FF% 47.43% (26th in NHL)
SCA 313 (25th in NHL)
HDCA 138 (27th in NHL)

17-18

CF% 45.92% (31st in NHL)
FF% 46.07% (31st in NHL)
SCA 1,991 (30th in NHL)
HDCA 845 (30th in NHL)

While there is an improvement defensively, slight improvement, this team is still bad defensively. The reason the team is 6-7-1 is because Lundqvist has played extremely well to start the season.

I will give Quinn credit in that he has this group trying harder than they did last year (as can be seen mildly in advanced statistics). BUT, they're clearly a bad team.

I will openly say I do not like him as a coach for how he manages the roster. I know there are MANY Quinn advocates on here who have already dismissed what I said, and I'm fine with that. I've never been in the crowd that "effort" wins games. Effort/talent wins games, and we have lost many games this season outworking the other team only to not get on the scoreboard. Quinn hasn't found that balance yet, and he will bench players who he deems not putting in the "effort" or being physical enough. And for a team that cannot score goals, it's not a practical approach in my opinion. This isn't a team like the Jets where they can afford to send Laine down to the 4th line to send a message. We don't have the talent to do that.

I also don't see him on the same page as Gorton, which is a problem.

If Lundqvist/Georgiev were average in each of their starts, this team might have 3-wins right now (I know, goaltending is part of the team). I get that they're not supposed to be a good team, and that they're rebuilding, but I cannot get behind his decisions.

Also, can they send Chytil down? It was to my understanding after he played 9 or 10 games (can't remember the number) that they would not be able to send him down without losing him for the season... can someone verify that or correct me on that?

The only reason why the coach wants to win games right now is so that there can be some positivity in the room. The talent isn't there and he knows it. Otherwise, he doesn't care about winning at this stage. He's trying to instill a culture so that, when the talent is there, the culture already exists. (Just what I see is happening, not meant to sound definitive)

So, you're right. He's making terrible decisions if the point is to win as many games as possible. But since that isn't the point, I don't see the problem.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The only reason why the coach wants to win games right now is so that there can be some positivity in the room. The talent isn't there and he knows it. Otherwise, he doesn't care about winning at this stage. He's trying to instill a culture so that, when the talent is there, the culture already exists. (Just what I see is happening, not meant to sound definitive)

So, you're right. He's making terrible decisions if the point is to win as many games as possible. But since that isn't the point, I don't see the problem.

I also think it’s possible that the coach wants to win now since this is his first NHL head coaching job, and since he seems to want to do this for a living instead of forming a REO Speedwagon covergroup, it would behoove him to build his resume.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I also think it’s possible that the coach wants to win now since this is his first NHL head coaching job, and since he seems to want to do this for a living instead of forming a REO Speedwagon covergroup, it would behoove him to build his resume.

All we need is Rick Nash. He would put this group over the top

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Not sure about Hayes, but trading Zucc is more than likely the first and only option.

Zuccarello isn't going to get traded and there is no reason to trade him. He sells a lot of merchandise. He is legitimately one of the most popular players in the NHL. Since hockey is a business, I can't see them moving an asset bringing in that much in merchandise sales (given that Zuccarello and Lundqvist are popular players in the NHL, there isn't a whole lot going on for this team right now, they won't be seeing playoff revenue for a while). For the future of the team, moving him probably does make sense. From a lets make $$$ standpoint, it just doesn't.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Zuccarello isn't going to get traded and there is no reason to trade him. He sells a lot of merchandise. He is legitimately one of the most popular players in the NHL. Since hockey is a business, I can't see them moving an asset bringing in that much in merchandise sales (given that Zuccarello and Lundqvist are popular players in the NHL, there isn't a whole lot going on for this team right now, they won't be seeing playoff revenue for a while). For the future of the team, moving him probably does make sense. From a lets make $$$ standpoint, it just doesn't.

Is this serious? Zucc is obviously a very likely candidate to get traded. It's hard to believe jersey sales amount to anything considering this teams history eating overpaid players salaries.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The money you lose in Zuccarello merchandise sales is offset by the money you save by not paying him. Probably more profit to be had by not paying him than keeping him for the merch sales. The money factor is a complete non-issue.

Reactions: NCRanger

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Is this serious? Zucc is obviously a very likely candidate to get traded. It's hard to believe jersey sales amount to anything considering this teams history eating overpaid players salaries.

People up top care about those things. It's a business first and foremost. He isnt a detriment to the team and he makes them money. You're making it sound like they want to eat these unnecessary salaries. I'm sure from a business perspective Gorton does care about paying players who dont perform.

Secondly, he is a good veteran to help mold the kids. What veterans do we have upfront that have his experience, work ethic and talent?

I wouldn't exactly count players like Zibenejad as seasoned veterans.

It's okay to have a team with a couple of veterans to lead the new wave of players coming in. I'm pretty sure the whole reason Staal gets his play time is because he is a veteran who has been through the ringer with this organization and can help with some of the kids. And if that's all his role is, I'm fine with that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

This is ridiculous. They aren't re-signing him because of merchandising.

Coming this Christmas, the Zucc talking doll! lol. I don't know where you guys come up with this stuff.

They'll make 5 times as much in jersey sales if we draft Hughes.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
People up top care about those things. It's a business first and foremost. He isnt a detriment to the team and he makes them money. You're making it sound like they want to eat these unnecessary salaries. I'm sure from a business perspective Gorton does care about paying players who dont perform.

Secondly, he is a good veteran to help mold the kids. What veterans do we have upfront that have his experience, work ethic and talent?

It's okay to have a team with a couple of veterans to lead the new wave of players coming in. I'm pretty sure the whole reason Staal gets his play time is because he is a veteran who has been through the ringer with this organization and can help with some of the kids. And if that's all his role is, I'm fine with that.

Finally someone who gets it. And here's my take, based on a few things I've picked up.

Sometimes a player is worth more to the team than he is in a trade. And it doesn't look like they'll trade Zucc just to pile up more picks or prospects. They already have a ton of promising young guys in the minors, there's a reason why they used their 2nd to pick a goalie.

It's true what Fataldogg says, Zucc generates a lot of income for the Rangers, he's still very popular among fans and sponsors. The Rangers fear a public relations disaster if they trade him, when he's playing well and has made it clear he wants to stay here. Yes it sounds special, but he's much more to this organization than just a player.

But the most important reason to keep him is he's our most experienced forward, including 60 playoff games. Shows no sign of declining, work ethic still on top. Younger players learn by watching him play. Very important in the locker room with his humor and leadership. Hank and others would really miss him in there, so much that it could have a negative impact on their play without him.

Taking all this into account, it would be a really dumb move to trade Zucc...wouldn't it.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
This is ridiculous. They aren't re-signing him because of merchandising.

Coming this Christmas, the Zucc talking doll! lol. I don't know where you guys come up with this stuff.

They'll make 5 times as much in jersey sales if we draft Hughes.

We aren't drafting Hughes. People need to get past this. In what world do people see us bad enough to draft him with Lundqvist?

Rangers will likely finish somewhere between 22nd and 25th in the NHL again and have an extremely small chance to draft a him. Hughes also isnt a McDavid, Crosby, Dahlin level prospect.

Rangers will likely draft 6th to 9th this year.

We have a far better chance to sign Panarin than drafting Hughes. And fans on here also act as if it is a foregone conclusion that Panarin will sign with the Rangers [and it's far from that].

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One thing we do have to keep in mind is the length of the season. How this team performs when we get into the dog days of January and February could be death by paper cut. And that’s before the inevitable TDL moves.

I predict the Rangers, without any lottery movements, will pick 4th or 5th.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
We aren't drafting Hughes. People need to get past this. In what world do people see us bad enough to draft him with Lundqvist?

Rangers will likely finish somewhere between 22nd and 25th in the NHL again and have an extremely small chance to draft a him. Hughes also isnt a McDavid, Crosby, Dahlin level prospect.

Rangers will likely draft 6th to 9th this year.

We have a far better chance to sign Panarin than drafting Hughes. And fans on here also act as if it is a foregone conclusion that Panarin will sign with the Rangers [and it's far from that].

In all fairness, if this scenario happens, you could make a ton of money shorting the Rangers winning the cup.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Still not sure what any of this has to do with Quinn
Allow for me to remind you. This started as a referendum on Quinn. I have stated possible reasoning for what he has done and you have stated that is not him. I then pointed out to you the fallacy of the statement, to which you came back with "what does this have to do with Quinn".

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
The team looks “good” because the players are playing for their coach. Quinn has done a very nice job keeping the players accountable and engaged, kudos to him.

The NHL, moreso than any professional league, has parity. Any team can win on any given night, no matter the circumstances.

We are not a good team though. Our defenders are about as bad as it gets.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

No they don’t.

Zucc doesn’t make them as much money as you think he does.

Case in point: Hank is their top jersey seller. He is the face of the franchise and the backbone of this team. If he didn’t have a no trade/wanted out, he’d be gone.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Zuccarello isn't going to get traded and there is no reason to trade him.
How about this for a reason? This team is going nowhere with him or without him. His presence makes no difference whatsoever. This is s rebuilding team whose #1 priority should be gathering as many assets as possible. Zucc represents a very tradeable piece. One that can assist with this priority.
He sells a lot of merchandise. He is legitimately one of the most popular players in the NHL. Since hockey is a business, I can't see them moving an asset bringing in that much in merchandise sales (given that Zuccarello and Lundqvist are popular players in the NHL, there isn't a whole lot going on for this team right now, they won't be seeing playoff revenue for a while).
Wait. He should not be traded because people buy his jersey? The business that is the NY Rangers will carry on just fine without him.
For the future of the team, moving him probably does make sense. From a lets make $$$ standpoint, it just doesn't.
Pretty sure that to management, it is ALL about the future and not so much on how much profit they can loose if people no longer buy his jersey.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
How about this for a reason? This team is going nowhere with him or without him. His presence makes no difference whatsoever. This is s rebuilding team whose #1 priority should be gathering as many assets as possible. Zucc represents a very tradeable piece. One that can assist with this priority.

Wait. He should not be traded because people buy his jersey? The business that is the NY Rangers will carry on just fine without him.

Pretty sure that to management, it is ALL about the future and not so much on how much profit they can loose if people no longer buy his jersey.
It’s almost as if some have forgotten that if Yzerman didn’t drag out the McDonagh trade deal, Zucc would’ve been gone in February. I love Zucc, but it’s already out there in the hockey world that he and Hayes are being traded this year.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Meh, this isn't 2003. The jerseys sales thing is way overstated. It's a licensing fee they negotiate that matters more than one guy selling jerseys. The Rangers won't struggle to sell jerseys without Zucc.

Sports teams make plenty of money from tv deals, video games licensing, corporate partnerships, and greasing politicians for tax breaks. They'll be ok without Zucc.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sometimes a player is worth more to the team than he is in a trade. And it doesn't look like they'll trade Zucc just to pile up more picks or prospects. They already have a ton of promising young guys in the minors, there's a reason why they used their 2nd to pick a goalie.
Who is this "ton"? And what does it not look like they will trade him? Only because they have not already?
It's true what Fataldogg says, Zucc generates a lot of income for the Rangers, he's still very popular among fans and sponsors. The Rangers fear a public relations disaster if they trade him, when he's playing well and has made it clear he wants to stay here. Yes it sounds special, but he's much more to this organization than just a player.
Zucc has been a nice player for this organization. But you are making him out to be Eddie Giacomin or Brian Leetch here. He can be traded with zero risk of some sort of public relations disaster.
But the most important reason to keep him is he's our most experienced forward, including 60 playoff games. Shows no sign of declining, work ethic still on top. Younger players learn by watching him play. Very important in the locker room with his humor and leadership. Hank and others would really miss him in there, so much that it could have a negative impact on their play without him.
Young players can also look at at the preparation of a Lundqvist for extra motivation. Or the way that Fast approaches each shift.
Taking all this into account, it would be a really dumb move to trade Zucc...wouldn't it.
It would be the most prudent and intelligent thing this franchise could and should do.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00