This is why we have Marleau

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
The leafs are going through a horrible stretch and our best player (Mathews is really struggling and the team is struggling). It is a luxury to be able to put Marleau on Mathews line, this is why leafs got Marleau is on this team. If we didn't have a veteran like this I would start getting really worried but now we have a guy that can help guide this team back to victory. Babcock can play Marleau with Marner and Mathews let them learn from him and have him calm them back down. If anyone can get Mathews out of this slump it is Patrick Marleau. Then when the team starts rolling again we can put the lines back to normal. This is where the Dubas signing will pay dividends

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
marleau is a liability. he's invisible almost every shift he's on the ice and costs over 6 million against the cap that the leafs probably can't get rid of due to his nmc. i don't know why you have an obsession with the easily replaceable role players on the team but it's extremely exaggerated.

also, lou lamarello signed marleau, not dubas. more likely than not, dubas woulda done the smart thing and not sign marleau to that regrettable contract.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think that Marleau will work quite well with Matthews and Marner. I think that line will gel instantly. I expect this to be our permanent #1 line going forward.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think Matthews needs a sleepover in the Marleau boys' bunk beds after a night of mini sticks and popcorn in the basement
Hopefully they take it easy on him to give him a confidence boost! :laugh:... jokes aside he’s been great for the young guys despite slowing down this season!

Lets go boys!

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Apparently players get better when he walks by, so he must not be very mobile in the dressing room lately.

Really though, his veteran presence should help, but his on ice play has nose dived.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Psychology is part of the game. I don't think Marleau is at all worth the contract but OP is likely right that an experienced guy helps to a degree in these situations and I don't think it's fair to take that away from the guy.

If Marleau can't even get himself out of a slump, how is he going to help anyone else?

I understand what 7even is saying about psychology and knowing not to quit and keep trying don't let it bother you etc. However at his pay scale I gotta agree with CantlosewithMathews he's in his own rut and possibly bringing himself and others down.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
marleau is a liability. he's invisible almost every shift he's on the ice and costs over 6 million against the cap that the leafs probably can't get rid of due to his nmc. i don't know why you have an obsession with the easily replaceable role players on the team but it's extremely exaggerated.

also, lou lamarello signed marleau, not dubas. more likely than not, dubas woulda done the smart thing and not sign marleau to that regrettable contract.
To be fair, no one expected Nylander to make 7 M and Marner to potentially make 9 M. No one knew Tavares would join the team. This contract actually made sense when it was signed but now it's turned into a burden that could cost us Gardiner

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
To be fair, no one expected Nylander to make 7 M and Marner to potentially make 9 M. No one knew Tavares would join the team. This contract actually made sense when it was signed but now it's turned into a burden that could cost us Gardiner
It was a bad contract then and it's a bad contract now. More than 6 million for 3 seasons for a 37 year old who was declining in play and production is never a smart signing to make.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The only winger that can carry a line and drive possession is Marner. Marleau is a borderline nhler at this point.

relT.CF/60 2018-19:
Nylander: +5.56
Kapanen: +3.95
Marner: +2.39
Johnsson: +1.44
Hyman: +1.26
Brown: -2.29
Hyman: -4.57

Shot attempts are actually driven best by Nylander (ainc), with Kapanen + Marner being well-above average. Johnsson and Hyman are positives, Brown sucks, and Marleau has fallen off a cliff in creating shots.

relT.xGF/60 2018-19:
Hyman: +0.75
Marner: +0.37
Nylander: +0.31
Kapanen: +0.31
Marleau: -0.02
Johnsson: -0.35
Brown: -0.54

When it comes to creating higher danger chances, its Hyman ainec. Marner next closely followed by Nylander and Kapanen. Johnsson is interesting because he's positive at driving shots, but the shots he creates look like they're mostly not good chances.

In conclusion, we have at minimum 4 "possession" driving wingers, and up to 3 that "can carry a line"

I do agree Marleau doesn't bring much offensively anymore, but the real issue seems to be thay we get schlacked in shots/chances when he's on the ice.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Psychology is part of the game. I don't think Marleau is at all worth the contract but OP is likely right that an experienced guy helps to a degree in these situations and I don't think it's fair to take that away from the guy.

You know what helps a team psychologically? A guy like Kapanen busting his ass to try and make himself an important part of the team. A guy like Dermott busting his ass to become a top 4 player. A guy like Moore coming up and busting his ass off to make the team. If you want to use an example... Gary Roberts on the Penguins dropping the mitts at 39 years old or whatever he was and throwing checks helping his team get to the cup that year he retired. That's what psychologically helps at team and if you want some more... Mitch Marner doing amazing things, JT scoring like a machine, Matthews when he wasn't injured or whatever dominating or best of all... Morgan Rielly leading all defenders in the league. Remember when Kadri got in peoples faces? That was helpful psychologically. Marleau? Does nothing to push himself to the limits and everyone in the room can see it and it's not helping anything. I am sure he is a nice guy and they like him but they want to win too.

Reactions: TML11 and Metroid

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
relT.CF/60 2018-19:
Nylander: +5.56
Kapanen: +3.95
Marner: +2.39
Johnsson: +1.44
Hyman: +1.26
Brown: -2.29
Hyman: -4.57

Shot attempts are actually driven best by Nylander (ainc), with Kapanen + Marner being well-above average. Johnsson and Hyman are positives, Brown sucks, and Marleau has fallen off a cliff in creating shots.

relT.xGF/60 2018-19:
Hyman: +0.75
Marner: +0.37
Nylander: +0.31
Kapanen: +0.31
Marleau: -0.02
Johnsson: -0.35
Brown: -0.54

When it comes to creating higher danger chances, its Hyman ainec. Marner next closely followed by Nylander and Kapanen. Johnsson is interesting because he's positive at driving shots, but the shots he creates look like they're mostly not good chances.

In conclusion, we have at minimum 4 "possession" driving wingers, and up to 3 that "can carry a line"

I do agree Marleau doesn't bring much offensively anymore, but the real issue seems to be thay we get schlacked in shots/chances when he's on the ice.

Yet more examples of why I am not a big Brown fan. Its not just the eye test,

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
If Marleau can't even get himself out of a slump, how is he going to help anyone else?

I understand what 7even is saying about psychology and knowing not to quit and keep trying don't let it bother you etc. However at his pay scale I gotta agree with CantlosewithMathews he's in his own rut and possibly bringing himself and others down.

Marleau isn't in a slump, he's just 39.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
You know what helps a team psychologically? A guy like Kapanen busting his ass to try and make himself an important part of the team. A guy like Dermott busting his ass to become a top 4 player. A guy like Moore coming up and busting his ass off to make the team. If you want to use an example... Gary Roberts on the Penguins dropping the mitts at 39 years old or whatever he was and throwing checks helping his team get to the cup that year he retired. That's what psychologically helps at team and if you want some more... Mitch Marner doing amazing things, JT scoring like a machine, Matthews when he wasn't injured or whatever dominating or best of all... Morgan Rielly leading all defenders in the league. Remember when Kadri got in peoples faces? That was helpful psychologically. Marleau? Does nothing to push himself to the limits and everyone in the room can see it and it's not helping anything. I am sure he is a nice guy and they like him but they want to win too.

I don't know if you're ignoring people-to-people interactions off the ice on purpose or not. My post wasn't about on ice play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad