Post-Game Talk: This game is on Mrazek

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Honestly we looked better tonight than we have for a while. Got a lot of shots and a lot of chances. I think (hope) eventually those chances start going in. I don't think Datsyuk misses that 9/10 times. It was an open freaking net.

I also liked our defense for the most part other than the second goal where they were allowed to just skate right in. Smith looked good.

Actual Thought*

Funny. During tonight's game I was thinking anybody who doesnt appreciate Richards is spends too much time stat watching.

I disagree with you significantly. Richards is one of our most skilled and smartest players. He reads the play significantly better than at least half our roster. There is a number of guys on my hit list ahead of him including (Jurco Pulkinnen, Sheahan, etc. Possibly nyquist given his recent slump)

Couldn't agree more. Guy has a stellar hockey IQ.

Actual Thought*

Honestly we looked better tonight than we have for a while. Got a lot of shots and a lot of chances. I think (hope) eventually those chances start going in. I don't think Datsyuk misses that 9/10 times. It was an open freaking net.

I also liked our defense for the most part other than the second goal where they were allowed to just skate right in. Smith looked good.
I wouldn't say that had a lot of quality chances. You are right Dats doesn't miss that most times but really they never threatened much outside of that chance.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
jurco and Pulu should be send to GR for conditioning
Pulkkinen is like the perfect example of what's wrong with this team. Small, soft, kinda slow and weak on the puck, shoots from bad angles hoping for a fluke goal.

I want Mantha on this team. I want Athanasiou. I would give Nosek another opportunity instead of playing Andersson. I'd do something crazy and try Ryan Sproul for a few games and sit Smith.

This team needs to get a little bit bigger, a bit faster, and get some guys in the lineup that are playing at 110%. Feels like most of the team is coasting. They start playing a little bit better anytime there's a threat of us falling out of the playoffs, but as soon as we're on solid ground they stop skating. There's no hunger.

Actual Thought*

Pulkkinen is like the perfect example of what's wrong with this team. Small, soft, kinda slow and weak on the puck, shoots from bad angles hoping for a fluke goal.

I want Mantha on this team. I want Athanasiou. I would give Nosek another opportunity instead of playing Andersson. I'd do something crazy and try Ryan Sproul for a few games and sit Smith.

This team needs to get a little bit bigger, a bit faster, and get some guys in the lineup that are playing at 110%. Feels like most of the team is coasting. They start playing a little bit better anytime there's a threat of us falling out of the playoffs, but as soon as we're on solid ground they stop skating. There's no hunger.

This is what it looks like when you play the game instead of working the game. It isn't hunger they need. It is discipline.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I wouldn't say that had a lot of quality chances. You are right Dats doesn't miss that most times but really they never threatened much outside of that chance.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/

Watch all the "save" videos by Elliot. There are some good ones.

The first one where Z has it inside the dots and shoots it with no one in the lane.
10:10 in the 2nd
13:15 in the 2nd
5:22 in the 3rd
18:15 in the 3rd

Wings need to drive the nets more

They've got people at the net but no one is "driving" it. They just park themselves there and wait. We're not even really cycling. Every line has at least one player just perpetually parked in front of the net, never moving. And all those juicy rebounds never get picked up by us because no one is driving it and we're all just standing around in front. Way easier to get to the loose puck if you're not starting from a stand still.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Few people here hate on Smith more than I do; however, he played great tonight. The diving play to break up the Blues attack impressed me.
I wish he was that good consistently.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'm honestly shocked that after Kronwall goes down DeKeyser didn't break 20 mins. It looks like most of those minutes went to Green and he hasn't been playing well at all these last few games. I know we were chasing for most of the game, but still.

Actual Thought*

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/

Watch all the "save" videos by Elliot. There are some good ones.

The first one where Z has it inside the dots and shoots it with no one in the lane.
10:10 in the 2nd
13:15 in the 2nd
5:22 in the 3rd
18:15 in the 3rd

They've got people at the net but no one is "driving" it. They just park themselves there and wait. We're not even really cycling. Every line has at least one player just perpetually parked in front of the net, never moving. And all those juicy rebounds never get picked up by us because no one is driving it and we're all just standing around in front. Way easier to get to the loose puck if you're not starting from a stand still.
Sure they had a few dangerous chances. I would say 3 of the 4 you posted. Obviously not enough and there is a complete absence of second chances. That has been a symptom all season long. One and done. They rarely score dirty goals. I am pretty sure we won't agree on the reason but surely we can agree on the symptom?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
On a one year deal. Flat out excellent signing.

Well I've seen enough. Thank god it's only a year. do i expect him to score 25+ goals? no But 4? He ain't even on pace for 15. Also he's not even on pace for 30 points. Something that doesn't seem to hard for him to do I would think. Legwand seems better at this point when we had him.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Pulkkinen was okay in this game. He battles really hard, that was surprise for me. If you ladies and gentlemans doesnt see any use to him, ship him to Pittsburgh. :nod:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Few people here hate on Smith more than I do; however, he played great tonight. The diving play to break up the Blues attack impressed me.
I wish he was that good consistently.

Exactly. it's his inconsistency that drives me crazy. He's got the goods but can never deliver every game.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
The problem is the Wings passing is not good enough to set up a pure sniper.
Also 2nd goal green was just abused on that play.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
This is seriously the biggest Piss party I've ever seen. They lost 2-1. Against easily a top ten team in the league. Of course they need to be better, but they had their chances. They need to finish to get some confidence going.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'm just happy we don't have to wait like 2 days anymore until the season is over for the worse or better

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
This is seriously the biggest Piss party I've ever seen. They lost 2-1. Against easily a top ten team in the league. Of course they need to be better, but they had their chances. They need to finish to get some confidence going.

Losses hurt, ok? :laugh: The Wings just got dominated by my assessment. St.Louis broke up so many plays, stifled us, controlled the puck all over winning a majority of the battles. Blues are on a roll give them credit. When we lose I can't help compare some of their guys that got it going right now- Steen, Stastny, Yuskin, Pietrangelo, etc., on and on, with some of our players. The Wings have to get stronger. How can you watch that game and not see the Red Wings just got there ass handed to them?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I'm honestly shocked that after Kronwall goes down DeKeyser didn't break 20 mins. It looks like most of those minutes went to Green and he hasn't been playing well at all these last few games. I know we were chasing for most of the game, but still.

It almost looks like you're suggesting Dekeyser is better than Green...

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

This isn't a one game thing, the wings offense has been an issue all year.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Watched the 1st and 2nd periods. The game was a track meet, going back and forth and back and forth. Richards had a pretty good game, as did Mrazek, as always.

The Blues were slacking a little bit, we didn't see the best team they could be, that's what's scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad