Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I was hoping The Hockey news was right about Broberg playing RW. Boo

Screenshot_20231024_111157_Chrome.jpg

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I get the whole Frozen Frenzy thing tonight in the US, but man the NHL has fumbled the shit out of the scheduling in Canada.

TOR/WSH: Regionally blocked, TSN Toronto Region
BUF/OTT: Regionally blocked, TSN Ottawa Region
MTL/NJD: Regionally blocked, TSN Montreal Region
WPG/STL: Regionally blocked, TSN Winnipeg Region
VAN/NSH: Regionally blocked, SNP
NYR/CGY: Broadcasted SN360

The rest aren’t even shown so unless you got SN+ or NHL Centre Ice you’re not able to see them.

The most hilarious part about is that the only nationally televised game is NYR/CGY, but it’s on an add-on network meaning if you had a basic cable package in Ontario you’ll be able to see 1/16 games tonight.

Refs will give them a 10 minute team misconduct for impersonating the refs and give Kane an extra 4 mins

And give Calgary our 3rd round pick.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I get the whole Frozen Frenzy thing tonight in the US, but man the NHL has fumbled the shit out of the scheduling in Canada.

The rest aren’t even shown so unless you got SN+ or NHL Centre Ice you’re not able to see them.

The most hilarious part about is that the only nationally televised game is NYR/CGY, but it’s on an add-on network meaning if you had a basic cable package in Ontario you’ll be able to see 1/16 games tonight.

The NHL should've made Center ice free on frenzy day. Not sure how many of them they have, but make it free for a few of them trying to convince people to buy center ice. Or some sort of option where you can pay for the one day.

Be very curious how many games I'll get on my package. Which I have no idea what i even have lol. Probably just watch baseball before Oiler game anyway.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Kanes comments don't bother me at all, he made a snide comment regarding ice time, who cares. I actually think it was a shot at himself as much as the coach. JW throwing him on the 3rd line ("I'll show you") is a sure fire way to make matters worse. Some players are high maintenance, some need to be treated differently, coddled even. We NEED Kane, he NEEDS to be in our top 6. Pissing him off to prove a point is not how you coach him.

I can't be bothered to look...but to the poster who decided to post a rumor from Winnipeg (shocking) regarding Kane. If you are a true Oiler fan, you should be embarrassed. What is the upside in posting that?
Just to piss u off tough guy
That’s all Little Jeffy

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

They also fumbled this ridiculously on picking what date to do this.

First of all it is on a random Tuesday on the NHL schedule with half of the games being out of Conference matchups and only two divisional matchups featuring non-traditional rivals (Jets vs Blues and Sabres vs. Sens).

Not only is it a piss poor selection of 16 games on a random Tuesday, but it's on season opening night for the NBA and Game 7 of the NLCS.

This is a great concept but should be planned for a weekend once football is done or at least once Baseball playoffs are done and on a random night for NBA if doing a week night.

Reactions: RegDunlop

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
If the team could study the tapes of the infamous MGM line that'd be appreciated.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Been an established NHL player. Janmark doesn’t deserve shit either but let’s not act like Holloway has earned anything.
Well shit if experience trumps everything, what's that bum Holloway even doing on this team when we have 282 game NHL veteran Drake Caggiula in the minors?

Reliability?
Janmark plays a quiet game defensively. The coach knows what he is getting.
Holloway (a player that I really like) is still a defensive question mark. If you are going to line match against the other teams best players then question marks arent a good idea.

The other thing might be that he is also trying to balance out the lines.
Believe it or not, Holloway has a lower GA/60 at even strength since the start of last season than Janmark does. I've never particularly noted Holloway's defensive game as needing work - heck part of the reason he was drafted 14th was because his two way game was very sound.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

The entire Frozen Frenzy concept was initiated and promoted by ESPN as a type of mirror to the NFL RedZone, so you could say it works for them and their target/core audience. But point made that the NHLmwould be wise to go to their 3 nation wide rights holders and cobble together a plan that works on both sides of the 49th. The league is an anomaly in that sense.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

I don't understand the strategy in the US either because it's NBA opening night.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
@tardigrade81
@brentashton

Just talking to my friend who does play by play for the Jets. Kane asked Dillion to fight 3 times Saturday night so he could get kicked out of the game. Dillion’s friends on the Oilers informed him that Kane has been a distraction in the dressing room this year
Just great news
Whether these stories are true or not the Oilers knew that signing Kane to a longer term contract was a risk. All contracts bear some sort of risk profile and this guy certainly came with a few red flags. But again, it might be just a story.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Whether these stories are true or not the Oilers knew that signing Kane to a longer term contract was a risk. All contracts bear some sort of risk profile and this guy certainly came with a few red flags. But again, it might be just a story.
U got er!
I’ll PM ya, if that’s okay

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If we dont see the strongest effort of the season so far in this game then there are serious problems with this team.
I expect we'll see a more complete game from this group. I expect a win tomorrow.
I might end up getting shamed off the boards for this but I am going to agree with you. Oilers win 5-3.

• Haha
Reactions: guymez

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well shit if experience trumps everything, what's that bum Holloway even doing on this team when we have 282 game NHL veteran Drake Caggiula in the minors?

Believe it or not, Holloway has a lower GA/60 at even strength since the start of last season than Janmark does. I've never particularly noted Holloway's defensive game as needing work - heck part of the reason he was drafted 14th was because his two way game was very sound.

He's been plagued by the few mistakes he's made being really big mistakes whether it be bad turnovers or bad penalties at inopportune times. So unfortunately that's likely what is sticking in Woody's memory.

Funny how Janmark's bad penalty in the playoffs basically turned the entire series vs. Vegas. His bad penalties on Saturday also helped tilt the ice for 9 minutes in Winnipeg's favor, but those don't seem to stick in the memory bank as well.

I don't understand the strategy in the US either because it's NBA opening night.
And Game 7 of the NLCS, and the games that are played tonight would have minimal playoff implications even if played in March.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's been plagued by the few mistakes he's made being really big mistakes whether it be bad turnovers or bad penalties at inopportune times. So unfortunately that's likely what is sticking in Woody's memory.

Funny how Janmark's bad penalty in the playoffs basically turned the entire series vs. Vegas. His bad penalties on Saturday also helped tilt the ice for 9 minutes in Winnipeg's favor, but those don't seem to stick in the memory bank as well.

And Game 7 of the NLCS, and the games that are played tonight would have minimal playoff implications even if played in March.
I was going to say, if you want to discuss bad penalties, Janmark is the f***ing king haha.

Actually, since feb 1 last year, he has the worst penalty differential on the entire team, with 10 minors taken and one drawn. Just careless stuff too, it drives me crazy.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I was going to say, if you want to discuss bad penalties, Janmark is the f***ing king haha.

Actually, since feb 1 last year, he has the worst penalty differential on the entire team, with 10 minors taken and one drawn. Just careless stuff too, it drives me crazy.
Yeah, I saw that as well. Not particularly beneficial to be a good PKer on a team if your the one usually in the box and aren't at least drawing a similar amount the other way.

It's like the Desharnais conundrum. Sure he's good at clearing the front of the net on the PK, but if he's in the box once a game, is it really a net benefit. That said, I've like VDs 5 on 5 game much better this year than last.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I saw that as well. Not particularly beneficial to be a good PKer on a team if your the one usually in the box and aren't at least drawing a similar amount the other way.

It's like the Desharnais conundrum. Sure he's good at clearing the front of the net on the PK, but if he's in the box once a game, is it really a net benefit. That said, I've like VDs 5 on 5 game much better this year than last.
Vinny's penalty differential isn't even bad, it's -4 over the same timeframe. I'll take that from a guy whose job it is to beat up other guys in front of our net.

From a 3rd/4th line PK forward? No. You can't kill the penalties YOU TAKE, Mattias.

Reactions: bone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad