This is why we have Marleau

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Marleau was signed by Lou Lam, not Dubas.

Second, Marleau was signed because it was a major veteran and recognizable/honoured name in the NHL. Remember that quote from Babcock around the time he first came here: (paraphrasing) “Once you make it safe, they [Toronto-born players] will come back. You gotta make it safe first.”

Marleau was part of that process, as was Matt Martin. Lou knee he had to protect players on and off the ice to lure Torontonians to their home town.

Without Marleau, you don’t get Tavares. That was a major reason we didn’t get Stamkos. We didn’t have the support network in place to prove to Stammer we could succeed. But we did have it for Tavares.

Also Dubas knows how to use PowerPoint.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Marleau was signed by Lou Lam, not Dubas.

Second, Marleau was signed because it was a major veteran and recognizable/honoured name in the NHL. Remember that quote from Babcock around the time he first came here: (paraphrasing) “Once you make it safe, they [Toronto-born players] will come back. You gotta make it safe first.”

Marleau was part of that process, as was Matt Martin. Lou knee he had to protect players on and off the ice to lure Torontonians to their home town.

Without Marleau, you don’t get Tavares. That was a major reason we didn’t get Stamkos. We didn’t have the support network in place to prove to Stammer we could succeed. But we did have it for Tavares.

Also Dubas knows how to use PowerPoint.
I highly doubt that if we didn't get Marleau we don't get Tavares.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Let's be frank here. Marleau was a favourite of Babs on his Olympic teams. Babs loves guys who can free wheel. Lou only executed the signing. And everything was great upon signing and last year. The only issue this year is the free wheeling only happens 2-4 shifts a game at best. It is a fact of aging pure and simple. And it was very clear at camp. So the blame game has to stop. People are born and people die. Hockey players have a shelf life. Taxes must be paid. Move on. And if you think this year is bad wait til next season. If I was betting then I would say Patty will retire at camp next season. He is a smart guy and team focused.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Nylander is much better than Marleau, and will be going forward. the only reason you like Marleau is because he's older and less good
Nylander is completely useless, way less talent than Marleau had at his age .. he is like a 2nd line version of phil kessel. Marleau at least was twice the player and twice the leader nylander will ever be. At 38 years old marleau is producing and doing more than nylander... Nylander has played about as good as Lindholm... Enough of my rant about Nylander but it gets me going when people defend him yet knock other players, why defend the guy in his prime yet go after the 38 year old.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Let's be frank here. Marleau was a favourite of Babs on his Olympic teams. Babs loves guys who can free wheel. Lou only executed the signing. And everything was great upon signing and last year. The only issue this year is the free wheeling only happens 2-4 shifts a game at best. It is a fact of aging pure and simple. And it was very clear at camp. So the blame game has to stop. People are born and people die. Hockey players have a shelf life. Taxes must be paid. Move on. And if you think this year is bad wait til next season. If I was betting then I would say Patty will retire at camp next season. He is a smart guy and team focused.

Marleau is still a better player than guys like Brown, Lindholm, Gauthier, etc. but the problem is he's really expensive and may be a problematic cap hit for the 2020 season. That's the only reason why he should be moved. If we could pay him his bonus, have another team trade for him and buy him out and he comes back for league minimum a la Brooks Orpik, there's still a role for him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marleau has unfortunately been a lot worse this season than his reputation indicates and a fair drop off from his last Leafs season

Ideally he should be down on the 4th line, limited usage and more time for rest, and still eye to be a good vet presence in the room, but there’s no way Babcock does that.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is where the Dubas signing will pay dividends

Maybe. But it could end up like....

giphy.gif

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You have no argument.

I'm not surprised though.
Thanks for removing all doubt. Kadri is a huge issue. Right? Lol

It happens every time when a poster posts nonsense the very next game they look silly. Kadri has not been an issue all year. Producing like a 2nd line center playing 3 rd line center.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
When Johnsson gets back we should send Holl down and healthy scratch Marleau for a few games, give him some time to rest, work out, get his legs back plus gives Moore an extended look with the team.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marleau looks dis-engaged, has no chemistry with anyone, isnt making plays, no high end scoring chances etc. I cant imagine another year. The Leafs have to move his 6.25 million in the summer to a team that needs to reach the cap floor. Moore can replace him @ 775k and that 5.5 million can be used elsewhere.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Soooooo f***ing bad.
I dont know what the f*** happened with him (a year older i know) but hes been TERRIBLE for THE WHOLE SEASON!!!
He looks like a pensioner on Marner-Matthews wing, he made all his lines short handed all season. Brutal. As I said all Summer long we gonna lose a good young player because of his f***ing overpaid ass. Im so done with Marleau.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Every line Babs puts him on this season is playing short handed most of game. He can deliver here and there for a shift or two as his lungs/legs dictate. Like I said I feel bad for the guy but it will only get worse as time goes on.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Remember that Martin Matthews Marner line from last year. I honestly thought Martin had more chemistry with them than Marleau lol.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Marleau definitely has not been playing well lately. Kadri and Nylander on the same line was creating a lot of chances in the previous games, but their play died on Marleau. When Marleau went off their line, the y produced.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
2 points in his last 13 games. what's also worrying is he's the worst player on the team in cf% over that stretch. he seems done as a player

Reactions: Slyfox

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's UFA 20-21'

I wouldn't worry too much about him.

He'll be retired in some way shape or form. It's a non issue. We pay him 3million bonus, he is owed 1.25m so he can just take the bonus and then have a sore back or retire or get traded to Arizona. It's not a big deal at all.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
He'll be retired in some way shape or form. It's a non issue. We pay him 3million bonus, he is owed 1.25m so he can just take the bonus and then have a sore back or retire or get traded to Arizona. It's not a big deal at all.

One way ticket to Robidas Island.

Reactions: AreBe

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
What happens to his cap hit?

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
It's probably unfair to a future hall of famer like Marleau to get all this criticism..
But it was his decision to keep playing and of course it's babcock's decision to put him on the 1st line with Matthews/Marner..

You know sometimes I wonder if babcock did that to scuttle the Matthews/marner duo and shut his critics up.
But a professional,experienced,secure coach would never do that...I mean he wouldn't..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad