Pre-Game Talk: This is fine - Game 6/82 - EDM@MIN - 24/10/23, 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Am I missing something? What has Janmark shown that warrants a top 6 look let alone a TOP LINE posting?!?
Nothing. But then again neither has anyone else from the bottom 6 looked like they deserve a top 6 look. Other than Foegele. And he’s in the other scoring line.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'd buy the balancing lines argument if they looked to roll at least 3 of the 4 lines close to the same minutes (ie. all between 13-16 at 5 on 5). But we know he doesn't do that and prefers L1/L2 to be in the 16-18 minutes at 5 on 5 vs. 3rd line 10-12 minute and 4th line 6-8 minutes.
Not having McDavid in the lineup changes a lot of things.
TOI distribution is likely going to change in a big way.

I see this as a good thing.
I totally get the seduction around giving the 2 best offensive players in the game max icetime at the expense of the bottom 6.
I mean its a bit of a no brainer and because of that its a hard thing to resist but its also a double edged sword. While you are maximizing the icetime for your 2 offensive best players that also doesnt allow for the bottom 2 lines to 'get into the game'. Its not easy to jump off the bench and get up to full speed when your icetime is a grand total of 2-3 minutes a period. Even worse if there are a lot of PP's.
That matters a lot more in the playoffs when running all the lines is more of a priority.

So I am all for more balance.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota is missing their best Dman, Spurgeon, and their 2nd best forward(arguably), Boldy. They are playing with over 31M of cap space being out.

Bottom line is that EDM has a puncher's chance to win this game.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Minnesota is missing their best Dman, Spurgeon, and their 2nd best forward(arguably), Boldy. They are playing with over 31M of cap space being out.

Bottom line is that EDM has a puncher's chance to win this game.

The Wild lineup does not look inspiring at all.

Even without McDavid, we should in theory outmatch them. I emphasize in theory, because no matter how much better we are than other teams on paper we always find a way to f*** it up.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Even without McDavid, we should in theory outmatch them. I emphasize in theory, because no matter how much better we are than other teams on paper we always find a way to f*** it up.

Their line up never does really. They have a pretty weak roster. But they always seem to punch above their weight. Good team but unfortunately for them they never have enough skill to do anything in the playoffs.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I hear you but strong systems play makes up for a lot.

If the Oilers can go all in on a tighter system they would be very hard to beat because when they do get a chance they have the talent to make it count.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
At least Holloway's on the 1st line which makes more sense than Woody's

And Janmark has had at least some success scoring with RNH. Actually Foegele-RNH-Janmark have pretty decent numbers as a trio as well, so his lines do make more sense than Woody's.

1698176146667.png

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Yep. Test early so the young player can see exactly where they need to grow and what they need to do and they will hopefully repay that trust at the end of the season and playoffs while they spend most of the season lower in the lineup. October is test time, we load up the top line and give Janmark more time to take penalties.
He got that for a whopping one period last year and woodcroft is holding him accountable a season plus later.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Kane cries publicly. Get rewarded. What does his teamates think?
I think you missed some salient points

- best player in world injured, out for 2 weeks
- team has won ONE game in 6 to start season
- top 6 player has been slow to start, limited ice time
- top 6 player made flippant comments that are not taken in context by some posters
- Coach has stated comments are not a big deal if he understand correctly

If he's going to fight for selfish reasons, that's arguably not good. If it's to get the team and himself going, it's a good thing, says coach Woodcroft. “I see that as a positive,” said the coach. He added, “I saw somebody that was frustrated in how the first two periods went in term of the amount of penalties taken.”
JW quote on EK

- top6 player is challenged to fill the skill gap caused by best player absence buy assignment to first line
- team mates want to win game tonight

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
will be a test of the oilers. But, I am now going to get heavily into the game till the OIlers

idea for the oilers next unis--maybe the refs will leave them alone

I can't believe the league allowed this to happen. Even the other team. Such a distraction

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Kanes comments don't bother me at all, he made a snide comment regarding ice time, who cares. I actually think it was a shot at himself as much as the coach. JW throwing him on the 3rd line ("I'll show you") is a sure fire way to make matters worse. Some players are high maintenance, some need to be treated differently, coddled even. We NEED Kane, he NEEDS to be in our top 6. Pissing him off to prove a point is not how you coach him.

I can't be bothered to look...but to the poster who decided to post a rumor from Winnipeg (shocking) regarding Kane. If you are a true Oiler fan, you should be embarrassed. What is the upside in posting that?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The lines don't really make me mad. We have 7 forwards averaging at least a minute a night on the PP.

Leon, Connor, Nuge, Hyman, Kane, McLeod and Brown.

Only 4 of those guys have multiple points on the year. The one guy with next to no PP time is the only other guy with multiple points in Foegele.

Simply put, there isn't one player that should be upset with the lines. You want the minutes do something on the line you are on and odds are you can move up.

Kanes comments don't bother me at all, he made a snide comment regarding ice time, who cares. I actually think it was a shot at himself as much as the coach. JW throwing him on the 3rd line ("I'll show you") is a sure fire way to make matters worse. Some players are high maintenance, some need to be treated differently, coddled even. We NEED Kane, he NEEDS to be in our top 6. Pissing him off to prove a point is not how you coach him.

I can't be bothered to look...but to the poster who decided to post a rumor from Winnipeg (shocking) regarding Kane. If you are a true Oiler fan, you should be embarrassed. What is the upside in posting that?
I don't get bothered by much of the answers these guys give. The amount of questions that I pick up after a game very social media are just pointless, so it's nice to see Kane and Leon give the answers they are.

Reactions: bone and jeffff

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Every team in the league wants younger players to have a shot. While I like Holloway as a player, as others have mentioned, besides skating hard, he hasn't done anything.

Yes Janmark isn't ideal on the top line but we're not 5-0. We need to win, Janmark is responsible defensively. Drai and Kane should be relied upon for offense on that line. Janmark can cover their asses.

Now is not the time to be experimenting with Holloway on the first line.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I totally get the seduction around giving the 2 best offensive players in the game max icetime at the expense of the bottom 6.
I mean its a bit of a no brainer and because of that its a hard thing to resist but its also a double edged sword. While you are maximizing the icetime for your 2 offensive best players that also doesnt allow for the bottom 2 lines to 'get into the game'. Its not easy to jump off the bench and get up to full speed when your icetime is a grand total of 2-3 minutes a period. Even worse if there are a lot of PP's.
That matters a lot more in the playoffs when running all the lines is more of a priority.

If that's what happens... I'll support it, but I'm in the camp of "I'll believe if and when I see it".

I'm particularly doubtful of it as we've seen them put Nurse out for extreme minutes before in a lopsided game or exhibition game. I'm just not sure Woody can help himself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If that's what happens... I'll support it, but I'm in the camp of "I'll believe if and when I see it".

I'm particularly doubtful of it as we've seen them put Nurse out for extreme minutes before in a lopsided game or exhibition game. I'm just not sure Woody can help himself.
I dont blame you a bit.
Its just a theory on my part...I'm in that camp too. :nod:

Reactions: bone

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I get pumping their minutes in the playoffs but like. This team is a playoff team. We are burning out our stars and building rust on the rest. The season should be building chemistry and getting guys going so that we know what we have in the playoffs and McDrai have their legs. Instead they burn them out and then the rest haven’t had the ice time to get going.

It’s just baffling.

Reactions: McAsuno

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I get pumping their minutes in the playoffs but like. This team is a playoff team. We are burning out our stars and building rust on the rest. The season should be building chemistry and getting guys going so that we know what we have in the playoffs and McDrai have their legs. Instead they burn them out and then the rest haven’t had the ice time to get going.

It’s just baffling.
I couldnt agree more.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

It’s just baffling.
My guess is there was management pressure to do what Vegas is actually doing right now - starting the season strong to bank points towards the Pacific Division title. It provides more of a points cushion at the end of the season for the Oilers to play the LTIR games that recent championship teams have exploited. It's almost become a must-have to acquire the depth for a championship run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad