Post-Game Talk: This Team Needs John Scott

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I really thought this offense would takeoff when Pavel returned but he's showing his age. Probably thinks the game well but just doesn't have the jump. Hank has looked slower for a few years and he never was a speed merchant.

Larkin will help this offense over the long haul but there's not a lot of other guys that can skate with him. Would it be wrong to suggest giving Mantha a shot?

The defense just doesn't create a lot of offense. I expected a bit more out of Mike Green. It's so painfully obvious that this team would be in trouble if not for Mrazek's play this year.

For as bad as the offense has been...I think they're still a playoff team. Less sold on some of the other fringe teams right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rearranging the deck chairs is not going to fix the leak. Honestly, I didn't think we played that bad last night, at least from an effort perspective.

I think it could do this team a world of good. Need to try to establish some chemistry, our 2nd and 3rd line has been trash for some time.

Basically we have been Larkin's line... and then 3 other lines.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Rearranging the deck chairs is not going to fix the leak. Honestly, I didn't think we played that bad last night, at least from an effort perspective.

I'd agree that the team didn't play bad from an effort standpoint, but I just think there's no chemistry with the lines and that the way the lines are set up are hindering this team.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't believe the problem is the players but I just can't stand the line combinations we have. I know the team has went through many different combos but honestly I think we need to get snipers (pulk, Tatar, Nyquist ) with our best dishers. We are scoring 1-2, and at the very most 3 goals a game we need to get playing some offense because you can't consistently score so little and expect to be a top team. So here's what me as a fan who watches this team closely would do as far as lines....

Zetterberg- datsyuk- pulky.... Obviously pulky isn't Brett hull but they play similar styles, the kid has a bomb and has the ability to score so I think that line can work.

Larkin-Richards-Nyquist..... A tun of speed on the wings and Richards is a good distributer, Larkin drives offense hopefully he can get these two going.

Tatar-sheahan-jurco.... Lines proven to be dominate and have tremendous chemistry, so it very could well again

Abby- Glenny- helm.... Could be the best 4th line in the game, lots of speed, grit, can play against top lines, plus chip in offensively.

Kronwall- green.... Have spent a little bit of time together and I think they Drive offense and have been good when paired. Great against 2nd lines.

Dekeyser- Quincey.... Not much to be said, great shutdown pairing.

Smith- marchenko..... Have also spent a lot of time together I think they were very good as a 3rd pairing.

PP1:

Abby- Zetterberg- Nyquist

Pulkinen(where OV sets up)- kronwall

Sheahan- datsyuk- Tatar

Green- Richards

Both units need to be in the 1-3-1 formation that was used last year, in reality it should be so much better as we've added green and pulkinen both right handed shooters. Need to create 2 on 1 situations and feed into the middle slot man then quickly back out. Quick puck movement to get PK's who are aggressive running around.

That's just my 2 cents what do you guys think?
As much as I like these lines, it would never happen. They didn't pay Abby his big extension to be a 4th liner.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think it could do this team a world of good. Need to try to establish some chemistry, our 2nd and 3rd line has been trash for some time.

Basically we have been Larkin's line... and then 3 other lines.

Why doesn't this board ever hold players accountable? When **** goes wrong all we hear about is line combinations, line combinations, line combinations. Good hockey players always find a way to produce. It doesn't matter who they play with or how they are used, they find a way to produce. A lack of talent should not be confused for a lack of chemistry.

I also think people need to seriously, and I mean seriously, readjust their expectations of Pav and Z. Both are very much in decline and show very little speed these days. Both were eaten alive yesterday by back pressure. We are at a point where they cannot be counted on to skate the puck through the neutral zone. It doesn't surprise me one bit that Blash insists on playing Pav with Helm and Z with Larkin. Both really need to be carried by faster forwards. At this point we need to be more worried about getting Pav and Z the puck and less worried about them getting the puck to their line mates. At one point in time we could take the first part of that equation for granted. Those days are behind us.

We lost that game last night because a more talented team matched our intensity. It is as simple as that.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
If you want a better team, the lines need to look something like this (meaning it ain't gonna happen).

Larkin - Zetterberg - legit power forward
Tatar - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Nyquist- Sheahan - grinder who can score
Helm - Glendenning - Brock Lesnar

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I hate to say it, but I really dislike having Abby on the team. It sucks because I like they way he plays and he brings a lot to the table but the fact that coaching and management want him in the top 6 really limits our options. If he werent on the team, I would have liked to see something like this...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mantha
Larkin-Richards-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-AA
Helm-Glendening-Jurco/Pulks

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
As much as I like these lines, it would never happen. They didn't pay Abby his big extension to be a 4th liner.

That shouldn't matter. Tatar is going to get paid next offseason, and they never have any problem moving him down the lineup. Nyquist already makes more and they play him on the 3rd line on a consistent basis.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Zetterberg-datsyuk-Aby
Nyquist-Richards-Larkin
Tatar-Helm-jurco
AA-Glen-nosek
I know it's not going to happened , but

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Z and D with Pulkkinen is a horrible idea. He can't hit the frame to save his life and when he misses, the puck goes out of the zone. We have an odd man rush against, and neither Twin is fast enough anymore to backcheck.

Jurco is a pylon.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why doesn't this board ever hold players accountable? When **** goes wrong all we hear about is line combinations, line combinations, line combinations. Good hockey players always find a way to produce. It doesn't matter who they play with or how they are used, they find a way to produce. A lack of talent should not be confused for a lack of chemistry.

I also think people need to seriously, and I mean seriously, readjust their expectations of Pav and Z. Both are very much in decline and show very little speed these days. Both were eaten alive yesterday by back pressure. We are at a point where they cannot be counted on to skate the puck through the neutral zone. It doesn't surprise me one bit that Blash insists on playing Pav with Helm and Z with Larkin. Both really need to be carried by faster forwards. At this point we need to be more worried about getting Pav and Z the puck and less worried about them getting the puck to their line mates. At one point in time we could take the first part of that equation for granted. Those days are behind us.

We lost that game last night because a more talented team matched our intensity. It is as simple as that.

I think we should hold the players accountable more, as a whole.

That said, the idea that "players should produce with anyone" is a little bit overly idealistic, IMO. Very good players have shown an inability to produce with certain players, or certain types of players. You have to put your guys in a position to succeed, while also looking at the balance across the lines.

I think we can play better despite the lines. First goal was a direct result of a bad turnover, for example.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I have come to realize the only reason I watch games anymore is to see Larkin and Mrazek perform well.

I don't care about line combinations. The talent on the team isnt that great, line combinations don't matter as the result will be mediocre no matter what we do.

I just like seeing Larkin do well, and then hope and dream to myself that Holland gets his head out of his ass and starts trying to acquire actual top tier talent to help Larkin before he's 30 and it's too late and all we are left with him surrounded by a bunch of nobodies and a irrelevant playoff streak that ended 1 year before the record set by the bruins.

We have a young potential franchise 1C. The organization should be hell bent on building around him and we are not. Instead we tread down a leafy path that will lead to zero more cups and missed opportunity.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I hate to say it, but I really dislike having Abby on the team. It sucks because I like they way he plays and he brings a lot to the table but the fact that coaching and management want him in the top 6 really limits our options. If he werent on the team, I would have liked to see something like this...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mantha
Larkin-Richards-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-AA
Helm-Glendening-Jurco/Pulks

Let me spare you some disappointment. The brass does not think that Richards is good enough to play center in today's NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let me spare you some disappointment. The brass does not think that Richards is good enough to play center in today's NHL.

Better question is - what the hell makes them think he is a top 6 winger?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
That said, the idea that "players should produce with anyone" is a little bit overly idealistic, IMO. Very good players have shown an inability to produce with certain players, or certain types of players. You have to put your guys in a position to succeed, while also looking at the balance across the lines.

This. No need to read too much into lines. But fully disregarding the effect that "good" lines can have on a player's performance isn't right either. A great striker is most likely not scoring as much when being dumped on a shut-down line? Mark me down as effing surprised.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I agree with the idea of moving Datsyuk and Zetterberg far down the depth chart. Give some of the younger guys top 6 minutes. Seriously.. what's it going to hurt at this point. This team is abysmal offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad