LeBrun: Thinks the Habs May Be In the Offer-Sheet Game.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Lebrun makes things up and TSN needs to stop putting him on during Habs games . Let Pierre do Leafs lunch and keep him away from the Montreal Canadiens games .

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I dont get the part where Habs do not trade 2020 picks or even are looking to add picks because they are hosting the draft. 99% of their fans will be at home watching or will be checking the results the next day.

I can even go as far as saying that it is a disadvantage when you remember the Leblanc situation. If they dont have a 1st, less pressure. What does it matter if Bell is half-empty for the draft?

Of course you deal that pick ONLY if the right offer comes along. Or if the season goes bad then you add a 1st at the deadline to a contender for a Tatar or Petry who will have only 1 year left.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
So many people getting excited over a non-story. Until an offer sheet is actually accepted by a player, who cares about these rumors we hear every summer ad nauseum. How many years since the last one?

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Once Armia and Lehky are signed for roughly 5 million for both we will have roughly 3.5 mill remaining.

Add to that a possible backup at 1.5 mill and you are left with 2 million.

What in blazes can we do with 2 mill as an offer sheet?

Lebrun smoking again that legal spliff!

We could trade Weise (2.35m), Alzner (4.625m), Shaw (3.9m), and Byron (3.4m) with relative ease (Alzner would require an obvious sweetener, as would Weise) freeing up 14m in cap space.

Weise and Alzner wouldn't make our lineup, and Shaw and Byron could easily be replaced with the gluttony of bottom 6 wingers we have (Lehks/Armia/D.Lo/Weal/Hudon or even Suzuki/Poehling)

Say we traded Shaw + Byron + 2020 1st for Ghost (I know, it probably won't happen, but just giving an example) we would end up with 2.8m in extra cap space, and then you just don't bring back one of Lehks or Armia and suddenly you have nearly 11m in cap space. Obviously in this situation, they can't OS Marner because their 1st will be tied up, but you get my point.

Very very doable for Montreal, and if they want to move prospects or picks to help clear cap space, we all know they can. With one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, the Habs finally have the flexibility to make big moves without destroying our chances at future success. We keep Caufield, we keep Poehling and Suzuki, and ideally we keep Romanov --- everyone else is disposable.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Shocked this “maybe” is even a thread on the main board. Very leafs-like.

Can you imagine every teams “maybes” being a thread here? My word...

Carry on...

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
We could trade Weise (2.35m), Alzner (4.625m), Shaw (3.9m), and Byron (3.4m) with relative ease (Alzner would require an obvious sweetener, as would Weise) freeing up 14m in cap space.

Weise and Alzner wouldn't make our lineup, and Shaw and Byron could easily be replaced with the gluttony of bottom 6 wingers we have (Lehks/Armia/D.Lo/Weal/Hudon or even Suzuki/Poehling)

Say we traded Shaw + Byron + 2020 1st for Ghost (I know, it probably won't happen, but just giving an example) we would end up with 2.8m in extra cap space, and then you just don't bring back one of Lehks or Armia and suddenly you have nearly 11m in cap space. Obviously in this situation, they can't OS Marner because their 1st will be tied up, but you get my point.

Very very doable for Montreal, and if they want to move prospects or picks to help clear cap space, we all know they can. With one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, the Habs finally have the flexibility to make big moves without destroying our chances at future success. We keep Caufield, we keep Poehling and Suzuki, and ideally we keep Romanov --- everyone else is disposable.

I get what your saying, but I like Shaw and Byron. Doubt Bergevin trades him after extending him for 2 years.

Look at the Habs stats with and without Byron. Day and night!

Also Shaw brings some sand paper we need on this team and let's be honest, he really is clicking with Domi.

I don't mind trading Armia.

I think it's time for Bergevin to trade a prospect or 2 in a package with Armia and or picks and get that LHD.

I would love to get rid of Alzner. Trade him with a couple picks if need be.

These moves need to be done before July 1st that way Bergevin knows what he has as real cap space and who he can/should sign.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Lottery picks? They finished four points behind Toronto last year. You take Marner off of Toronto and add him to Montreal... how is that a lottery pick?

Weber - 34 years old, huge contract, declining, recent injury history.
Price - going to be 32, huge contract, massive injury history, going to decline.

That’s your #1 D, #1G.. you cannot be stupid enough to think those guys will keep up their play, or even be healthy for a full season. Not to mention MTL doesn’t even have a #1C... and those bloated contracts for older players such as price and Weber will hurt them bigtime within 2-3 years.

They overachieved big time last year on the back of a healthy Price who played 66 games, that’s not going to happen every year. Even when they overachieved and got carried by Price.. still didn’t make the postseason.

I expect them to take a step back.

Wanna do avatar bet that Habs have a lottery pick within the next 4 years? I’d feel more than comfortable doing that. They need to move FAST to get better, Price and Weber age make their cup window the next 3-4 years MAX.. and they haven’t made the playoffs the last 2 years. If they don’t win they somehow have to come up with a #1 D and #1G all over again when these guys go really downhill.

That’s why I think a 1-2 picks will be in the lottery. I think my reasoning is sound and like I said, I’ll bet on it.

Also if you add Marner for 11M + and lose 4 first rounders.. you’re not improving your team any time soon. Puts you in a cap crunch with no future picks to improve. Like I said, I’ll GLADLY take 4 first rounders from Montreal.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I get what your saying, but I like Shaw and Byron. Doubt Bergevin trades him after extending him for 2 years.

Look at the Habs stats with and without Byron. Day and night!

Also Shaw brings some sand paper we need on this team and let's be honest, he really is clicking with Domi.

I don't mind trading Armia.

I think it's time for Bergevin to trade a prospect or 2 in a package with Armia and or picks and get that LHD.

I would love to get rid of Alzner. Trade him with a couple picks if need be.

These moves need to be done before July 1st that way Bergevin knows what he has as real cap space and who he can/should sign.

If Habs sign Duchene I'd love to see the Jets trade for one of their centres (domi specifically), they have a few LD prospects that could be traded

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Weber - 34 years old, huge contract, declining, recent injury history.
Price - going to be 32, huge contract, massive injury history, going to decline.

That’s your #1 D, #1G.. you cannot be stupid enough to think those guys will keep up their play, or even be healthy for a full season. Not to mention MTL doesn’t even have a #1C... and those bloated contracts for older players such as price and Weber will hurt them bigtime within 2-3 years.

They overachieved big time last year on the back of a healthy Price who played 66 games, that’s not going to happen every year. Even when they overachieved and got carried by Price.. still didn’t make the postseason.

I expect them to take a step back.

Wanna do avatar bet that Habs have a lottery pick within the next 4 years? I’d feel more than comfortable doing that. They need to move FAST to get better, Price and Weber age make their cup window the next 3-4 years MAX.. and they haven’t made the playoffs the last 2 years. If they don’t win they somehow have to come up with a #1 D and #1G all over again when these guys go really downhill.

That’s why I think a 1-2 picks will be in the lottery. I think my reasoning is sound and like I said, I’ll bet on it.

Also if you add Marner for 11M + and lose 4 first rounders.. you’re not improving your team any time soon. Puts you in a cap crunch with no future picks to improve. Like I said, I’ll GLADLY take 4 first rounders from Montreal.
I agree those 2 contract might become a problem in the next 3-4 years, don't think it would be an issue by year 2 unless a major injury occurs but that can happen to any player any age. 4 years from now, Weber's contract will only have 6M in real dollars over 4 years... he might very well retire or "retire" at this point. Most elite goalies perform well into their 30s, I don't expect Price to have a big regression until year 4 when he'll be 36... ¸Luongo played very well til 38, Lundqvist is doing very well at 37, can't see why Price can't do the same. Sure, I would've preferred to a shorter contract, but I still prefer that to seeing him walk to fa.

Other then Price and Weber the Habs are a very young team. Don't see why they would regress next year with a healthy Weber to start the year, multiple young players with an extra year of experience, talent coming up, good depth in case of injury (except defense)... we mostly need a good back up really, for next year.

As far as betting the habs will be a lottery team once within the next 4 years, that's an easy bet for you to take considering your part of the lottery as soon as you miss the playoffs. Habs are in one of the stronger division too with Tampa, Boston and Toronto... they had 3 less point then St.Louis this year and were one point away (iirc) from having the team with the most point to miss the playoffs.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'd like to see more,but the repercussions might be inflated contracts,already getting high as it is. Need to discuss with the next CBA.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
If Habs sign Duchene I'd love to see the Jets trade for one of their centres (domi specifically), they have a few LD prospects that could be traded

Habs will not trade Domi, even if they managed to sign Duchene.

If they were looking to deal a center, it would likely be Danault in that hypothetical situation.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I dont get the part where Habs do not trade 2020 picks or even are looking to add picks because they are hosting the draft. 99% of their fans will be at home watching or will be checking the results the next day.

I can even go as far as saying that it is a disadvantage when you remember the Leblanc situation. If they dont have a 1st, less pressure. What does it matter if Bell is half-empty for the draft?

Of course you deal that pick ONLY if the right offer comes along. Or if the season goes bad then you add a 1st at the deadline to a contender for a Tatar or Petry who will have only 1 year left.
The lesson was learnt from the Leblanc failure...

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I would bet no RFA is offered a deal over $8M. The cost is so high it just cripples the team going forward. Get a stud, over pay (potentially), limit your cap space and give up your future. Too steep IMO.

xxsciroccoxx

Dec 17, 2010
That’s fine, I’ll take 4 firsts from the habs. 1-2 should be lottery picks. No way they do anything relevant with price and Weber contracts as anchors and declining
You know Montreal was only 4 points behind the Leafs last season? Lottery picks my ass.

xxsciroccoxx

Dec 17, 2010
would be hilarious af though hahah then we get their lotto picks cus they'll still be bleh. Take that and offersheet someone else. Just get some activitiy going.
Gonna repeat what I just said, Habs were 4, FOUR, points behind the Leafs last season... f*** some people are so blinded by their hate of the Canadiens that they cant see facts.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Not sure why people completely write off the notion of offer sheets. Yes they’re rare and usually are matched, but they aren’t unheard of. One typically happens every few years. Given all the smoke around it this year, I really wouldn’t rule it all.

A few years ago it was a virtual certainty that Dougie Hamilton and Brandon Saad were going to be signed to offer sheets, so they were traded beforehand. The threat shouldn’t be ruled out.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Gonna repeat what I just said, Habs were 4, FOUR, points behind the Leafs last season... **** some people are so blinded by their hate of the Canadiens that they cant see facts.
Yeah but the leafs bruins and tampa are still better. And if you don't make the playoffs your picks are still lotto picks based on the new system. It's not hate... it's logic.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I mean, if they are smart about it, you don't go after Marner, but rather one of Aho, Mieir, or Labanc.

Assuming the rumors about Aho's contract offer by Carolina are true, I'd try to play the Fin connection (Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Armia, Ylonen, etc.) and try to pry away Aho from the Canes.

I'd do 5 years at 9.5M for Aho long before I'd offer 7 years at 9.5-10.5M to Duchene

Domi - Aho - Drouin
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Byron - Poehling - Shaw
Thompson - Weal

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Folin - Juulsen
Reilly

Price
Lindgren

Damn. That's appealing.