GDT: This one might have more flair ;) Hurricanes vs Avalanche 11AM MST

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hopefully Bednar does something to get Jost going. Right now he just looks ineffective

I think Jost needs to work on manufacturing his own scoring chances, and needs to continue to work on his skating. He seems to have lost the jump he had in pre-season, and the first couple regular season games. Not sure if the wince he had earlier in the season when a guy fell on his leg has anything to do with that or not.

Either way, I've never thought he moves his feet enough. He needs to keep them going all the time. Tanguay had a similar problem, and had a similar average skating ability if he didn't keep the legs pumping.

All of that said, they just need to find a way to get Jost line mates that suit him. Unfortunately that might not come until next summer though. As it is, Kerfoot seems pretty useless playing wing, and Wilson just sucks the creativity and skill out of that line. I'm sure he's a great guy, but he can't play with top 6 talent. He just doesn't read the game well enough, or have the skill to make plays.

This means that the only time Jost can utilize his skill and smarts effectively is if he does it all himself, and he just doesn't have the separation speed to pull that off most of the time. He needs to make quick give and go plays, so he doesn't hold onto the puck too long, but that requires someone with skill and smarts to work with.

This is a perfect example of Wilson sucking the skill out of a potential great scoring chance. He sees Jost wide open in the slot, and either doesn't have the confidence that he can make the pass, or just makes a bad decision, and passes up the high quality scoring chance for the low percentage chance of just putting the puck on net. This is fine in a bottom six role, but not when playing with guys like Jost. You need to make plays.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dont think wilson saw jost at all. Not on the same page

On the close up replay you can see him get his head up towards the slot as he's coming out from behind the net, before he turns and fires the puck. If he didn't see him he's blind as a bat. Jost is the only guy there.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
On the close up replay you can see him get his head up towards the slot as he's coming out from behind the net, before he turns and fires the puck. If he didn't see him he's blind as a bat. Jost is the only guy there.

Its called playing for a contract lol. (Probably has nothing to do with it) Wilson seems like hes all shoot first mentality right now though.

I think in order for Bednar to take the blender to the bottom six we'll have to see the team lose due to a lack of secondary scoring. The top line has given him enough of an excuse lately, even on the road. Which is something they didn't do last year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Its called playing for a contract lol. (Probably has nothing to do with it) Wilson seems like hes all shoot first mentality right now though.

I think in order for Bednar to take the blender to the bottom six we'll have to see the team lose due to a lack of secondary scoring. The top line has given him enough of an excuse lately, even on the road. Which is something they didn't do last year.

I'd still like to see him blend up the bottom nine though. None of those lines are really working well together.

Kamenev should be given a look with Jost IMO. He's had a couple hiccups, but he's looked good enough to earn a bump up in the lineup. His skating and skill could help that line a lot more than Wilson. He might look good on his off wing too on the right side. He's got that kind of game.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd still like to see him blend up the bottom nine though. None of those lines are really working well together.

Yeah I agree of course. I just doubt he does it until hes forced though. I'm not a fan of no changes after a win, especially with all this talk about not being satisfied with their performances despite wins. Yet he still hasn't done much beyond compensating for injuries.

For f*** sake Bednar needs to give Soda the best of the rest and create something resembling a 2nd line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A Kamenev-Kerfoot-Jost line lacks any physicality whatsoever.

I wouldn't worry as much about physicality, but as long as they can fight through checks and still play their game they'd be fine. With that said I don't think Kam is going to succeed as a winger right now either.

Oh look, we have two skilled players where one is better at center and the other at wing. Hmmmmm

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A Kamenev-Kerfoot-Jost line lacks any physicality whatsoever.

Jost and Kamenev are strong enough on their skates (as long as Kam keeps his head up) for it not to be a problem I think. Kam's actually been leaning into guys along the boards too. He's not totally devoid of physicality. Same with Jost.

I wouldn't worry as much about physicality, but as long as they can fight through checks and still play their game they'd be fine. With that said I don't think Kam is going to succeed as a winger right now either.

Oh look, we have two skilled players where one is better at center and the other at wing. Hmmmmm

I don't think Jost has really looked better on wing though. That experiment didn't seem to last too long.

The Avs are in a strange situation with their young centers. Kerfoot looks much worse on wing. Jost looks more or less the same I think, but adds a lot more at center due to his solid two way game. Compher unfortunately I don't think has quite the vision to play center effectively in a meaningful role. Kamenev is still trying to find his legs in the NHL, so they probably want to be a bit patient with him.

I think what's best for the team is probably to keep Jost at center, and try to find him the right line mates to work with. The only wing I think might be good to try him with right now is the Soda line. That might leave the other lines a little thin though, unless Compher comes back and has a strong season with Kerfoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Jost and Kamenev are strong enough on their skates (as long as Kam keeps his head up) for it not to be a problem I think. Kam's actually been leaning into guys along the boards too. He's not totally devoid of physicality. Same with Jost.

I don't think Jost has really looked better on wing though. That experiment didn't seem to last too long.

The Avs are in a strange situation with their young centers. Kerfoot looks much worse on wing. Jost looks more or less the same I think, but adds a lot more at center due to his solid two way game. Compher unfortunately I don't think has quite the vision to play center effectively in a meaningful role. Kamenev is still trying to find his legs in the NHL, so they probably want to be a bit patient with him.

I think what's best for the team is probably to keep Jost at center, and try to find him the right line mates to work with. The only wing I think might be good to try him with right now is the Soda line. That might leave the other lines a little thin though, unless Compher comes back and has a strong season with Kerfoot.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that discussion you had. I'm not really in agreement with you regarding Jost or Kerfoot, but we can leave it there lol.

The only forwards on our team right now that I've liked at center more than one game is MacK, Kam, Compher, and Soda.. Compher did ok on the 4th line at C, but I think he'd be more useful at RW higher in the lineup personally.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oh yeah, I forgot about that discussion you had. I'm not really in agreement with you regarding Jost or Kerfoot, but we can leave it there lol.

The only forwards on our team right now that I've liked at center more than one game is MacK, Kam, Compher, and Soda.. Compher did ok on the 4th line at C, but I think he'd be more useful at RW higher in the lineup personally.

I think 3rd line RW is the perfect spot for Compher. 2nd line in a pinch. To be honest, I'm not sure why they considered anything else, but maybe that's just me.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think 3rd line RW is the perfect spot for Compher. 2nd line in a pinch. To be honest, I'm not sure why they considered anything else, but maybe that's just me.

Oh yeah I agree

I think Compher has more offensive upside at wing too. Especially if he can dial in that shot, which was looking good at the start there.

Reactions: Waingro

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
We might need Landeskog more on the 2nd line..

Breaking up the top line is an absolute no go. Have to work with what's left.

Unfortunately, I just don't see any second line talent. Kerfoot may be the exception there. The depth is great but the talent drops of drastically from the 1st line.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
If you want Kerfoot on the second line he has to play center, and if he's going to play center then you're probably going to want a wing that can play as a center in your own end. Landeskog is that guy for us, but he also eats a ton of defensive responsibilities and heavy lifting on the first line. Moving Soda to wing on the Kerfoot line is a solution I guess if you think that Kam is ready for the #3c, but really it's not ideal. Kerfoot does have a good offensive skillset, but he needs a high end two way wing paired with him for this to work.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Just want to add that Grubauer was insanely good in this game. Didn’t see it mentioned enough in this post. Such a promising performance.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just want to add that Grubauer was insanely good in this game. Didn’t see it mentioned enough in this post. Such a promising performance.

This was a big game for him. He was a little iffy in his performance before this, but he looked comfortable and dialed in for this one. Made a bunch of really good saves. Hopefully it will go a long way for his confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad