LeBrun: Thinks the Habs May Be In the Offer-Sheet Game.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I dont get the part where Habs do not trade 2020 picks or even are looking to add picks because they are hosting the draft. 99% of their fans will be at home watching or will be checking the results the next day.

I can even go as far as saying that it is a disadvantage when you remember the Leblanc situation. If they dont have a 1st, less pressure. What does it matter if Bell is half-empty for the draft?

Of course you deal that pick ONLY if the right offer comes along. Or if the season goes bad then you add a 1st at the deadline to a contender for a Tatar or Petry who will have only 1 year left.

What's to stop the Habs from offer sheeting Marner right now, and then loading up on picks next year?

Go all-in this year and try to win, and then if the team isn't a top 5 contender, you move Petry and Tatar for 1sts ...

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Gonna repeat what I just said, Habs were 4, FOUR, points behind the Leafs last season... **** some people are so blinded by their hate of the Canadiens that they cant see facts.
And If I recall correctly in one of the matches against the Leafs, late in the game, they scored a lucky goal that bounced off the boards as Price left his net. I think we had a few where we blew it when we had some bad luck and should have won.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I mean, if they are smart about it, you don't go after Marner, but rather one of Aho, Mieir, or Labanc.

Assuming the rumors about Aho's contract offer by Carolina are true, I'd try to play the Fin connection (Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Armia, Ylonen, etc.) and try to pry away Aho from the Canes.

I'd do 5 years at 9.5M for Aho long before I'd offer 7 years at 9.5-10.5M to Duchene

Domi - Aho - Drouin
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Byron - Poehling - Shaw
Thompson - Weal

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Folin - Juulsen
Reilly

Price
Lindgren

Damn. That's appealing.

The habs only have 8.7 in cap space. How are you signing Aho to 9.5 and Lehkonen as well without getting rid of somebody. Armia also needs to be signed.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
"guys they may have figured out we are just linking the Leafs to offer sheets to drive up hype and clicks for our media platforms"
"ok lets say its Montreal now"

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
The habs only have 8.7 in cap space. How are you signing Aho to 9.5 and Lehkonen as well without getting rid of somebody. Armia also needs to be signed.

If you actual get Aho then you send Alzner bundled with a 2nd or a 3rd for a 6th or something like that

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
If you actual get Aho then you send Alzner bundled with a 2nd or a 3rd for a 6th or something like that

It will take more than that to get rid of Alzner's deal. Look at what one year of a servicable Marleau cost. Buy him out? Still have 2m this year and 4m next. Even if you do pay a 1st+ to get rid of Alzner you have 13.3 available sign Aho/Marner, Lehkonen, and Armia.

If you somehow lose ANOTHER depth guy to fit in Aho, you'll be at the max cap with Domi needing a big deal next summer (Think ~8m) and Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Gallagher etc coming up after.

It's too hard to justify spending multiple big future assets to try to 1. obtain and 2. fit an Aho or a Marner on the Habs with Price making his 10.5 and Weber making his 7.8.

HABSFTW

Jun 19, 2007
Thunder Bay
Who would we offer sheet? MB covets building through the draft, plus our cap space, I don't see us trying to hit a home run with any of the big names out there.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton

Habs are at 24 roster players already, meaning some will be sent down to the minors, assuming none is picked up, they will save roughly 5M in cap space.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
won't happen. Molson is one of the most conservative owners and part of the board of directors. it's not happening. it could happen, as habs would certainly be able to open up additional cap space quite easily - trade a winger, buy out alzner, etc...
but it aint happening

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
2020 Draft in Montreal, no way we move picks instead in a deeper draft than this year, I'm surprised if we don't acquire more picks...Habs will make a splash.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
domi_marner.jpg

Make it happen. Friendships win championships.

Is that Max Domi and his son?

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Habs bout to offersheet Marner.

Can you imagine?

I cant see Marner betraying the city he grew up in and team he cheered for as a child to go to their bitter rival. I mean unless they're head and shoulders above everyone else's offer or something. He doesn't want to be a Toronto villain.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I cant see Marner betraying the city he grew up in and team he cheered for as a child to go to their bitter rival. I mean unless they're head and shoulders above everyone else's offer or something. He doesn't want to be a Toronto villain.
He might just use a potential offer sheet not to sign, but to get the leafs to pony up the money they seemingly don’t way to by forcing their hand to match an offer they wouldn’t necessarily be happy making on their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad