This Is Your Tempe Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Depends on how advanced/known plan b is already. If it’s fairly well fleshed out and the league is fully aware, then fine. But if it’s back to the drawing board, we better brush up on our French. I don’t believe the NHL would be allowing the ASU thing if there weren’t

A) Confident Tempe will work out

AND

B) Holding a decent plan B in their back pocket
Only thing I can say is the last time Meruelo was present at a press conference (which was well before the Tempe RFP became known) he said there were two possibilities being worked on and that both were close to reality and he was making a decision on one soon.

YMMV….

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Only thing I can say is the last time Meruelo was present at a press conference (which was well before the Tempe RFP became known) he said there were two possibilities being worked on and that both were close to reality and he was making a decision on one soon.
Could be maybe that Tempe is better then the Tribe for long term upside, but the Tribe is better than Glendale. Could also be maybe the Tribe is easier and faster to get done and are okay with being then back-up plan? Like maybe if Tempe falls through the Tribe can get sewed up very quickly?

I’m literally just making stuff up.

Reactions: Prarievarg

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Could be maybe that Tempe is better then the Tribe for long term upside, but the Tribe is better than Glendale. Could also be maybe the Tribe is easier and faster to get done and are okay with being then back-up plan? Like maybe if Tempe falls through the Tribe can get sewed up very quickly?

I’m literally just making stuff up.

Yeah... that doesn't seem right.

Govt is really slow to work with. Tribe is really slow to work with times 10x. Have a buddy who has a big contract with those guys, the stuff he was describing / way they do business was pure nonsense, almost unbelievable -- as in, I legitimately would not have believed him if we weren't already good friends.

We all have our own opinions on this (rightfully so) but imo the Tribe is not viable, not even close. So for me it is pretty clearly TED or bust (i.e, Houston, KC etc)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The whole point of this anti-Glendale push by the league and the team has been to put the arena somewhere central. If you move from one fringe of the Valley to the other, you're just continuing the same fan disenfranchisement that folks have been howling about for years with regards to Glendale. The only difference is that it's not you being inconvenienced this time.
A. This has NEVER been about attendance. It's about ownership's control of land development around the arena. PERIOD.

B. Farther east is good for the east valley people and they've never given a f*** about us west siders except to take our tax dollars.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^^^^ The key to working with the tribes is you don’t mention a peep of anything until the first shovel is in the ground.

They do not like their business being discussed in the media….. at all.

Anthony LeBlanc learned that the hard way and that’s all I will say about it.

Reactions: mouser

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
A. This has NEVER been about attendance. It's about ownership's control of land development around the arena. PERIOD.

B. Farther east is good for the east valley people and they've never given a f*** about us west siders except to take our tax dollars.
A, I agree with.

B, I don’t.

And I’m not going to entertain another east vs west scrum.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's tax payer money wrapped in a pretty package.

It’s betting tax dollars against a much larger financial return in the long term.

Tempe is supposed to get the main parking garage out of the bonding money. 1100 spaces next to the arena. It’s theirs permanently to use however they want 24/7/365….. forever.

They get a first responders station for free…. Permanently.

Throw in the sales taxes, property taxes, business taxes etc.

The question becomes is that enough?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
It’s betting tax dollars against a much larger financial return in the long term.

Tempe is supposed to get the main parking garage out of the bonding money. 1100 spaces next to the arena. It’s theirs permanently to use however they want 24/7/365….. forever.

I mean... it all depends on what the alternative is.

Compared to keeping it an environmental wasteland, anything is better than that. But, what's their backup plan for the land if they don't approve the TED.

Does anyone actually know what else they might be considering? Are they planning on keeping it a wasteland or might they have something else in the works? I'm honestly curious, have absolutely no idea from out here

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I mean... it all depends on what the alternative is.

Compared to keeping it an environmental wasteland, anything is better than that. But, what's their backup plan for the land if they don't approve the TED.

Does anyone actually know what they are considering? Are they planning on keeping it a wasteland or might they have something else in the works? I'm honestly curious I have absolutely no idea from out here

They can use the land for something else.

More high rise office, residential space, etc. The Coyotes saw the space they had as an opportunity.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

More high rise office, residential space, etc. The Coyotes saw the space they had as an opportunity.

Do they have other legitimate proposals in though? That's my question. IIRC they only allowed proposals from professional sports teams so maybe the answer is no (and if so that would limit their backup options / increase the Coyotes' leverage somewhat imo)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Do they have other legitimate proposals in though? That's my question. IIRC they only allowed proposals from professional sports teams so maybe the answer is no (and if so that would limit their backup options / increase the Coyotes' leverage somewhat imo)
No… they crafted the RFP for a “pro sports team”.

One of the two parcels Meruelo is looking to purchase was originally designated for Carvana who’s been building up a campus in the area. The other one was the compost/maintenance yard.

I’m not sure how that part is going to work out yet.

But if this does not go through it looks as if Tempe won’t have any problem getting something else.

Reactions: PainForShane

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No… they crafted the RFP for a “pro sports team”.

One of the two parcels Meruelo is looking to purchase was originally designated for Carvana who’s been building up a campus in the area. The other one was the compost/maintenance yard.

I’m not sure how that part is going to work out yet.

But if this does not go through it looks as if Tempe won’t have any problem getting something else.
Didn’t Carvana just layoff like 2,000 people?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
A. This has NEVER been about attendance.

If GRA was selling out most games, and I mean legitimately selling out, the team would likely be in the black financially. Sure, AM wants to do land development, but a perpetually money losing franchise isn't sustainable.

What this means is TED or no TED, the team needs to at least break even no matter where they play.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

And who pays for the inevitable cost over runs? Nevermind. That's east valley tax dollars. Just get it done. Still say they need a closer like Colangelo or someone with some juice in the state.

If GRA was selling out most games, and I mean legitimately selling out, the team would likely be in the black financially. Sure, AM wants to do land development, but a perpetually money losing franchise isn't sustainable.

What this means is TED or no TED, the team needs to at least break even no matter where they play.
Sorry but that doesn't matter. Sell outs don't put enough money in his pocket. Only thing that would have worked is if he bought Westgate instead of the GoDaddy guy.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
And who pays for the inevitable cost over runs? Nevermind. That's east valley tax dollars. Just get it done. Still say they need a closer like Colangelo or someone with some juice in the state.

Sorry but that doesn't matter. Sell outs don't put enough money in his pocket. Only thing that would have worked is if he bought Westgate instead of the GoDaddy guy.
The team is an independent entity... It must be able to survive on its own or AM will eventually look to dump it...TED or no TED.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The thing that may work in our favor for Tempe - and Meruelo and the gang know this very well - is our relationship with ASU. Building the TED gives ASU a number of options for national NCAA events and makes their hockey program even more attractive than it already is. Having the University on our side is significant. IMO it's the only reason why Tempe's even listening after the franchise's history in Glendale (notwithstanding that all the worst stuff happened under bankruptcy and the Ice Clowns).

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The team is an independent entity... It must be able to survive on its own or AM will eventually look to dump it...TED or no TED.

Find me a successful major pro sports franchise today that can do that.

The thing that may work in our favor for Tempe - and Meruelo and the gang know this very well - is our relationship with ASU. Building the TED gives ASU a number of options for national NCAA events and makes their hockey program even more attractive than it already is. Having the University on our side is significant. IMO it's the only reason why Tempe's even listening after the franchise's history in Glendale (notwithstanding that all the worst stuff happened under bankruptcy and the Ice Clowns).

Sounds like you're listening to that new podcast series on GoPHNX about the Coyotes history.

Haven't stated it yet but it looks good.

And on that note.... gonna move to a new thread. Even if I didn't have to. :m-tongue:

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Tempe won't get a big return from office and residential as compared the TED. Also, that high rise might end being a low rise.:)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In the NHL, half of the teams reported positive operating income (pre-pandemic). Are you suggesting they did so only because they are including outside revenue?

Yep....

Virtually every franchise you see making a profit owns or operates the arena they play at. OR has other revenue generators as a backup to any shortages.

And some owners have stated they can only get into the plus if the team makes the playoffs at least one round,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad