Third best player on the Rangers

3rd best player on the Rangers?

• Total voters

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
You could make a case for any of these guys (with my exceptions being Strome, and though it pains me to say it, Buch). I went with Shesty. When he's on, he's stealing a game for you. If it's like last night, well... The team will live or die by goaltending with this current defense.

For me, Fox is definitely up there. He's a smart player, and he moves the puck well. Seeing him in-person for the first time last night solidified how good he is. Always noticeable and reads the play well.

Trouba is pretty unheralded in these polls, but he plays a big role on the defense in my opinion. He takes the tough assignments, and some of his advanced stats suffer for it, but he makes things easier on TDA and Fox. With Smith, I think it's actually made both of them look better.

I love Buch, but he takes too much time off. You'll see him work his ass off and dominate a shift, and then you'll see him float. It's frustrating as hell because you know that level is there. It reminds me of a lot of the complaints against young Ovi, not that Buch is anywhere near that level. But if he rounds out his game and stays consistent, he'd be a very good player for this team. I still have hope.

Kreider falls a bit into the Trouba category for me. A lot of what he does might not show up on the score sheet, but his net-front presence is second to none. He skates ridiculously well. He forechecks. He'll play physical. He'll take tough assignments. He'll put up some points. He's the guy that you need on a quality team.

Strome is frustrating to me. He'll make great plays and then he'll make asinine plays. Fortunately, playing with Panarin has helped him a lot and covered up some of his shit.

I like Tony a lot, but playing with Staal is hurting him this season, and yet he's still putting up points like crazy. Watching him and Panarin work on the PP is a thing of beauty. Getting him a real partner needs to be a priority. In a league where quality RD is near-impossible to find, we have three of them.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
too early to say Igor. Way too early. Tony has been money this season but so has Kreider after his rough start and he's more important than his raw numbers show anyway. Love Fox too, btw. Just turned 22 and he looks like a savvy vet out there, and is putting up solid offense.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
it's either shesterkin, fox, or deangelo and I really don't think there's an argument for anyone else.

I'm gonna say TDA but Fox surpasses him next year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You know after letting it sink in....we have some pile of talent moving forward . Imagine if K'Andre and Kravs & Barron prove out plus Lundkvist along with KK and Chytil .....and add in NHL regulars like Panarin, Mika,Kreider,Buchnevich,Fox,Tony,Igor,and maybe just maybe Gauthier ! Plus that leaves out 56 million dollar Trouba . I sure hope Gorton is up for this task of handling all these assets and getting the contracts and dollars figured out . We could end up like the Hawks and win a Cup and then have to move guys out like they did after their first win ....but they also won 2 more after that . The future looks bright . BTW...picked ADA in the poll .

Better to have too many good assets than too few.

That said, need to utilize elc and also recognize, not ignore exp draft reality, I see:
Buch, Strome traded -- do not want to pay/give long term $
Deangelo - ditto, except there is also a real sell high opportunity and regardless of stopgap needed/not needed Nils L. is waiting in the wings, not far from knocking on the door.

Other angle is Trouba otherwise goes nowhere anytime soon, but it is possible he may consider move to DET. Critical is how relocation impacts his wife [they got married, right?]. Correct futures pref exp dr exempt is a bonus, and we can save on JT's $8m per.

The above coupled with Staal + Smith off the books, and Hank also -- if he extends, it would only be as reserve 3rd guy for league minimum --- these moves get the full flex we will need.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Right now it’s Kreider, but man Igor and Fox are coming in hot

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
I don't want to say Shesty, but the way the guy has come in and played and the team has responded, he's probably the third most important player for the team's ongoing success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad