This team is going to be scary good offensively

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Det scored 222 GF, and the Isles scored 225. http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm

and yes our defence is crap. you just validated my point. THAT is where we need to focus. our offense is not worrisome, even without Vanek. Vanek is gifted offensively, but his defensive struggles take from his overall effectiveness. some may think that i'm wrong, but i think that because of Nelson's overall ability, he is just as valuable as Vanek.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAAAll&sort=avgGoalsPerGame&viewName=summary

Detroit 2.65 G/G

Isles 2.63 G/G

edit: And I clearly stated that defense was our priority in this thread. But that doesn't mean that we should be content with an average offense. And if you think that Nelson is Vanek's equal offensively, I don't think we watched the same games last season.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAAAll&sort=avgGoalsPerGame&viewName=summary

Detroit 2.65 G/G

Isles 2.63 G/G

edit: And I clearly stated that defense was our priority in this thread. But that doesn't mean that we should be content with an average offense. And if you think that Nelson is Vanek's equal offensively, I don't think we watched the same games last season.

we are splitting hairs with the GF of Detroit and the Isles. the intent was to illustrate that our GF should not be our priority. it's always of concern, but on our prioirty list, i think it falls below GA.

my point from the start, was that we should focus on improving our D more than our offense. you kept insisting that our offense was going to be a problem, because we lost Vanek.

never said that Nelson was Vanek's equal offensively. i was talking about overall effectiveness. essentially, +/- .

Vanek is better offensively. Nelson is better defensively. it is very subjective, when trying to define each players effectiveness in both zones, but i will take Nelson as a viable option, without worry. especially for about 1/7th the price...

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
My question is how are the Islanders going to prevent goals. I have zero worries about offense.

Strategically, I think back to Colorado's cup win in '96 against Florida. The Panthers got swept because Colorado basically said, "if they don't hold the puck, they can't score." There was a combination of hockey-legal keep-away and smart transitions. Having Sakic and Forsberg helps, or course. Since there isn't reason to bet chips on the Isles becoming a defensive juggernaut any time soon, the offense is the greatest strength. I just hope their puck management improves, as that level of control along with goaltending could make a gigantic difference.

Maybe not in the standings, with the gridlock expected, but with making a 7th seed team as dangerous as a 4th seed, when the match-ups are done......(should they get that far.)

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
My question is how are the Islanders going to prevent goals. I have zero worries about offense.

Strategically, I think back to Colorado's cup win in '96 against Florida. The Panthers got swept because Colorado basically said, "if they don't hold the puck, they can't score." There was a combination of hockey-legal keep-away and smart transitions. Having Sakic and Forsberg helps, or course. Since there isn't reason to bet chips on the Isles becoming a defensive juggernaut any time soon, the offense is the greatest strength. I just hope their puck management improves, as that level of control along with goaltending could make a gigantic difference.

Maybe not in the standings, with the gridlock expected, but with making a 7th seed team as dangerous as a 4th seed, when the match-ups are done......(should they get that far.)

This team is not capable of contending because of the GA. It's as basic as that.

But there are slight improvements to GA with I would say a slightly better defensive unit and a better tandem behind them. Enough improvement to make them compete for a playoff spot.

Small steps in the right direction. If a top-4 dman fell in our lap, I'd love it, and I would wake up because that never happens. Our team is prime in a couple years. I'm ok taking this year to shake the tree and see what leaves fall where.

The time will come to make that trade that big move/signing. The Bruins have like 8 to 9 NHL-ready defensemen. Trading with them is possible, but would cost us the potential of someone we have to guess at now. We literally could BE them soon, and get to trade from that advantage.

Patience, as long as we are moving in the right direction.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
So is the top line LW role Nelson's to lose? Every time I see Isles fans post depth charts, Nelson sits in that spot. What are the chances he starts there, and what are the chances he stays there?
Cheers

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So is the top line LW role Nelson's to lose? Every time I see Isles fans post depth charts, Nelson sits in that spot. What are the chances he starts there, and what are the chances he stays there?
Cheers

I'm assuming you are asking for fantasy hockey reasons?

I think there is going to be a lot of guys tried out on the top line in camp and in the preaseason (Nelson, Lee, Grabovski, Bailey, Kulemin, and Strome), but many of us are expecting Nelson to start the season out on the top line. Arthur Staple, our beat writer has hinted at Nelson being the guy the Isles envision on the top line for this upcoming season and Tavares has also commented on playing with Nelson as well.

I think is also comes down other factors as well.

-The Isles don't want their young guys (Strome & Nelson) taking on the responsibilities of being a center when they are looking to compete for a playoff spot. Expect Tavares-Grabovski-Nielsen-Cizikas to be the four centers.

-Grabovski & Kulemin match. While both will probably be tried elsewhere at some point in camp and in the preseason, I have to think they will start out on the same line to start the season to see if they can reform their chemistry from Toronto.

-Bailey & Grabner. These two guys have shown time and time again that they can't be relied on to provide top six production. While it's possible they could be given shots in the top six, I don't think they will stick.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm assuming you are asking for fantasy hockey reasons?

I think there is going to be a lot of guys tried out on the top line in camp and in the preaseason (Nelson, Lee, Grabovski, Bailey, Kulemin, and Strome), but many of us are expecting Nelson to start the season out on the top line. Arthur Staple, our beat writer has hinted at Nelson being the guy the Isles envision on the top line for this upcoming season and Tavares has also commented on playing with Nelson as well.

I think is also comes down other factors as well.

-The Isles don't want their young guys (Strome & Nelson) taking on the responsibilities of being a center when they are looking to compete for a playoff spot. Expect Tavares-Grabovski-Nielsen-Cizikas to be the four centers.

-Grabovski & Kulemin match. While both will probably be tried elsewhere at some point in camp and in the preseason, I have to think they will start out on the same line to start the season to see if they can reform their chemistry from Toronto.

-Bailey & Grabner. These two guys have shown time and time again that they can't be relied on to provide top six production. While it's possible they could be given shots in the top six, I don't think they will stick.

Thanks for that in-depth answer, much appreciated.
You're correct about asking for fantasy purposes. I have a deal on the table where I can trade Lars Eller for Nelson. As good as Eller has been in the playoffs, he's probably a 40-50 point player at best for the next few years, and if Nelson can atleast match that, I'd be able to save $$ on my salary cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad