FF% 47.43% (26th in NHL)
SCA 313 (25th in NHL)
HDCA 138 (27th in NHL)

17-18

CF% 45.92% (31st in NHL)
FF% 46.07% (31st in NHL)
SCA 1,991 (30th in NHL)
HDCA 845 (30th in NHL)

While there is an improvement defensively, slight improvement, this team is still bad defensively. The reason the team is 6-7-1 is because Lundqvist has played extremely well to start the season.

I will give Quinn credit in that he has this group trying harder than they did last year (as can be seen mildly in advanced statistics). BUT, they're clearly a bad team.

I will openly say I do not like him as a coach for how he manages the roster. I know there are MANY Quinn advocates on here who have already dismissed what I said, and I'm fine with that. I've never been in the crowd that "effort" wins games. Effort/talent wins games, and we have lost many games this season outworking the other team only to not get on the scoreboard. Quinn hasn't found that balance yet, and he will bench players who he deems not putting in the "effort" or being physical enough. And for a team that cannot score goals, it's not a practical approach in my opinion. This isn't a team like the Jets where they can afford to send Laine down to the 4th line to send a message. We don't have the talent to do that.

I also don't see him on the same page as Gorton, which is a problem.

If Lundqvist/Georgiev were average in each of their starts, this team might have 3-wins right now (I know, goaltending is part of the team). I get that they're not supposed to be a good team, and that they're rebuilding, but I cannot get behind his decisions.

Also, can they send Chytil down? It was to my understanding after he played 9 or 10 games (can't remember the number) that they would not be able to send him down without losing him for the season... can someone verify that or correct me on that?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oy, vey. Ok. I'll bite. What would a "real" coach do? Oh, wait. I know. A real coach would have benched Staal immediately. But you know, reality is different here, so there is no way that a move like that would have had repercussions in the locker room. What else? Oh, wait. I know. There would simply not be any accountability and players like ADA or Buch would have never been scratched. But you know, reality is different here so I am sure that there would be absolutely no feelings of entitlement or the need to work hard and do what your coach demands in order to be in the line up. What else? Oh, wait. I know. The starting line up would be entirely dictated by Corsi and /60.
Everything you're saying here is the opposite of David Quinn, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Reactions: Fataldogg

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think, at best, this would've been exactly what Gorton talked about last season --- the dreaded middle.

McD would still be forced to be a first pairing defenseman, Howden isn't here, and I'm not sure the old guard buys into the system as easily.

Miller and Lundkvist aren't in the system and depending on how far back we want to go, we can also scratch Andersson and ADA.

I think you're talking about a whole different set of problems, with very little in the way of the future at this moment.

So yeah, maybe we're a bubble playoff team this season. And then what?

By now, yes, the roster would have run its course anyway.

We had a couple of seasons where we could have been a lot better than the middle.

It speaks volumes that Quinn is getting slightly better results out of this roster than AV got coming off of a Presidents Trophy.

Maybe we should have torn it down three years ago, but if you're going to go for it, go for it.

Instead, we spent a couple of years in the dreaded middle with a good roster and a coach who had lost his mind.

2016 and 2017 were such a waste. They set themselves back for what they're trying to do now and they never had a real chance at it.

I'm glad they're not on the bubble anymore but they put themselves in that position tethering the roster to AV.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Also, can they send Chytil down? It was to my understanding after he played 9 or 10 games (can't remember the number) that they would not be able to send him down without losing him for the season... can someone verify that or correct me on that?

They can absolutely send him down. There are no restrictions on that. He isn't subject to waivers.

The 9 game thing only applies to whether or not his ELC slides. Since he has played more than 9 games, his ELC counts for this year, but that has no bearing on whether or not he can be sent down.

The only situation where sending a player down means you lose them for the rest of the season (excluding waiver claims, of course) are players that are sent back to juniors.

Reactions: Fataldogg

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Yeah people taking issue with not sending Chytil down is silly to me. Either he stays in the NHL whole year or goes down to AHL, proves he’s too good for that league (which I think he already has), comes back up at some point and plays more than 9 games anyway. Keep him up and let him develop the other areas of his game, he’s an incredibly smart player, you don’t lose that based on usage.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah people taking issue with not sending Chytil down is silly to me. Either he stays in the NHL whole year or goes down to AHL, proves he’s too good for that league (which I think he already has), comes back up at some point and plays more than 9 games anyway. Keep him up and let him develop the other areas of his game, he’s an incredibly smart player, you don’t lose that based on usage.
Chytil had 31 points in 46 AHL games. That's very far from proving you're too good for the league.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I thought the whole topic was an irony and not too serious! :) We have not been a gr8 team except one game when we actually played better than the Sharks, but they struggle with their own issues and signing of Erik K. did not help them much. Alright fine we won 3 games two in OT, Anaheim also struggle recently not only against us Rangers, and Henrik stole this game from Buffalo - an elite goalie like Henrik do that once in a while. And just look at the MTL and Price now - they are playing like a playoffs team, but most had them in the far end bottom of the table before this season started.
Canucks with 18 pts 1 pts. who are 2nd place in their division who was also projected just above us far below on the table by many!

Although those who have surprised me positive so far.

-Henrik
-Howden
-Mika
- Kreider
- Zucc
- DeAngelo
- Pionk

And if you look at New York Rangers stats - we get contribution almost everwhere in the lineup which is positive for coach Quinn, and if Brady Skjei, Chytil, Nam, and Hayes can get their games going - I`ve no idea where we might end up in late April 2019 maybe playoffs? Well so hard to predict - I`m excited too, because I want to win, but like to pick early too in 2019 summer draft. :D

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Chytil had 31 points in 46 AHL games. That's very far from proving you're too good for the league.

Chytil should be in the AHL. Regarding the way he's being handled, it sure seems like Quinn feels the same way. Something a little strange is going on with management here. Not sure why he's being forced to stay up, especially with Howden's emergence and a logjam at center with Hayes/Z.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Chytil should be in the AHL. Regarding the way he's being handled, it sure seems like Quinn feels the same way. Something a little strange is going on with management here. Not sure why he's being forced to stay up, especially with Howden's emergence and a logjam at center with Hayes/Z.

It’s almost like the staff feels C would benefit more from practicing with the big club and getting limited ice time than he would by playing big minutes in the A.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe Kevin S. can be a lot better too and expect him to start getting points from our blueline maybe it start on tuesday when we need him. B. Smith looks much better this year, and our signing of Adam McQuaid has been solid defensive for us.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
By now, yes, the roster would have run its course anyway.

We had a couple of seasons where we could have been a lot better than the middle.

It speaks volumes that Quinn is getting slightly better results out of this roster than AV got coming off of a Presidents Trophy.

Maybe we should have torn it down three years ago, but if you're going to go for it, go for it.

Instead, we spent a couple of years in the dreaded middle with a good roster and a coach who had lost his mind.

2016 and 2017 were such a waste. They set themselves back for what they're trying to do now and they never had a real chance at it.

I'm glad they're not on the bubble anymore but they put themselves in that position tethering the roster to AV.

I kind of get is though.

This was, with the exception of a cup, one of the most successful periods in Rangers' history. Additionally, when you look at the roster on paper, it's not hard to convince yourself that maybe you can mount one more run.

But when we talk about results, I also think some of that is owed to the culture shift we've created. Yes, a big part of it is the coach, but I think a lot of is handing the team over to different players as well and I think that will continue.

I think Howden is a part of that, I think ADA is making himself a part of that. I think Andersson, Chytil, Miller and others have a shot to be a part of that. But I can't help but feel that doesn't happen with Nash, McD and JT Miller on the roster.

Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just think we arrived at a point where it was a new chapter.

Reactions: NY Lito

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I do not necessarily disagree. I think that I would wait to see if he can adapt to the role. However, if it is apparent that he is not and the best value is to trade him now, then go ahead and pull the trigger.

I think you're going to start seeing more serious conversations taking place in the next 6 weeks or so. Not to say that a deal will be made, but I think we'll get an understanding of what the market might look like.

As much as the Rangers would probably prefer prospects, I think picks will likely continue to be the primary currency when it comes to Hayes and Zucc.

Reactions: Ori

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While there is an improvement defensively, slight improvement, this team is still bad defensively. The reason the team is 6-7-1 is because Lundqvist has played extremely well to start the season.
This team has been exactly what they have been in years past solely because of Henke's play. In the past, they got much further than they should have solely because of his play. Now, they do not appear to be as bad as they are because of his play.
I will give Quinn credit in that he has this group trying harder than they did last year (as can be seen mildly in advanced statistics). BUT, they're clearly a bad team.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with him.
I will openly say I do not like him as a coach for how he manages the roster. I know there are MANY Quinn advocates on here who have already dismissed what I said, and I'm fine with that. I've never been in the crowd that "effort" wins games. Effort/talent wins games, and we have lost many games this season outworking the other team only to not get on the scoreboard. Quinn hasn't found that balance yet, and he will bench players who he deems not putting in the "effort" or being physical enough. And for a team that cannot score goals, it's not a practical approach in my opinion. This isn't a team like the Jets where they can afford to send Laine down to the 4th line to send a message. We don't have the talent to do that.
The benchings were not due to someone not being physical enough. The benchings were due to the the players not doing what was demanded of them. Where is the problem? That is what accountability is. What are you proposing? That lazy play be rewarded with top ice time if you are a "skill" player?
I also don't see him on the same page as Gorton, which is a problem.
To what do you point as evidence for this?
If Lundqvist/Georgiev were average in each of their starts, this team might have 3-wins right now (I know, goaltending is part of the team). I get that they're not supposed to be a good team, and that they're rebuilding, but I cannot get behind his decisions.
It sounds like your main problem with him is him holding players accountable. It sounds like you believe that players with skill should get special privileges and their ice time in more of an entitlement than an earning.
He can be sent down. The 9 games at the NHL level is what burns a year off eligibility

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Staal got benched? When was this?
Who said anything about Staal getting benched? I laid out multiple times that a rookie coach is not going to embarrass the team's well-respected elder statesman at the beginning of the season. He would not cause locker room issues that way and wisely so.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Who said anything about Staal getting benched? I laid out multiple times that a rookie coach is not going to embarrass the team's well-respected elder statesman at the beginning of the season. He would not cause locker room issues that way and wisely so.
You did.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
More likely than ever that both Zucc and Hayes will get an extension. Trade is the last option.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
More likely than ever that both Zucc and Hayes will get an extension. Trade is the last option.

What?

The organization would be best served getting rid of them and any other veteran who may contribute to a few extra points in the standings but does not have a long-term place on this team ASAP. An argument can be made for Hayes, who has turned himself into a pretty good two-way center (but will be overpaid). Zuccarello is basically gone already.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00