Speculation: This trade deadline you are GM for your team. And only for the deadline.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Well, now that I've gotten a job with the Flyers, I'm part of the Old Boys Club, so I'm good for jobs for the rest of my life, but I'd hire myself as AVP of Hockey Ops anyway, just to make sure.

Beyond that, I'm hanging a big ol' For Sale sign in the window on damn near everyone. I'll want to avail myself of the best possible offers on Walker, Ristolainen, and Laughton, will take damn near whatever I can get for Atkinson, Deslauriers, Hathaway, and Staal, and would listen to offers for Seeler (who, of the non-Sanheim vets on the blue line, is the one I'd be most inclined to keep around over the next couple years; if the offer doesn't blow me away, I'm extending him) and Konecny.

I'm equally interested in picks and prospects in return, and will take cap dumps/retain as necessary to improve the value of incoming offers. I have two retention slots available, and would use one on a longer term contract at maximum; the other is only available for retention on a pending UFA (Walker, Staal, or Seeler), so I or my successor can have access to it in future years.

And just to make sure the matter is settled, I work on a longer-term extension for Morgan Frost, as he's the one 2025 RFA I'm not sure we're definitely planning on a future deal with. I think we should keep him, so I'll take care of that myself.

Are you Voracek? He’s the only poster on this board qualified to answer this question, because he is the only one here with the credentials the Flyers are looking for.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Are you Voracek? He’s the only poster on this board qualified to answer this question, because he is the only one here with the credentials the Flyers are looking for.
I'm not, but if it helps, I can also tweet bennysflyers16 to get a life. That's kind of like being Voracek...

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
what Ottawa will do ?
Have they droped the ball allready ?
if so what's on the table ?
Don't think they will go on a reset, seems like the have what it takes to be a playoff team.

Giroux ?
Tarasenko ?
Chychrun ?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
1) Trade Kuzmenko to Chicago

2) Use the cap space to acquire Claude Giroux from the Senators (if he's willing to leave Ottawa). Try to get the Sens to retain some salary, even if an extra pick needs to be added.

3) Throw Soucy on LTIR until the end of the regular season (aka the Nikita Kucherov strategy)

4) Acquire Chris Tanev

5) Sign Phil Kessel to a league min contract
For me I'd

I'd aquire Lindholm and Guentzel max retention (75%) without trading Podz, Raty or Willander, any other pick or prospect on the table.
I'd move Mikheyev before Kuzmenko only because he's better suited in the bottom six here.
Moving him and after retention leaves us just over 1.5 million to address the D with either Tanev or TVR etc.
I mean a top 6 of the lotto line, along with Lindholm, Guentzel and Kuzmenko is pretty damn fantastic and well worth losing the likes of Lekkerimakki, Brusteivich, 1st, 2nd and whatever else it costs.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'd trade Monahan, Allen and Armia. For picks mainly.

Use a late 1st pick to get a reclamation project in exchange for one or multiple of our late failures.

Use our surplus of late picks (5, 6, 7) to dump contracts or upgrade them.

Sip pina colada, knowing teams rebuild themselves on their own.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
What would you do for your team if you got to sit in the GM seat and had 100% autonomy on your choices for the team? Players you’d trade away? Contracts you’d throw at pending free agents? What you’d be willing to trade away to strengthen the team?

For myself I’m a Pittsburgh fan. For my I think at best even with Sid having an absolutely insane year for the year he is having. The team is a bubble team at best. I’d trade Guentzel for the best package I can get. If you resign him he’s gonna handcuff the cap and he is 30 a bit small and has played a rough style of play. I don’t think he will age well. Trade him for the best pick/prospect/roster player combination you can get.

Flip a pick to get Graves off the team. Flip a 2nd + long shot AHL player to get someone to take on Graves. POJ isn’t any better than him but costs a fraction for the same result. Bundle whatever you need to other than a 1st to push Grave’s off the roster. Free up cap for the off-season.

Trade Jarry / Extend Ned. Jarry’s value isn’t going to be higher than it is right now and there are a few teams looking to solve their goalie situations coming into this deadline. Trade Jarry, extended Ned, find a capable backup in the off season to play 25-30 games in the off season.

What would you do for your team?

I dont really get this for Pittsburgh.

Personally I think the team/core potentially has one more run in them. As such, I'd be more tempted to go all in.

But - if you truly believe its a lost cause and they dont have one more run, why such a tepid sale? Blow it up completely. Sell off Sid, Malkin and whoever else for max returns to rebuild fully.

To me for Pittsburgh its one or the other extreme. Anything in between seems unnecessary

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
As the Red Wings GM I stand pat unless I could find a hockey deal for a young RD.
ASP will be the 2nd pairing RD on this team for a decade+ in 2 years. Trading for a U25 RHD is pointless unless we want to bury them below ASP or trade ASP.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What would you do for your team if you got to sit in the GM seat and had 100% autonomy on your choices for the team? Players you’d trade away? Contracts you’d throw at pending free agents? What you’d be willing to trade away to strengthen the team?

For myself I’m a Pittsburgh fan. For my I think at best even with Sid having an absolutely insane year for the year he is having. The team is a bubble team at best. I’d trade Guentzel for the best package I can get. If you resign him he’s gonna handcuff the cap and he is 30 a bit small and has played a rough style of play. I don’t think he will age well. Trade him for the best pick/prospect/roster player combination you can get.

Flip a pick to get Graves off the team. Flip a 2nd + long shot AHL player to get someone to take on Graves. POJ isn’t any better than him but costs a fraction for the same result. Bundle whatever you need to other than a 1st to push Grave’s off the roster. Free up cap for the off-season.

Trade Jarry / Extend Ned. Jarry’s value isn’t going to be higher than it is right now and there are a few teams looking to solve their goalie situations coming into this deadline. Trade Jarry, extended Ned, find a capable backup in the off season to play 25-30 games in the off season.

What would you do for your team?
This is hard to say as the other team my not agree. I would add Monahan but not at the prices Montreal fans want ( Most not all ). A 2nd and a C prospect sure. A 1st no way.

Last edited:

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
ASP will be the 2nd pairing RD on this team for a decade+ in 2 years. Trading for a U25 RHD is pointless unless we want to bury them below ASP or trade ASP.

Just like Jarnkrok would be Zetterberg's replacement and Mantha would be an allstar 1st line winger. Maybe let the kid play a season in the show before you start counting your chickens.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Just like Jarnkrok would be Zetterberg's replacement and Mantha would be an allstar 1st line winger. Maybe let the kid play a season in the show before you start counting your chickens.
Sure. It still doesn’t make sense to trade expensive assets for a U25 RHD (because any such player would be expensive), because unless ASP busts, that player will have to be moved when ASP makes the NHL.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I would kick tires on Michael McCarron. The numbers look OK defensively but would need to be sure. Also scout Colin Blackwell,
I would try to add Mackenzie Blackwood.
I would try to add Nick Seeler. Colin Miller would be my back up plan. I would scout Marc Staal to see if there was anything left.

Oilers have scant cap space so no big moves are coming.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
This is hard to say as the other team my not agree. I would add Monahan but not at the prices Montreal fans want ( Most not all ). A 2nd and a C prospect sure. A 1st no way.
I read that as a centre prospect - so in My new temporary role as Habs GM I went to see what centre prospects you have and all I could find was a bunch of B and C prospects- then I figured it out.

What is plan B if someone offers more for Monahan? Not opposed to something around a 2nd but a 2nd thats likely to be 60 OA does not interest me. The jets have a 2nd that will be almost a 1st (mtl's 2nd via LA PLD trade, via arizona (durzi trade) - I think it came the Dovork trade. That pick is well traveled. If it has to be a 2nd that's the one I want.

If you want to consider a 1st I can offer Monahan and a d man. I want to move Savard too and being lazy would love to get all my moves done in one trade.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Sure. It still doesn’t make sense to trade expensive assets for a U25 RHD (because any such player would be expensive), because unless ASP busts, that player will have to be moved when ASP makes the NHL.

I just don't agree on not upgrading a roster based on what a prospect might be years down the road. Having a surplus in a valuable position is a better problem to have than a struggling prospect with no one to insulate him. It wasn't that long ago David Rundblad was the highest touted defensive prospect in the league, and look how that turned out. You hope prospects turn into impact players, you don't plan on it. Especially at the point the Wings are at right now where they're close to breaking out of being a bubble team.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I just don't agree on not upgrading a roster based on what a prospect might be years down the road. Having a surplus in a valuable position is a better problem to have than a struggling prospect with no one to insulate him. It wasn't that long ago David Rundblad was the highest touted defensive prospect in the league, and look how that turned out. You hope prospects turn into impact players, you don't plan on it. Especially at the point the Wings are at right now where they're close to breaking out of being a bubble team.
Right, but a young RHD isn’t even a need for the team. Hanifin would fit much better as we don’t have anybody that can carry a pair other than Seider, and there is nobody in the prospect pool who would possibly bump him out of a top 4 spot (Ed can play top pair w Mo, and Wallinder/Johansson are not going to be better than Hanifin). That’s a much better target IMO than a player who might be obtainable internally.

Reactions: Blueston

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
what Ottawa will do ?
Have they droped the ball allready ?
if so what's on the table ?
Don't think they will go on a reset, seems like the have what it takes to be a playoff team.

Giroux ?
Tarasenko ?
Chychrun ?

Obvious moves include moving on from Tarasenko and Kubalik at forward, less obvious is a shakeup of the defensive corps. Does Chabot or Chychyrun move to make way for a RD that will balance the group?

I think yes, if Chychyrun doesn't want to extend - he'll be dealt but most likely near or at the draft.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
detroit is not going to win the cup no matter who they would add so i wouldnt spend any valuable futures . mean while theyve a situation with two vet ufa that are worth something in ghost n sprong , and that can be replaced with their two most ready prospects in berggren n edvinnson . ghost at 4$ and sprong at 2 . retain 50% on ghost and you create a cheap offensive boosting two player package . plus detroit can take back an expiring contract . ide look to get a solid prospect in return
EDIT : sprongs attitude / shot / wheels have grown on me and ide prefer he re-signs . ghost though ide prefer trading and replacing with edvinsson . something like ghost + 2024 3rd for a 2024 2nd

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I am fully aware about ASP but we have no idea how long it is going to take for him to come to NA and get acclimated to the game here.
We need 3 RD defensemen we have 1.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I start negotiating a deal with Dubas around Marner and geuntzel and then with Nashville around Nylander and soros

If the Pittsburgh deal doesn’t work I start adding Marner to the Nylander deal and try to work something around josi/saros and Marner/nylander

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I dont really get this for Pittsburgh.

Personally I think the team/core potentially has one more run in them. As such, I'd be more tempted to go all in.

But - if you truly believe its a lost cause and they dont have one more run, why such a tepid sale? Blow it up completely. Sell off Sid, Malkin and whoever else for max returns to rebuild fully.

To me for Pittsburgh its one or the other extreme. Anything in between seems unnecessary

Marner to Pittsburgh for one final big run!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kevyn Adams - I resign my position due to being a coward who is woefully unqualified.

If you were transformed into Adams, I would expect to hear some headline of "hockey exec punches himself in the junk until losing consciousness".

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think we stay in the playoff race for the rest of the season and there is going to be no issue with possibly falling out. So I am a buyer and willing to offload a big piece to get a bigger one.

trade veleno, maatta, perron, ghost, reimer, husso and picks/retention if needed for one of markstrom/saros/vejmelka and one of hanifin/zadorov (if cheap).

If it doesn't cost a lot to do, then probably wouldn't mind going after guentzel and buchnevich, but I'd be content with the above.

As far as the big piece goes, I'd be willing to trade walman if and only if, we have already traded maatta and received hanifin in some other deal. This gives way to edvinsson free and clear to come up. I like walman, rather a lot actually, but I don't know if he will be in the long-term plans or not.

If I get what I want? This is the lineup:

Guentzel - Larkin - Raymond
DBC - Compher - Kane
Berggren - Copp - Sprong
Fabbri - Fischer - Rasmussen
Kostin

Walman - Seider
Hanifin - Petry
Edvinsson - Chiarot
Zadorov

Lyon
Markstrom

the traded players vs the players coming in works under the cap. Gives us a couple more million to resign kane/seider/raymond for next year as well. We are probably losing a lot of picks/prospects in the process though so idk. That's what I'd do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad