Post-Game Talk: This team cannot be stopped

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Did anyone else notice how the NBC crew was singing the praise of Smith, Vanek, and Ott a little too loud? Vanek shows up most nights so it's deserved, but both Smith and Ott have been dregs. Public relations spin runs deep in the league, so it wouldn't shock me if Holland was the instigating factor of their tone.

Assuming that you are trying to entice buyers, rock on Kenny! If you're going with the national TV con to lock these guys up in Dekeyser or Abdelkader fashion, I might have to ignore the Wings for the next decade.

I err with Kenny selling because neither has a Michigan birth cert, but my optimism is only a Helm away from being crushed.

Solid win. Pete, glad to see you back bud.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Most of us have been hard on Kronwall, but that dude was clearing the crease like a prime Chelios tonight. Might move like a three toed sloth, but dude has heart.

Yeah, the man is a proud warrior. It must pain him to be unable to play like he could

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Did anyone else notice how the NBC crew was singing the praise of Smith, Vanek, and Ott a little too loud? Vanek shows up most nights so it's deserved, but both Smith and Ott have been dregs. Public relations spin runs deep in the league, so it wouldn't shock me if Holland was the instigating factor of their tone.

Assuming that you are trying to entice buyers, rock on Kenny! If you're going with the national TV con to lock these guys up in Dekeyser or Abdelkader fashion, I might have to ignore the Wings for the next decade.

I err with Kenny selling because neither has a Michigan birth cert, but my optimism is only a Helm away from being crushed.

Solid win. Pete, glad to see you back bud.

Now that you say it yes they were rallying pretty hard for those 3. I'd also say they had several standout moments, truly deserving of comment- may be some of both as explanations. Smith and Ott especially I thought played well. Otter has been effective this season and noticeable the last two- he crashes and bangs as hard as any player in the league and it works (to a degree).

It's something to watch Mantha and AA gaining confidence literally every single game. Gotta stay positive that in the future they can help carry this team in a big way.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Now that you say it yes they were rallying pretty hard for those 3. I'd also say they had several standout moments, truly deserving of comment- may be some of both as explanations. Smith and Ott especially I thought played well. Otter has been effective this season and noticeable the last two- he crashes and bangs as hard as any player in the league and it works (to a degree).

It's something to watch Mantha and AA gaining confidence literally every single game. Gotta stay positive that in the future they can help carry this team in a big way.

I'll take Ott over Miller and Teletubby everyday, but his impact has been less than I'd hoped for. Guy has heart, but he's just a warm body out there at this point. If a team looking for 4th line depth offers a 7th, I'd jump on it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Both Washington and Pittsburgh didn't give a F about the games against Detroit.

They still somewhat try. So scoring 4-5 and having mrazek play like a vezina goalie is still good if we won like 2-1 and penguins only shot like 17 shots then it's bad

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Letang sucks against Detroit or is injured. It's weird. Love Letang though.

Larkin deserved the benching. No idea about that third line of Helm, Abby and Larkin. It's just a cluster.

Yeah...its a tricky one because our 1st two lines are rolling pretty well in terms of creating things and chemistry, so I can understand the reluctance to break them up, but Abby, Larkin & Helm is a line that even on paper looks like one that just wont work as there is no glue whatsover. Great speed, some grit, half decent shooting but not great hands....not a lot else. All three would be better with almost anyone else, but the other lines are going ok right now.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I'm curious if he re-signs Vanek. I'd be okay with that. If not, you HAVE to move him. We can't just let him walk in the summer.

This. He's playing well enough to bring in something for our future. IF Vanek likes it that much here just let him know we can give him another contract in the offseason, hoping that he takes 1 year deals here though...some of our young guys need some raises over the next few years.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Yeah...its a tricky one because our 1st two lines are rolling pretty well in terms of creating things and chemistry, so I can understand the reluctance to break them up, but Abby, Larkin & Helm is a line that even on paper looks like one that just wont work as there is no glue whatsover. Great speed, some grit, half decent shooting but not great hands....not a lot else. All three would be better with almost anyone else, but the other lines are going ok right now.

That line just reeks of dump and chase. Not sure they can click really doing anything else lol

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This. He's playing well enough to bring in something for our future. IF Vanek likes it that much here just let him know we can give him another contract in the offseason, hoping that he takes 1 year deals here though...some of our young guys need some raises over the next few years.

Vanek and his agent would be complete idiots if he took another one year deal.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
The streak is alive. We are buyers at deadline. 1st for Patrick Eaves and Svechnikov for Hudler!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Good call on the Yandle/Goligoski trade and sign. I have to disagree with teams getting real aggressive on trading for the rights of UFA though, I just don't see it.

Every GM can have an honest conversation with free agents before the circus opens. If an UFA wants to test the market than you can make your pitch regardless of rights, so what's the point?

I thought free agency would grow a bit with the lowering of the UFA age awhile back for similar reasons, but it didn't happen. It's something that just seems genuinely different about hockey players versus their MLB/NFL/NBA counterparts. I haven't looked into it with any fervor, but it seems NHLers are more likely to lock themselves into contracts they feel are fair than to hit the market and play for the highest bidder.

Then with fewer big name guys hitting free agency I thought guys like Yandle and Goligoski would hit the market just to try to make a killing. And it didn't happen. It didn't even happen with Stamkos who I think could have legitimately blown up his salary and gotten something at least $1.5m more per year than what he got from Tampa.

Long way of saying that I think NHLers are just more signable before hitting free agency, for whatever reasons that I don't know.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I thought free agency would grow a bit with the lowering of the UFA age awhile back for similar reasons, but it didn't happen. It's something that just seems genuinely different about hockey players versus their MLB/NFL/NBA counterparts. I haven't looked into it with any fervor, but it seems NHLers are more likely to lock themselves into contracts they feel are fair than to hit the market and play for the highest bidder.

Then with fewer big name guys hitting free agency I thought guys like Yandle and Goligoski would hit the market just to try to make a killing. And it didn't happen. It didn't even happen with Stamkos who I think could have legitimately blown up his salary and gotten something at least $1.5m more per year than what he got from Tampa.

Long way of saying that I think NHLers are just more signable before hitting free agency, for whatever reasons that I don't know.

can't speak for MLB (don't follow it) but in NFL, the careers are much shorter and the injury risk is higher, so it makes more sense to cash in while you can.

not sure it happens to the same extent in NBA or what the reasons are there.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
can't speak for MLB (don't follow it) but in NFL, the careers are much shorter and the injury risk is higher, so it makes more sense to cash in while you can.

not sure it happens to the same extent in NBA or what the reasons are there.

contracts are also not guaranteed. The MLB seems to have a big free agent feeding frenzy every year and my impression has been that it's largely fueled by the union to help drive up average salary numbers to get them higher comps to bargain with.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It doesn't matter how many regular season wins they get or who they beat. They can not beat a team in a 7 game series. But bring on the rentals because Holland gonna Holland

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
23 games left and we will realistically need 33 points at least to make the playoffs.

15-5-3. No way I see us doing that record. Sell sell sell!!!!!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
There is no playmaker on that line. Maybe Larkin will eventually become one, but as of now none.
The streak is alive. We are buyers at deadline. 1st for Patrick Eaves and Svechnikov for Hudler!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Very good point.
What happened really is that the GMs sign young players too early and lock them up. We do not remember those lengthy deals in the precap era.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Very good point.
What happened really is that the GMs sign young players too early and lock them up. We do not remember those lengthy deals in the precap era.

On the flip side, GMs like Stan Bowman who overpay Toews and Kane lose good up-and-coming kids like Saad.

I would think as more teams sign their stars to overpaid contracts, they'll lose some good young players they can't afford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad