This is why we have Marleau

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Marleau is what he is, have no idea why people bash the guy, he's basically producing at the same pace as last year and people are acting like he's overpaid by 3-4 million, the guy at most is overpaid by a million which is nothing for us, literally nothing.

Kadri has disappeared and regressed, Nylander is totally invisible apart from his 'great chances" that he finishes none of and Zaitsev has been mediocre again. Those are the guys who should be getting bashed, not a near 40 year old putting up a 40 point pace and getting paid basically what market value is.

Things that would make a real difference:
Marner, Matthews and Tavares getting PROPER TOI not 36th, 87th and 51st respectively
Kadri, Nylander and Zaitsev doing something
Babcock not ****ing up our PP and being incapable of making changes
Babcock not playing trash like Brown and Hyman on our first two lines when we have guys like Kap, Johnsson, Moore and Marchement

Marleau is the LEAST of this team's concerns.
Marleau and his 22 points at his cap hit is not a problem but Kadri and his 28 points at his lessor cap hit is. Hard to take your post seriously when you are not comparing players equally.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I think that Marleau will work quite well with Matthews and Marner. I think that line will gel instantly. I expect this to be our permanent #1 line going forward.
Matthews never ever plays well with Marleau. RIP that Marner/Matthews line bc egocock put Marleau with them.

Reactions: Erdinger

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Marleau was the leading goal scorer in the playoffs last year, including 2 goals in game 7

While the primadona Dubas just signed to $7million contract scored 1 goal in 7 games.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Marleau and his 22 points at his cap hit is not a problem but Kadri and his 28 points at his lessor cap hit is. Hard to take your post seriously when you are not comparing players equally.

Marleau is literally done after next year and yes expecting Marleau to improve his play as he nears 40 is a problem, meanwhile we have Naz regressing, Nylander looking like complete garbage and Zaitsev looking mediocre as ever and people want to whine about the fact we overpaid some vet by 1 maybe 1.5 million tops, big deal, that money makes literally no difference to us, package Zaitsev with a 2nd and we free up way more money.

Hard to take your post seriously when you can't even evaluate the severity of problems, Marleau is way low on the list.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Marleau is literally done after next year and yes expecting Marleau to improve his play as he nears 40 is a problem, meanwhile we have Naz regressing, Nylander looking like complete garbage and Zaitsev looking mediocre as ever and people want to whine about the fact we overpaid some vet by 1 maybe 1.5 million tops, big deal, that money makes literally no difference to us, package Zaitsev with a 2nd and we free up way more money.

Hard to take your post seriously when you can't even evaluate the severity of problems, Marleau is way low on the list.
Lol. I drew your attention to your lack of common sense when addressing one problem. Kadri plays a lot with Marleau who is a shell of himself. Kadri gets to play with all the players who are not performing up to snuff and calling him a problem while ignoring the facts is a poor assessment.

I have no problem with Marleau as I think he is gone this summer. If he comes back he costs us a very good player and that is a huge issue.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Lol. I drew your attention to your lack of common sense when addressing one problem. Kadri plays a lot with Marleau who is a shell of himself. Kadri gets to play with all the players who are not performing up to snuff and calling him a problem while ignoring the facts is a poor assessment.

I have no problem with Marleau as I think he is gone this summer. If he comes back he costs us a very good player and that is a huge issue.

No, I think you are just not intelligent enough to perceive the level I'm thinking on.

As a 1D thinker, you think like this "DUR SLIGHTLY BELOW PACE, BAD!!!!! DURRRRR"

As a 3D thinker, I think like "Well let's factor in his age, the alternatives, his leadership qualities and long term ROI of mentoring players and greater underperformances by others"

Unfortunately, you'd rather comment about a 40 year old who is pacing for a similar year as last year, while I'd rather look at real problems, i.e Nazem's goal total going down 33% or his point total going down by 15% or Nylander pacing for 15 points or Babcock's horrendous coaching.

Hopefully this was of use for you and you can start to think about things holistically as opposed to thinking a 40 year old pacing for a similar season as the last being at all the issue here.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
relT.CF/60 2018-19:
Nylander: +5.56
Kapanen: +3.95
Marner: +2.39
Johnsson: +1.44
Hyman: +1.26
Brown: -2.29
Hyman: -4.57

Shot attempts are actually driven best by Nylander (ainc), with Kapanen + Marner being well-above average. Johnsson and Hyman are positives, Brown sucks, and Marleau has fallen off a cliff in creating shots.

relT.xGF/60 2018-19:
Hyman: +0.75
Marner: +0.37
Nylander: +0.31
Kapanen: +0.31
Marleau: -0.02
Johnsson: -0.35
Brown: -0.54

When it comes to creating higher danger chances, its Hyman ainec. Marner next closely followed by Nylander and Kapanen. Johnsson is interesting because he's positive at driving shots, but the shots he creates look like they're mostly not good chances.

In conclusion, we have at minimum 4 "possession" driving wingers, and up to 3 that "can carry a line"

I do agree Marleau doesn't bring much offensively anymore, but the real issue seems to be thay we get schlacked in shots/chances when he's on the ice.

Can you explain what those stats are in bold mean?

Just curious

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Kapanen is starting to show he can do it as well. and Nylander has done pretty well in the past. Definitely not Marleau though
Yeh Kapanen is proving to be a pretty good spark-plug that ignites lines.
I'm happy to hear reports that he isn't available.

Andersen + Kapanen + Greenway for Kessel.

Doesn't look so bad now, eh?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Can you explain what those stats are in bold mean?

Just curious

First one is relative to teammates corsi for. Aka relative to his average teammate how many shots attempts they create.

Second is relative to teammates expected goals for. It takes into account volume of shot attempts (corsi) but it includes quality of the shot (distance, angle, etc).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The leafs are going through a horrible stretch and our best player (Mathews is really struggling and the team is struggling). It is a luxury to be able to put Marleau on Mathews line, this is why leafs got Marleau is on this team. If we didn't have a veteran like this I would start getting really worried but now we have a guy that can help guide this team back to victory. Babcock can play Marleau with Marner and Mathews let them learn from him and have him calm them back down. If anyone can get Mathews out of this slump it is Patrick Marleau. Then when the team starts rolling again we can put the lines back to normal. This is where the Dubas signing will pay dividends
maybe he should coach the forwards then

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Patrick Marleau needs to worry about his own self. He has 2 points in the prior 12 games. His last assist is from December 8th.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Young guy with back to back 60 point seasons and great hair not a penny more though!

So you pay Marleau to score in the present and not his HOF past and Nylander for his 120 point past and not the present.........interesting take.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
for an excellent young player in his prime years? Nylander will bring way more value relative to his contract than Marleau, so I'm not sure this is a point you want to make
Nylander has played far worse than Marleau, and the off-ice intangibles cannot even be measured compared to No-Show Nylander

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
So you pay Marleau to score in the present and not his HOF past and Nylander for his 120 point past and not the present.........interesting take.
Don't forget Nylander has the great hair to !! Yes Nylander is over paid and badly was sarcasm. Considering how well Leafs and Kapanen were playing before Nylander deal Dubas did not need to sign him. Would have been best to actually trade Nylander for defense he was not needed. Leafs have plenty of talented forwards more then most Nylander deal was silly but nobody could have predicted how bad he'd be I'm shocked myself.

Reactions: egd27

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Nylander has played far worse than Marleau, and the off-ice intangibles cannot even be measured compared to No-Show Nylander
nylander has been better than marleau. nylander has actually produced quite a bit of chances while marleau remains invisible

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No, I think you are just not intelligent enough to perceive the level I'm thinking on.

As a 1D thinker, you think like this "DUR SLIGHTLY BELOW PACE, BAD!!!!! DURRRRR"

As a 3D thinker, I think like "Well let's factor in his age, the alternatives, his leadership qualities and long term ROI of mentoring players and greater underperformances by others"

Unfortunately, you'd rather comment about a 40 year old who is pacing for a similar year as last year, while I'd rather look at real problems, i.e Nazem's goal total going down 33% or his point total going down by 15% or Nylander pacing for 15 points or Babcock's horrendous coaching.

Hopefully this was of use for you and you can start to think about things holistically as opposed to thinking a 40 year old pacing for a similar season as the last being at all the issue here.
You are a legend.

In your own mind.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nylander is much better than Marleau, and will be going forward. the only reason you like Marleau is because he's older and less good

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Marleau was added to bring in ALL HAIL MARLEAU FOR HE COMETH WITHIN some veteran experience, which will be HE HATH RISEN UPON US invaluable come playoff time. Just be patient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->