Speculation: This trade deadline you are GM for your team. And only for the deadline.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
What would you do for your team if you got to sit in the GM seat and had 100% autonomy on your choices for the team? Players you’d trade away? Contracts you’d throw at pending free agents? What you’d be willing to trade away to strengthen the team?

For myself I’m a Pittsburgh fan. For my I think at best even with Sid having an absolutely insane year for the year he is having. The team is a bubble team at best. I’d trade Guentzel for the best package I can get. If you resign him he’s gonna handcuff the cap and he is 30 a bit small and has played a rough style of play. I don’t think he will age well. Trade him for the best pick/prospect/roster player combination you can get.

Flip a pick to get Graves off the team. Flip a 2nd + long shot AHL player to get someone to take on Graves. POJ isn’t any better than him but costs a fraction for the same result. Bundle whatever you need to other than a 1st to push Grave’s off the roster. Free up cap for the off-season.

Trade Jarry / Extend Ned. Jarry’s value isn’t going to be higher than it is right now and there are a few teams looking to solve their goalie situations coming into this deadline. Trade Jarry, extended Ned, find a capable backup in the off season to play 25-30 games in the off season.

What would you do for your team?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
:naughty: I'd trade RyJo for Sid. The Avs need a 2C upgrade and MacKinnon can always use another buddy to help keep him calm.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
As the Avalanche I would try to move RyJo(cap ) with multiple first round picks in hopes to snag Crosby from Penguins if they blow it up

Reactions: Mac Attack

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
1) Trade Kuzmenko to Chicago

2) Use the cap space to acquire Claude Giroux from the Senators (if he's willing to leave Ottawa). Try to get the Sens to retain some salary, even if an extra pick needs to be added.

3) Throw Soucy on LTIR until the end of the regular season (aka the Nikita Kucherov strategy)

4) Acquire Chris Tanev

5) Sign Phil Kessel to a league min contract

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
If I was Dallas' GM the realistic move I would make is offer Dellandrea, Dadanov, and a 2nd for Tanev and go from there. Would also look at pieces such as Faksa, Lundkvist, or secondary prospects like Stranges or Blumel.

Another trade I'd try for if Seattle was willing to play ball would be to send Lundkvist and a conditional 2nd for Adam Larsson. Let it turn into a 1st if Dallas makes it to the conference finals.

The swing for the fences trade (which is also a pipedream), much like the Philly-Anaheim one would be to try for David Jiricek if he is truly unhappy in Columbus. Dallas needs a long term righty option for Heiskanen, and I think Jiricek would compliment him immensely. It is going to likely cost us Stankoven or Bourque and a 2nd. You might be able to get away with Bischel and a 2nd at least as a base. But the reality is you gotta give to get. If I had to choose between Stankoven and Bourque I think it would rather keep Stankoven, just for the versatility, tenacity, and the similarities to Pavelski he possesses.

Reactions: Nevins

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Players on the block: Trenin, Schenn, Barrie, Nyquist, Lauzon

Some of those likely unmoveable but would try.

Would actively listen on Saros and Sissons, Saros would take a big offer and Sissons if someone is willing to bite on his uptick in production this year

No pressing need to get these done but if the deadline goes crazy there could be some deals to be had.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Here comes Flyers fan

Sean Walker. Not a fan of late 1st round picks. Considering it`s gonna be too hard to receive after Flames-Canucks deal (Zadorov). Would be glad to receive decent prospect who can be ready to play NHL next season. Add some conditional pick would be a perfect deal.
Heard Leafs and Oilers both have some interest. Well would be nice to receive one of the Tverberg/Robertson/Holloway.
Also heard Bolts in conversation. But no interest in their prospects except Alnefelt and Ethan Gauthier. We lost one Gauthier, so NHL should give us compensatory prospect - another Gauthier!

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Trade Fabbri and Ghost (With retention if it adds significant value) and call up Berggren and Edvinsson to replace them.

If we're still deep in the Wild Card race by the TDL, that's my only moves. If we're out of it, trade Perron and Sprong as well. Also Reimer and one of Chiarot/Holl/Petry, if anybody deems any of those guys to have any actual trade value.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I would send a 2nd round pick to Arizona for Bjugstad.

I would send a 1st, Podz, Hunter B and Mik for Giroux.

I would wait to see if Kraken are out of the playoffs and send a package for Adam Larrson

Miller - EP40 - Brock B
Hog - Giroux - Kuzmenko
Dak - Teddy - Garland
Bjug - Suter - Lafferty

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Larsson
Myers - Zad
Cole

Demko
DeSmith

I would sit down the coaching staff and players and tell them that the team is good enough to make a run for the cup and the answers are now in the room and that I feel ive done my job.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
If I was Penguins GM I tray this
To Colorado : Sidney Crosby @ 50%
To Pittsburgh : Col 1st , Byram, Kovalenko, Ritchie

To Dallas: Letang @ 50%
To Pittsburgh : Dal 1st and Stankoven

To Vancouver : Malkin
To Pittsburgh : Vancouver 1st, Kuzmneko and Lekkerimakki
Yes I give the next 2 Stanley cup to this club but my rebuild will be faster.
Penguins don't have help coming from draft for the next 3 years.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
As a Leafs GM, I would just do absolutely nothing. That was easy. This core doesn’t deserve anything until they prove they can win a couple of rounds. You wanted to get paid the big bucks, then do it on your own.

• Love
Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Trade Fabbri and Ghost (With retention if it adds significant value) and call up Berggren and Edvinsson to replace them.

If we're still deep in the Wild Card race by the TDL, that's my only moves. If we're out of it, trade Perron and Sprong as well. Also Reimer and one of Chiarot/Holl/Petry, if anybody deems any of those guys to have any actual trade value.

I like it. I would also see if I could fleece STL out of Buchnevich. We got some D prospects they may like.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
As a Columbus fan Id keep it pretty simple and just try to trim some fat really. Roslovic gone for whatever, likely retained. Try to see if anyone would be silly enough to trade for Peeke. Listen on Provorov and see what teams are willing to spend on a guy that can be retained down to a very manageable 2.36mil.

The team is obviously not in a position to be spending assets and no rush to trade any of the kids

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

I’d love to see Ghost on the Jets. He would have to play his off side but the Jets need to do something about that PP, it’s brutal.

Reactions: mazmin

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Demand the coach scratch Suter, and fire those same coaches if they dressed him for anything but an injury

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd be looking at finding a way to move over performing long term contracts. Trying to capitalize on the fantastic years Coleman, Markstrom, Weegar and Kadri are having.

Weegar, Markstrom and Coleman all should be able to be moved. Kadri doubtful.

I'd be trading Tanev and Lindholm to the highest bidder. Hanifin it would depend on what he wants and what the offers were. He's young enough to see the other side of the rebuild.

I'd be looking for 2025 draft picks in return and youth back, willing to take short term bad money.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well, now that I've gotten a job with the Flyers, I'm part of the Old Boys Club, so I'm good for jobs for the rest of my life, but I'd hire myself as AVP of Hockey Ops anyway, just to make sure.

Beyond that, I'm hanging a big ol' For Sale sign in the window on damn near everyone. I'll want to avail myself of the best possible offers on Walker, Ristolainen, and Laughton, will take damn near whatever I can get for Atkinson, Deslauriers, Hathaway, and Staal, and would listen to offers for Seeler (who, of the non-Sanheim vets on the blue line, is the one I'd be most inclined to keep around over the next couple years; if the offer doesn't blow me away, I'm extending him) and Konecny.

I'm equally interested in picks and prospects in return, and will take cap dumps/retain as necessary to improve the value of incoming offers. I have two retention slots available, and would use one on a longer term contract at maximum; the other is only available for retention on a pending UFA (Walker, Staal, or Seeler), so I or my successor can have access to it in future years.

And just to make sure the matter is settled, I work on a longer-term extension for Morgan Frost, as he's the one 2025 RFA I'm not sure we're definitely planning on a future deal with. I think we should keep him, so I'll take care of that myself.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Trade Mitts, krebs, VO, EJ, Girgs, Okposo. Trade Rosen and Kulich and our first 2024.

Acquire: top 6 C, top 4 D, top line winger. C is Mitts replacement, two high end prospects and a first to acquire the D and winger. Krebs and picks/B prospects to fill in whatever is needed to make trades work. (acquire all players with RFA/3+ years term).

Not sure I want to put in all the work to make an absolute decision on which players to acquire.

Oh, Hire some pro scouts and pressure Pegula to hire a president.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I feel like stepping into the Flames GM chair for the deadline would be an extremely difficult job.

-Multiple pending UFAs
-Flames with a .500 record and a bleak immediate future
-the whole Dillon Dube situation

I don't envy Craig Conroy's position here

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad