This Year's Devils Team: Their Most Boring Team Ever?!?

MountainGoat

less goals = boring

I've never seen a group of forwards with such a profound lack of finishing ability

the offense needs a serious upgrade

BuiltLikeAnOx

Lou has dementia
Oct 22, 2013
if we win its not boring if we win 1-0 its painfully stressful and nervewracking

they seem to have a problem extending their leads to 2 goals

BuiltLikeAnOx

Lou has dementia
Oct 22, 2013
well we've lost more games than we've won....so I guess we're a boring team

most of the games we lost this year have not been boring either. I'm on the edge of my seat for most of them next year they will probably win ten more games in the extended 3 on 3 overtime format

shootouts need to be abolished

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
most of the games we lost this year have not been boring either. I'm on the edge of my seat for most of them next year they will probably win ten more games in the extended 3 on 3 overtime format

shootouts need to be abolished

who said the shootout will be gone next season? I think its just talk right now

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Some games have been rather dull, but I wouldn't say they're a boring team. The system is rather predictable, but if they were scoring 3 goals a game with it I don't think we'd be complaining.

NC107*

Boring? Frustrating?

I would say Frustrating because the coach is frustrating with his use of players and game strategy. I would say Frustrating because the GM hired some of these players and allows the coach to improperly use players to win games. I would say Frustrating because it appears that the Devils management/ownership doesn't care about the hockey product on the ice they will use the excuse of injuries.

Example to think that the coach will depend on Gionta to protect a lead, be on the PK and be on the ice for 17 minutes and the GM allows this that's Frustrating. Watching Marty age before our eyes while the replacement gets splinters that's Frustrating, it's a wasted year why not make the change before age forces the change and embarrasses Marty, that's Frustrating.

If Frustrating is Boring then the Devils are Boring.

engy

Mar 12, 2012
I agree. Lack of high-end players, a dithering idiot coach, a frustrating, repetitive, unrewarding system, ho-hum play-by-play announcers, glaring absence of impassioned plays and performances. Last year was tough on the eyes, but this year just turned me off.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Yes

1000%

worst team I've ever watched, and that includes the awful 2011 season

the losing + the lack of punch, lack of skill makes for a frightening display

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't too interested in this year's team. They're not even that bad of a team, but the games just haven't been that fun to watch.

Winning 1-0 isn't always that exciting, especially since they're aren't always a lot of scoring chances in games this year for NJ. Even though the 3rd period collapses are maddening, they're at least exciting. Making losing exciting wouldn't actually bother me too much to be honest.

The lack of fighting and general physical play from this year's team is annoying. Thankfully, Janssen is up in NJ and Clowe is back from injury.

I really miss the team from two years ago. And I'm just talking about regular season. That regular season was so fun when it was Parise, Kovalchuk, Henrique, Clarkson, and Elias racking up the points. Shootouts were actually decent to watch since Kovalchuk and Parise were virtually automatic in them. All the games against the Rangers were great too with Janssen, Boulton, Clarkson, and Carter getting in brawls and just the general animosity between both teams.

Although, this game right now (at least this period) has been pretty fun to watch. I don't necessarily need goals, but I need scoring chances. And big hits and fighting.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
We had a lot of games where we were losing and sent them to overtime. There was also the Boston game and another one where we were trailing by 3 and we came back. Cant remember off the top of my head. Lots of lead changes and last minute stuff. It depends on what you think is boring.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
A GM that refuses to rebuild with a team full of complementary players. With kids on the cusp of sticking on an NHL roster but can't. I have never witnessed anything like this before. It makes me sick seeing Gelinas sitting on the bench being treated WORSE than Larsson. This is just abysmal from top to bottom.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Haha I told you these games can be exciting. Depends on your expectations. Even if we lose and send them to overtime on exciting plays it adds to the product.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
nah no way.. there was a couple season after the lockout where we were really boring besides the 05-06 season.. and the 01-02 devils team I remember being a very boring team as well..

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Boring? Frustrating?

I would say Frustrating because the coach is frustrating with his use of players and game strategy. I would say Frustrating because the GM hired some of these players and allows the coach to improperly use players to win games. I would say Frustrating because it appears that the Devils management/ownership doesn't care about the hockey product on the ice they will use the excuse of injuries.

Example to think that the coach will depend on Gionta to protect a lead, be on the PK and be on the ice for 17 minutes and the GM allows this that's Frustrating. Watching Marty age before our eyes while the replacement gets splinters that's Frustrating, it's a wasted year why not make the change before age forces the change and embarrasses Marty, that's Frustrating.

If Frustrating is Boring then the Devils are Boring.

yeah I agree I think a lot of people are confusing frustrating with boring.. we play a much more exciting style under DeBoer than we ever did under Lemaire, Sutter, or Julien.. even if were not as winning as much..

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
yes i found the 2011 more interesting in every way

this is the same ****show every night

No way. You're describing the '11 team with that one. That was just depressing because you knew going in to every game what would happen and then it did.

You guys have some short memories if you think this team is boring. It's just an average team that lacks some serious star power at forward we are used to. There were a lot of average Devils teams in the 00's.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00