This Canuck version is boring as hell

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
A win is a win and that is all that matters in the big picture but I do agree with the OP. These Canucks have been playing painfully dull hockey for over a calender year now. I have missed multiple games this season and haven't regretted it one bit.

I don't understand why some of you get so bent out of shape when others criticize the Canucks or tell it like it is. Some of you need to take those Canuck goggles off and stop being sheep. It is perfectly fine to critique your fav team. It doesn't mean you're not a fan or any less of one. I would rather have a convo with a person who tells it like it is over a person who drinks the liquid GMMG gives you. Stop choking it down and start asking why it tastes funny.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Meh. I don't share the pessimism. Canucks have been getting their defensive game back in shape. They've had their lapses, but they've been very stingy during this stretch. Obviously they need to get their special teams and offensive game back on the rails at some point, but if the defensive fundamentals aren't sound you can have all the flash and dash in the world and you'll get murdered in the playoffs.

I feel better about the team right now than I did earlier in the season when they were scoring but it was a clown show in the defensive zone.

Yeah, those are my feelings as well. Really liking how the team is playing defensively lately and if they get that game together- it's one of our great strengths as a team and if working will give us a chance to be a contender.

Lundface*

Only concern I have is if they change their style when kesler returns
Having him at center playing this low risk game will make Vancouver a tough team to beat. This team has beefed up and the backend lacks the mobility to be constantly gambling and joining the rush. Combine the Sedins more all around effort with a hopefully revived pp and kesler going back to playing solid two way hockey instead of trying so hard to manufacture offence, the team won't be that easy to beat

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
They're winning games with a depleted lineup in a condensed schedule. The refs are letting so much obstruction go that actually makes a lot of sense to play this way. Just enjoy the amazing goaltending and be glad that it looks like we are going to get into the playoffs.

mavstar

No expectations
Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
I agree completely. I have NHL Gamecentre, so I have access to every game, but I've barely watched any Canucks games over the past month. The games are so ****ing boring and so are the matchups. This season has been brutal.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Better to be winning 1-0, 2-1 than to be losing 6-4 or something. I said when they were losing back a couple weeks ago, with the injuries happening and all, it's time to take it back to 2007, to when AV first got here, the team defence, the good goaltending, that's where we're at now. It's not boring, it's solid, good fundamentally sound hockey and I have no problem watching it. We lock it down and beat teams we should be beating, I have no problem with that. The defence is night and day to where it was a month ago. You ask me, it's a thing of beauty.

I'd rather be in those exhilarating 6-4 games because every once in a while, you win those. Go watch Montreal vs. Boston the other night and tell me that was not incredibly exciting. I was on the edge of my seat, knowing the Habs could rally - they're a bloody cockroach that refuses to die. When was the last time the Nucks were that? Ironically, against Boston a year ago.

I keep going back to Nuck games out of loyalty but when I see highlights from say, Pittsburgh, Chicago, even New York and Philly despite their woes. It's somewhat depressing I missed better games this year. That said, I do give the team something of a reprieve considering Kesler's out but still.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
you would rather miss the playoffs because a few games havnt had a ton of excitment, even though they won?

you sound more geared towards wwf pro wrestling or something with that type of entertainment value.

:laugh:

I like the UFC and the NFL right now, they pay attention to fans and try to give them what they want. The only people happy with the NHL product right now just don't know any better.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
you would rather miss the playoffs because a few games havnt had a ton of excitment, even though they won?

you sound more geared towards wwf pro wrestling or something with that type of entertainment value.

If by playoffs you mean like the LA series, yes. Teams playing as inconsistent as we have generally do not go anywhere fast. Regardless, like Scurr, I watch the NHL to be entertained. You know why Pittsburgh/Philly was among the most watched first round series in ages? Because it was bloody entertaining.

And what does WWE have to do with anything? If I'm going to spend 3-7 hours doing something. Is it too much to ask it be worth watching? The Canucks are still fun enough to watch, but to say they haven't been boring for some time now is disingenuous.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I'm not really expecting much excitement with this line-up (Sedins/Burr aside). Even with Kesler back, the second line still looks iffy, and Booth probably won't be back. *IF* Gillis can get an impact player at the deadline then that, + Kesler returning, will be a huge boost.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
no kesler and no malholtra tend to be reason why........Kesler coming back plus a reliable third line center would do wonders.......AV can't roll four lines

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'm not really expecting much excitement with this line-up (Sedins/Burr aside). Even with Kesler back, the second line still looks iffy, and Booth probably won't be back. *IF* Gillis can get an impact player at the deadline then that, + Kesler returning, will be a huge boost.

Thing is we have the talent to put on a show. Toronto manages to make their game exhilarating with huge rallies, despite having an inferior roster even with us lacking Kesler. AV is simply too conservative and defensive oriented - to the point of fault. We may be on a six game winning streak but compare it to Pittsburgh, Montreal or Chicago's and it's nothing to right home about. I could care less theirs lasted long, but what bothers me is how much more entertaining it was.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Thing is we have the talent to put on a show. Toronto manages to make their game exhilarating with huge rallies, despite having an inferior roster even with us lacking Kesler. AV is simply too conservative and defensive oriented - to the point of fault. We may be on a six game winning streak but compare it to Pittsburgh, Montreal or Chicago's and it's nothing to right home about. I could care less theirs lasted long, but what bothers me is how much more entertaining it was.

Okay, fair enough. I don't get to see many Eastern games.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012

seems to be one or the other with AV recently

either good offense + defensive breakdowns or zero offense + stingy defence

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
no kesler and no malholtra tend to be reason why........Kesler coming back plus a reliable third line center would do wonders.......AV can't roll four lines

Then he should stop trying.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian

Roll the first two almost exclusively, double shift Higgins when necessary and give him some powerplay time - he'd cover Kesler's role better than Burrows. Point is, stop trying to do what we can't. The fourth line should be an energy line and little else. On second thought, maybe rotate in the third more but either way, stop relying on journey men to get stuff done.

H. Sedin: 17:15
D. Sedin: 17:08
Burrows: 16:19

Lupul: 21:51
Bozak: 21:43
Kessel: 19:53

Shocking why Toronto is outscoring us. And then we have, Ebbett: 17:15

:facepalm:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Okay, fair enough. I don't get to see many Eastern games.

Watch the Habs, Pens or even Leafs for a couple games, the Habs in particular love to randomly decide to "honey badger" a game and win just cause. Twice now Boston has all but buried them and out of nowhere they rally, go to OT/shootout and win. The biggest thing is they play to win even when down.

After a couple of games from those three. It really emphasizes the Canucks problems, at least from an entertainment perspective. If nothing else, I wager you'll enjoy it more. :laugh:

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
We're on a 6 game winning streak and are only having to play our top line for 17 minutes a night?

That's friggin' awesome! :yo:

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
It's obvious why the Sedins aren't getting big time on ice. With all these players out AV is trying to win games without grinding our guys into the dust. It follows that if he's going to try to roll four lines with the lineup we've got, the game has got to be more about defense.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
It's obvious why the Sedins aren't getting big time on ice. With all these players out AV is trying to win games without grinding our guys into the dust. It follows that if he's going to try to roll four lines with the lineup we've got, the game has got to be more about defense.

well defense wins championship.......and AV is very good at this....it boring but until we get another center AV don't have a choice really

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
well defense wins championship.......and AV is very good at this....it boring but until we get another center AV don't have a choice really

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

I think the Canucks work best when they play a solid two-way game. Our glory games are when the offense supports the D, and the D makes the quick outlets. But I seriously don't know how to play that sort of game without a strong, fast, hard-playing two-way center. That's obviously Kesler. He's not our best offense, but he's the guy that pins our two-way game.

With Kesler out it's simply impossible to do that sort of game. A.E. and J.S. cannot replace Kesler in that sort of game.

We've seen Kesler all of one game this year when he was healthy, and I really liked what I saw. I have no problems imagining our game getting a lot smoother and a lot more offensive when he's back in.

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

I think the Canucks work best when they play a solid two-way game. Our glory games are when the offense supports the D, and the D makes the quick outlets. But I seriously don't know how to play that sort of game without a strong, fast, hard-playing two-way center. That's obviously Kesler. He's not our best offense, but he's the guy that pins our two-way game.

With Kesler out it's simply impossible to do that sort of game. A.E. and J.S. cannot replace Kesler in that sort of game.

We've seen Kesler all of one game this year when he was healthy, and I really liked what I saw. I have no problems imagining our game getting a lot smoother and a lot more offensive when he's back in.

I don't agree 100% with that sentiment, probably because once Kesler returns, AV will have free reign to mix up the lines and reduce overall team chemistry and effectiveness, although I wouldn't mind too much.

For instance, the "speed line" of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen was absolutely dominated in last night's game against a weak Colorado squad. They had terrible possession/Fenwick/Corsi numbers and looked ineffective overall. Therefore, I wouldn't mind seeing at least some shake-up in the lines once Kesler slots back in.

Also: Kesler's presence on the PP, even in the limited minutes/games he was on it when healthy this year, was a lot more dangerous than it has been this entire season without him. Subjective, I guess, but it seemed much more potent and shot-happy.

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
I don't agree 100% with that sentiment, probably because once Kesler returns, AV will have free reign to mix up the lines and reduce overall team chemistry and effectiveness, although I wouldn't mind too much.

For instance, the "speed line" of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen was absolutely dominated in last night's game against a weak Colorado squad. They had terrible possession/Fenwick/Corsi numbers and looked ineffective overall. Therefore, I wouldn't mind seeing at least some shake-up in the lines once Kesler slots back in.

Also: Kesler's presence on the PP, even in the limited minutes/games he was on it when healthy this year, was a lot more dangerous than it has been this entire season without him. Subjective, I guess, but it seemed much more potent and shot-happy.

I don't want to throw the speed line away just yet. It was a weak game, but they also had some really strong games against better clubs. This ****... happens. No one dominates game in and out, and sometimes a line really does suck. But I think that line has promise, especially as JS comes into his own.

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
I don't want to throw the speed line away just yet. It was a weak game, but they also had some really strong games against better clubs. This ****... happens. No one dominates game in and out, and sometimes a line really does suck. But I think that line has promise, especially as JS comes into his own.

But of course, I want that line to succeed and be kept together too. Yet, we all know what happens when some lines aren't meeting expectations, even unfairly so... AV always mixes things up, for better or for worse.

Raymond and Hansen are some of our highest-scoring forwards, and it would be foolish to preemptively disassemble that line-up against a meaningless game against a bottom-feeder in the league.

I just don't want to see Raymond/Hansen to be drifting in and out of the play, because they need to use their aggressive forecheck and speed/tenacity to get to the puck, instead of rovering around. I saw a few occurrences last night where they stopped working hard. They need their workhorse-ethic to keep up, because that's the only way they're going to combat the size of other teams like LA and St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad