Thirty Years Ago Today

Mike Mills

Apr 27, 2019
81FEENxoVzL._SX355_.jpg

Greatest album ever.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I still remember my friend Rodney playing me this album in his basement in Hamilton, Ontario

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Thirty years ago today, the second best album from Manchester in 1989 was released.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a pretty good, solid, easy-listening, and accessible gateway album that hasn't quite held up as anything close to a "great" to my ears over time. The UK version is superior to the US version (I Am the Resurrection is a perfect closer, but they just distastefully tack on Fool's Gold to the end, which doesn't fit the mood of the album at all in the first place), and the second half is stronger than the first half. A decent chunk of the songs (like She Bangs the Drums, Don't Stop, Elizabeth My Dear, etc.) are pleasant but kind of just repetitive and forgettable in hindsight.

Always got a kick out of how I Am the Resurrection seems to end and climax like six times before it's actually over-- that part's a lot of fun, as are Made of Stone and This is the One.

Last edited:

Mike Mills

Apr 27, 2019
The US release is better because it has the three minute version of Elephant Stone, their best ever song, while the UK one doesn’t. Obviously I Am the Resurrection is a far better album closer than Fool’s Gold, but it’s worth it to have the proper third track.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
It’s a good album. It’s too bad “Don’t Stop” is a waste of time and kills the album with a lame attempt at experimentation. Also could live without “This Is the One”, though it’s not a bad song.

Solid 8/10.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The US release is better because it has the three minute version of Elephant Stone, their best ever song, while the UK one doesn’t. Obviously I Am the Resurrection is a far better album closer than Fool’s Gold, but it’s worth it to have the proper third track.
I don't think it's worth the sacrifice personally. Cohesiveness and consistency of the album experience is more important than quantity of hits, IMO. The US version of Are You Experienced (which has bigger hits and arguably stronger individual songs like Hey Joe and The Wind Cries Mary) suffers from the same thing, and I'd take the UK version in that case as well-- Feels more tight and authentic and less like a greatest hits compilation (which I would argue tacking on Elephant Stone and Fools Gold does to The Stone Roses album as well). Might be an unpopular opinion.

It's a good album, one of the better ones from that era, and I might have agreed with you at one point in the past, but in my mind, for it to be raised on a pedestal and considered one of the greatest albums of all time, I would expect a song like "Made of Stone" to be closer to the baseline/floor than the ceiling of the album, which isn't really the case.

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't think it's worth the sacrifice personally. Cohesiveness and consistency of the album experience is more important than quantity of hits, IMO. The US version of Are You Experienced (which has bigger hits and arguably stronger individual songs like Hey Joe and The Wind Cries Mary) suffers from the same thing, and I'd take the UK version in that case as well-- Feels more tight and authentic and less like a greatest hits compilation (which I would argue tacking on Elephant Stone and Fools Gold does to The Stone Roses album as well). Might be an unpopular opinion.

It's a good album, one of the better ones from that era, and I might have agreed with you at one point in the past, but in my mind, for it to be raised on a pedestal and considered one of the greatest albums of all time, I would expect a song like "Made of Stone" to be closer to the baseline/floor than the ceiling of the album, which isn't really the case.

Elephant Stone doesn’t disrupt the consistency in any way. I guess if you grew up hearing the UK version it might be weird but if not, it doesn’t stick out in any way. There’s no way anyone would be able to tell.

As far as Fool’s Gold, it doesn’t matter. I know it’s not part of the proper album and it’s at the end. It would ruin the consistency but I can just stop the album if I want.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Excellent album. "She Bangs The Drums", "Waterfall" and "Made of Stone" are my current favorites from this one. Of course "I Am The Resurrection" and "I Wanna Be Adored" are great as well.

Curious how it stands up to Oasis over in England, especially in Manchester. I think it blows anything they did away.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Definitely superior to Oasis in every way, IMO.
Elephant Stone doesn’t disrupt the consistency in any way. I guess if you grew up hearing the UK version it might be weird but if not, it doesn’t stick out in any way. There’s no way anyone would be able to tell.

As far as Fool’s Gold, it doesn’t matter. I know it’s not part of the proper album and it’s at the end. It would ruin the consistency but I can just stop the album if I want.
I didn't grow up hearing the UK version. I think Elephant Stone can arguably borderline pass (although I still notice a hint of an out of place single-y feel to it), but I actively dislike the fact that Fool's Gold is tacked onto it. It does matter because if you're listening to the album, you're always going to let it run its course rather than wait for the right moment to stop it manually simply because something at the end doesn't fit-- that's no justification, IMO. In fact, I don't think that rationale is far from saying that any weak-point on an album has no effect simply because you have the ability to skip tracks.

I have the same issue with bonus tracks being tacked onto the end of any album in general. It's meant to be added value, but it has the opposite effect and kind of compromises any album, IMO. Either put the bonus stuff on another disc or don't include it at all.

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Definitely superior to Oasis in every way, IMO.
I didn't grow up hearing the UK version. I think Elephant Stone can arguably borderline pass (although I still notice a hint of an out of place single-y feel to it), but I actively dislike the fact that Fool's Gold is tacked onto it. It does matter because if you're listening to the album, you're always going to let it run its course rather than wait for the right moment to stop it manually simply because something at the end doesn't fit-- that's no justification, IMO. In fact, I don't think that rationale is far from saying that any weak-point on an album has no effect simply because you have the ability to skip tracks.

I have the same issue with bonus tracks being tacked onto the end of any album in general. It's meant to be added value, but it has the opposite effect and kind of compromises any album, IMO. Either put the bonus stuff on another disc or don't include it at all.

I do agree about bonus tracks in general. They should be on a separate disc. But since it’s just one song in this case, it’s just easier to put it at the end. They were a band that didn’t have much material as it was. If I listen to it on cd, I just consider I Am the Resurrection to be the last song. I don’t using streaming services much so I don’t know if that makes it better or worse.

Some of the Fall albums have it way worse with singles at the beginning of the cd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad