This is Nazem Kadri's Chance.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don't know RC or Babcock in person but from the interviews by these two, Carlye have an old school approach to his players, in short tough love, where Babcock have stated he will communicate differently to different players bc everyone is different. Babcock might be tough but he is also someone who will try his best to deliver his message across.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is his last chance for sure. I'm still optimistic about Kadri and think he can be a productive player for us, but this is definitely his make or break year. I think Babcock is just the coach to push him over the edge to being a professional hockey player. Babs wants professionals, and Kadri had damn well better be one, otherwise he's going to sit and get the Kessel treatment.

I have faith in Kadri, I hope he can justify it this season.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Kadri and Kessel could never really get chemistry going (given they didn't play together much), but hopefully JVR and Naz will click. If they do, I could see 65-75 points for Kadri.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One of the more fascinating question marks for the new season to come. I'm really curious to see how he does. This coming year is his chance to make a statement about whether he will be expendable or an important component of the rebuild. Ball is totally in his court. He needs to be very good, and I wouldn't put it past him.

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
I'd be pleasantly surprised if he flourishes as the #1C. At this point I see him more as a #2C, so I think it might be a struggle if the majority of the offense is expected to go through him (and all the top D are matched up against him). I guess we'll see. Looking at this roster, there's not much else to look forward to.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He will finally get ice time and the confidence of his coach to begin with. He ultimately dictates whether he gets traded or becomes part of the core. Work your ass off and become a core player or go somewhere else.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
This is indeed the year.

Management is probably expecting him to carry the offense this year. Be the number one center and play in all situations, show us what you can do. Surrounding Kadri with solid possession players in free agency was a nice move as well.

Guessing we will see a top line of JVR-Kadri-Parenteau this season. Predicting a 25-35-60 year from Kadri.

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
If, under Babcock, Tyler Bozak still gets 1st line time, I'm going to quit sports for good.

There's no way that Bozak comes back as a top minute-getter under Babcock right?

right?

RIGHT?

I so agree to the part about Bozak getting top minutes. he better be on 3C where he belongs or be traded for even nothing. Yes as you can tell i hate the guy.

mikebel111*

He will and should. He seems to do well when a coach shows faith in him and Babcock already said he considers him part of the future.
Looks like Kadri has fixed his issues off the ice and that was his biggest hurdle. He is already a beauty on the ice and managment knows that too it seems.
He is meeting expectations on and off the ice as well now and thats behind playing a GA king in Bozak

Keep proving people wrong Nazem. Goes to show what Shanahan thinks of the other C performance playing 1st line minutes

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
He will kill it.
Spotlight is on him so he will thrive.
Good player getting more well rounded each season that passes.
I think in general he will thrive and produce a ****load more pp points this year. I would estimate 65 points in a healthy season 0.79ppg

Powerplay opportunities are trending down. 65 points could very well put him top 25 in scoring lol.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Powerplay opportunities are trending down. 65 points could very well put him top 25 in scoring lol.

But he draws PP opportunities like none other, maybe you meant to refer to his effectiveness on the PP? Given ample TOI, it seems even 3rd liners can put up decent numbers and we saw it to full effect with the 2008-2009 Toronto team. That is why I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him do well. He, Arcobello, and maybe Panik could put up nice numbers next year.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
This is his last chance for sure. I'm still optimistic about Kadri and think he can be a productive player for us, but this is definitely his make or break year. I think Babcock is just the coach to push him over the edge to being a professional hockey player. Babs wants professionals, and Kadri had damn well better be one, otherwise he's going to sit and get the Kessel treatment.

I have faith in Kadri, I hope he can justify it this season.

...his last chance for what? If he puts up 50 points and is decent defensively, there's no reason to move him.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'm expecting 55-60 points for Kadri in an increased role for him. I don't particularly like Nazem, but there's no denying he has creativity and good offensive skills across the board.

It really is sink or swim for him now though. He'll be the #1C this upcoming season and we'll see how he handles it.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The guy shows up late to 1 practice after everyones mailed it in the day after daylight savings and hes unproffesional aparently. Atleast he cared to play during games, unlike bozak and kessel. I dont see people saying how great of a job he did dealing with Ron Wilsons crap over the years.

This was my biggest issue with the criticism he got last year. He was one of the only guys who was actually trying once the wheels fell off. The entire top line quit, which I believe is why the line was effectively destroyed this offseason.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If you wanna tell yourself he got internally suspended because of 1 late practice, give your head a shake. That was just a final straw. I like Naz but that doesn't happen to someone who innocently messes up once.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
But he draws PP opportunities like none other, maybe you meant to refer to his effectiveness on the PP? Given ample TOI, it seems even 3rd liners can put up decent numbers and we saw it to full effect with the 2008-2009 Toronto team. That is why I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him do well. He, Arcobello, and maybe Panik could put up nice numbers next year.

A big part of our rebuild will be signing cheap reclamation projects (Winnik, Santorelli, and Parenteau) playing them with Kadri, and then trading them in he midst of a career year for draft picks.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
...his last chance for what? If he puts up 50 points and is decent defensively, there's no reason to move him.

...To act like a professional. There's no doubt in my mind he can do what you just said if not more, but the organization last year had enough of a problem with him to public ally shame him. It's his last year to shape which, like I said, I believe with Babcock on board Kadri can and will.

JMilne*

I use to love kadri ,not anymore every year I expect him to step up , he still has not . He just talks and talks . " I'm gonna be the next Johnny T one day " oh yeah but . Trade him well people still want him before he has as much value as zack sill ( I know he won't have that little value ) but trade him

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
My expectations for Naz have dropped. Theg were probably too high at some point, though. Honestly I feel mostly apathetic towards everyone on this roster that isn't Morgan and, for some reason, Gardiner.

I have a feeling Kadri won't be here after another few years, but then again he was a London Knight, and I know nothing, Jon Snow.

thatsenoughnow

May 15, 2015
I'm rooting for Kadri.

Hope he solidifies himself as our #1 centre for the next couple years until Marner/Nylander is ready to step up, then Kadri will be our #2.

I believe he's got all that it takes to make it big in the NHL, and if he does step it up you can't ask for much more from a #2C

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The main reason my lofty expectations for Kadri have waned is that he remains slight of build for an NHL center. I thought he would fill out more and become a more solidly built center who is very strong on the puck. Who doesn't love the feisty flourishes and dangles but those of us expecting a more substantial player are disappointed in the overall game and the need to use discipline in his 5th year as a pro.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Anyone who thinks Kadri was suspended for merely missing a practice is out to lunch. He has a history of being benched that dates back to junior. Coaches have said things like he "doesn't listen" and has "bad habits." He was drafted 5/6 years ago and has really made zero improvements to his game, lacks intensity, does not train or work hard and he himself thinks he is an elite player. I don't think things end up well for Kadri. And putting him on the first line is also setting him up for failure - he will het eaten alive. Unfortunately he is currently our best C so Babs really has no choice. But I don't see Kadri as a core future piece, he is not a Shanny/Babs high character player with a good work ethic. Babs will rip him to shreds if he continues to use that rubbish toe drag move at the blueline that 99% of the time turns into a turnover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad