This team is going to be scary good offensively

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Would you happen to have those numbers for Nielsen and everybody? I'd be interested to see who ISN'T better with Nielsen than without him. He is the easiest player to play with and it's part of what makes him so valuable.

i was going to say the same. i have not focused on Nielsen that much, but it seems that whomever he plays with, meets or exceeds expectations. could he be that good? i always liked him, and knew he was good, but is he THAT good?

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
i was going to say the same. i have not focused on Nielsen that much, but it seems that whomever he plays with, meets or exceeds expectations. could he be that good? i always liked him, and knew he was good, but is he THAT good?

Here are the forwards' Corsi numbers when they don't play with Nielsen:
Teammate, TOI, Teammate apart, Diff.
Bailey 366.46 55.8% 3.3%
Grabner 179.49 52.2% 3.2%
Lee 103.15 62.7% 6.4%
Clutterbuck 70.3 48.9% 1.0%
Bouchard 83.1 47.4% -4.0%
Okposo 71.55 48.7% 1.5%
Regin 44.25 49.0% -10.5%
Nelson 33.52 52.1% -8.8%
McDonald 25.43 52.1% 5.1%
Martin 16.13 44.7% 14.3%

Lee is 62.7% with Nielsen, but you can't say Nielsen drags him down because they were 56.3% in a fairly large sample (Nielsen is the teammate Lee played the most with).

If you want to see a player improve his teammates, look at Nelson. Nelson is the ONLY player who was able to help Martin surpass the 50% mark.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
I'm at work now, but I'll try to upload the spreadsheet on Google Docs later tonight. Stats.hockeyanalysis.com has all this stuff, but it's annoying have to jump from player to player.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I dont see why they would be giving up more goals that last year. If anything I see more one goal games that blow-outs

Bailey has a better shot at the opening day roster than Lee and most likely Grabner.

I'm actually thinking that Grabner is in the package with Bailey for a D-man, leaving Lee a roster spot!! :handclap:

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Thanks! :)

Here are the posts. They're from twitter. This first one is a goalie usage chart:
https://twitter.com/robvollmannhl/status/496699285396660224

The bigger the circle, the better and the darker the grey, the better.

This second one is the save percentage by location and has save percentage from bad angles as well.
https://twitter.com/robvollmanNHL/status/497891484125777920

I know a common concern is "shot quality" (and I've been reading and seeing that for the most part, this doesn't seem to be a real thing) and how one of the knocks on our defense is they may not allow many shots but the shots are higher scoring chances, and this graph shows Halak is the 6th best goaltender from the home-plate/front of the net!

Thanks for the links. Those graphs are interesting. I think location-based stats are going to be the next big thing.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I don't think our defense is awful after the subtractions of AMac and (hopefully) Strait. I'm just getting into advanced stats myself and it looks like our defensemen really aren't that bad. For example Hamonic, who had a "down" year wasn't amazing possession wise but without AMac, his numbers were good and with de Haan they were a strong pairing. Visnovsky, as long as he is healthy, is a very good defenseman and when paired with Hickey that is a great pairing. Donovan showed a lot of potential particularly in his second stint with the team, and while he did get more O-Zone starts then D-Zone starts, he put up magnificent possession numbers.
I agree with everything you said except maybe Donovan. That doesn't matter though because IMO if he doesn't undergo big improvements he will be gone in a year. But I do love the rest. Hamonic's biggest problem? That would be the crappy piano who insists on trying to use him as a rushing D. I do not worry about Travis though. He is a great up and coming shut down defenseman.

Halak, and Johnson, will also help our defense a ton!
I am very positive on the goaltending this year, but we haven't seen those two in front of our defense yet. I am trying not to get too crazy abou
Thanks! :)

Here are the posts. They're from twitter. This first one is a goalie usage chart:
https://twitter.com/robvollmannhl/status/496699285396660224

The bigger the circle, the better and the darker the grey, the better.

This second one is the save percentage by location and has save percentage from bad angles as well.
https://twitter.com/robvollmanNHL/status/497891484125777920

I know a common concern is "shot quality" (and I've been reading and seeing that for the most part, this doesn't seem to be a real thing) and how one of the knocks on our defense is they may not allow many shots but the shots are higher scoring chances, and this graph shows Halak is the 6th best goaltender from the home-plate/front of the net!

Now THIS lights my fire. Location charts, location stats, this tells a story in 3d surround sound technicolor. Give me a high percentage of shots from long range and a grandmother can post a shutout. Halak performing better from the sweet spots, and he has to be better with all those give-me goals Nabby screwed up on...

I just want to see some proof in the first few games to know it is real, and not yet another Islander mirage.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Quotes from JT and KO's trainer. This guy has me pretty excited..

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 4m
Belfry "I think this is the best John Tavares I've ever seen. I've been working with him for quite awhile"

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 3m
Belfry "Tavares is in incredible physical condition."

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 11m
Belfry "I wouldn't be surprised if you see Tavares among the worlds best on top of the scoring charts this year."

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 10m
Belfry "on top of that, I think this is the best I've seen Okposo"

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 9m
Belfry "times that I thought the Tavares-Okposo combo was the best in the league last season & I see them taking another big step forward"

https://twitter.com/Hope_Smoke

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Any reasoning? They were 16th last year and have added talent, and are young (so one could argue they are improving).

They were 8th the year before that.

In general I think the more you win the more "meaningless" goals a team scores(ie empty net goals, goals near the end of the game when you up by 2-3 goals and the other team is pinching and makes a mistake). If the Islanders can improve their amount of wins chances are they will get those late game goals to move them up from 16th.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Yes but we also lost Vanek--who's better offensively than any player on our team (except JT).

we had him for what, 40 games? we scored ample goals when he was in the lineup, and when he wasn't. it's our GA that needs to be addressed. scoring is not an issue, IMO.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Adding Grabo and Kulemin hopefully changes the dynamics of the forwards and puts the third and fourth line grinders into their correct roles, especially defensively. Always have a hope for Bailey that he becomes a great vet forward like Franz. If he could play with the zeal of a Ray Ferraro or the penalty skill of a great skater, he could be a clutch player. Colin McDonald may be finis and hopefully we don't have to wait around half a season for some of these guys to score. If they spent the spring watching the playoffs, they see what it takes to be a committed player like the top teams.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Vanek is a big loss but when given the chance Strome, Nelson, and Lee were very good offensively. I think it comes down to this IMO:

Vanek/Moulson
Regin
PMB
Or
Strome
Nelson
Grabovski
Kulemin

He offense IMO will improve this year.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
we had him for what, 40 games? we scored ample goals when he was in the lineup, and when he wasn't. it's our GA that needs to be addressed. scoring is not an issue, IMO.

We were an average team scoring wise. That's not going to cut it if we want to seriously compete. I do agree that there are still other priorities.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Defense wins. Cut down the GA and it doesn't matter who scored less....we need to score more THAN THE OPPONENT.

I'll take 55 2-1 wins.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
On paper we have one of the best center depths in the entire NHL dare I say it. They gotta make that on ice transition though, but this is one of the most balanced Islander lineups I have seen in a long time.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Rangers scored less than us last year...

and so did MTL, and Det, and LA, and Minnesota...

Detroit scored more than us, not sure where you're getting that from?

On defense:

LA: 1st
NYR: 4th
MIN: 7th
MTL: 8th
NYI: 28th

When you have the 28th worst defense, being average on offense is NOT going to cut it.

What about Okposo? 69 pts in 71 GP

What about him?

Okposo outscored Vanek by ONE point this season. And other than that has NEVER outscored Vanek.

DieSuperFly

Nov 23, 2011
Penguins can crack 180-200 between their top 2 centers. Between top 3 youre looking at 250 at least.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Our centers aren't as good as Pittsburgh's.

Crosby/Malkin > Tavares
Crosby/Malkin > Grabovski

Nielsen's nowhere near good enough to close that gap.

tumblr_nal262MXI61qzyucvo1_500.gif

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Detroit scored more than us, not sure where you're getting that from?

On defense:

LA: 1st
NYR: 4th
MIN: 7th
MTL: 8th
NYI: 28th

When you have the 28th worst defense, being average on offense is NOT going to cut it.

What about him?

Okposo outscored Vanek by ONE point this season. And other than that has NEVER outscored Vanek.

Det scored 222 GF, and the Isles scored 225. http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm

and yes our defence is crap. you just validated my point. THAT is where we need to focus. our offense is not worrisome, even without Vanek. Vanek is gifted offensively, but his defensive struggles take from his overall effectiveness. some may think that i'm wrong, but i think that because of Nelson's overall ability, he is just as valuable as Vanek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad