then resigning (as crazy as a fiasco as that was). You can say the same thing about the Parise situation as well. When both of your fan favorites and franchise players leave then the team is going to be significantly worse. There is no face of the franchise and young star on this team which is why its tough for people to get attached to this group.

And yea there style of play does tend to make me nod off for significant stretches of play. The amount of times they have been shutout or scored 1 goal is alarming. The system keeps them in games but it can hurt the eyes to watch.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Honestly I'd be perfectly happy with this team if we could just score more than two goals a game semi-regularly. Every game where more than one goes in against us, I just know we'll lose.

We do great work cycling and such in the offensive zone, and our forecheck is great to watch. We just can't pot a dumb goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00