GDT: This one might have more flair ;) Hurricanes vs Avalanche 11AM MST

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
On the MacKinnon goal, Rantanen back-heels it to him (not sure if it's intentional or not), but shouldn't he get an assist?

Edit Link:

I know MacK finished there but I don't know how there was no penalty going to be called on Rants being dragged down there.

Reactions: Pokecheque

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Didnt even realize there was a matinee game. Maybe we wont be so bad on the road this year. But yeah, I agree with scrambling the bottom 9, it's just not working.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Oh, & I guess we beat Carolina, so

giphy.gif

Reactions: Pokecheque

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If it gives you 5 or 6 on 4 perhaps. But 6 on 5 is just not a big enough advantage to risk a game for most coaches. Quick way to find themselves outta the league.

Just my opinion.

Usually, but if you've got a strong set of blueliners and a magician like Aho, that let you dominate possession as much as they often do; while struggling to score as much as they do...it just feels like something worth trying when they can get a line mismatch. :dunno:

It could turn out to be a disaster even if you had Roy drilling the 6-on-5 unit, but I think it could be something interesting for a team like the canes...and I can envision it working so well for some teams that soon we see them pulling their goalie every time they get a line mismatch & pin that overwhelmed line in its own zone.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We didn't play great at all, but Carolina played worse, and we had the better goalie. The best teams in the league pull off wins even when they aren't playing their best. I'm happy to get the 2 points and have the top line pad their stats.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What a deceiving game. The Hurricanes are a hard working but very limited team outside of Aho, Terevainen, and Svechnikov. So many north-south players with little skill and everyone just shoots from everywhere. Never once did I feel like we were going to lose this game or even allow the Hurricanes to tie it.

Good game from Grubauer. Showed Bednar he can have confidence in going back to him.

5-1-2 to start the season. Excellent.

Reactions: cgf

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Game definitely had a 2013-14 vibe to it. Especially the Mack goal after getting thoroughly dominated for like 5 min straight.
The Canes dominated nothing today. They did what the Avs allowed them to do. I'm serious when I say I still feel more adrenaline from the SCVI session I had before the game than I felt during the hottest phase the Canes had in this game. They were not good enough to compete today.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
5-1-2 on the backs of our 1st line continuing to torch the league. Just wait until the secondary scoring starts to come in. We still a lot of areas to improve on but this is a heck of a start.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Bednar with the laugh in the PG Interview when asked about Landy having the hot stick. He's losing his touch.

Reactions: cgf

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Sakic and Bednar need to have a talk about Barrie imo. I prefer Barberio over him right now.
Barrie and Jost. Was also MacKinnons worst game I've seen him play since last season. It was bad by MacKinnon standards. He killed the play on 3 power plays with stupid board moves.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
How long do we have to wait doe?

It's something that Sakic should be more aggressively addressing. If he wants to wait until the off-season, see where the pick(s) end up, and bring Makar into the lineup - fine. Not the biggest fan of standing pat this past offseason, but I get the logic. But our top line is a top three group in the league IMO if they keep this up. And MacKinnon is on the best non-ELC contract in the league for this season + 4 seasons after it. They need to start going for it each and every single year - and by 'going for it' I don't mean just making the playoffs and being satisfied with that. MacKinnon's emergence, and that of Rantanen incidentally, should be moving up the timeline on everything. You don't get star players hitting / just entering their primes - especially on a contract like MacK's - very often. Every year not in the playoffs pushing for a cup should be regarded as a waste. And no, I'm not advocating doing something completely stupid and trading away all of the teams youth this season. Just that there should be limited patience with our bottom nine group not up to snuff.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad