LeBrun: Thinks the Habs May Be In the Offer-Sheet Game.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lmfao it is official, Mackenzie even said so. They can’t sign the deals until Marner issue is solved as it takes them over 10% over the cap

I genuinely don't understand what this means. Can you explain?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
LeBrun was incredibly clear on this segment that it was his opinion and that he has heard nothing about any of the teams that may be in the offersheet game.

He even specifically spoke about how teams considering offersheets are going to great lengths to squash even the rumour that they might be after a certain player, to the point that they'll pull an offer off the table if anything leaks.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Max term at that compensation would 5 years.

5 x 8,4 millions would be a solid OS, but I think Philly matches.

Yeah Philly would probably match that. Provorov is worth more than a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. At 8.5, we may even match as well. Though, there would be a lot more thought though (Prov vs. 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd). We would definitely let him walk for 4 1sts (ain't gonna happen).

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yeah Philly would probably match that. Provorov is worth more than a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. At 8.5, we may even match as well. Though, there would be a lot more thought though (Prov vs. 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd). We would definitely let him walk for 4 1sts (ain't gonna happen).

I would take the 2 1st+ if the OS is over 8,5 per if I were the Flyers. The team is not competing any time soon with the best in the conference IMO. That would make them weak on the left side, but they could certainly fill that via a cheaper trade (Leddy) or slight UFA overpay (Gardiner).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs should sign Meier for 5 years at $8.4M. 1st, 2nd, 3rd. But with the draft in Montreal next year, do they want to not have their 1st? I think Bergevin avoids this

Reactions: hn777

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I would take the 2 1st+ if the OS is over 8,5 per if I were the Flyers. The team is not competing any time soon with the best in the conference IMO. That would make them weak on the left side, but they could certainly fill that via a cheaper trade (Leddy) or slight UFA overpay (Gardiner).

I'd prefer long term in the 7-7.5 range. I'd probably accept any offer sheet up to 9. Leddy would be a solid replacement if we had to go that route. I'd personally take Provorov at 8.5 over Gardiner at 7-7.5 (I think that's the range they've been talking about).

Management's plan is to start competing this year though. Upgraded a lot of our areas of weakness in the offseason (center depth, defensive depth, coaching). Which is why I see them accepting (just about) any offer sheet signed by Provorov.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I'd prefer long term in the 7-7.5 range. I'd probably accept any offer sheet up to 9. Leddy would be a solid replacement if we had to go that route. I'd personally take Provorov at 8.5 over Gardiner at 7-7.5 (I think that's the range they've been talking about).

Management's plan is to start competing this year though. Upgraded a lot of our areas of weakness in the offseason (center depth, defensive depth, coaching). Which is why I see them accepting (just about) any offer sheet signed by Provorov.
I would take Gardiner at 7 x 7.5 + two 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd over Provorov at 7 x 8.5 in a heartbeat.

Thing is, If Provorov signs the OS on July 1st, It will be too late for the Flyers to fall back on Gardiner. A trade for a LHD is more realistic.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I would take Gardiner at 7 x 7.5 + two 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd over Provorov at 7 x 8.5 in a heartbeat.

Thing is, If Provorov signs the OS on July 1st, It will be too late for the Flyers to fall back on Gardiner. A trade for a LHD is more realistic.

I don't know if I realistically see anyone sending him an offer sheet of 8.5 or more. I'd like Werenski to sign long term first. Then the Flyers would hold more leverage to get a contract done.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I can't see any teams offering a high price contract and giving up 4 1sts. If someone sends a offer sheet then it will be in the 2nd round pick compensation category.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
It wasn't meant to say that it will. Hence why the thread's title says "thinks."

thats also my point... he doesnt say he thinks it will happen, he says he wouldnt be surprised. Doesn't mean the same thing
example "i think itll be sunny today, but i wouldnt be surprised if it rained"

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
ROR was the most recent one I think

Wouldnt have gotten 4 x 1st rounders, though.... was only a 2 year deal if I remember correctly.

I was saying no team has acutally given up 4 1st rounders since Stevens (which actually backfired in the end as he was given to NJ as compensation for Shanny)

Reactions: c3z4r

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Once Armia and Lehky are signed for roughly 5 million for both we will have roughly 3.5 mill remaining.

Add to that a possible backup at 1.5 mill and you are left with 2 million.

What in blazes can we do with 2 mill as an offer sheet?

Lebrun smoking again that legal spliff!

Actually, once you send Alzner on his annual trip down to the AHL along with Weise & Peca on the backseat, you get ~ 5M AAV in cap savings. Also, there will probably be at least one or two higher AAVs going down to the AHL as they already have 24 NHL contracts signed.

I suspect you will see Lehkonen, Armia, and at least 1 free agent signing or player acquisition.

Plus Poehling likely starts with the big club. So that's 28 NHL contracts, aka, 5 above the limit.

Meaning Alzner may have to rent a small school bus on his way to Laval to carry all of his buddies with him.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I wouldnt like them signing anyone that would cost them their next first round pick, they surprised and over achieved bigtime last season so it's not too far fetched to think they could end up in bottom 10 position or so come next years draft

Reactions: hmc1987

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
That’s fine, I’ll take 4 firsts from the habs. 1-2 should be lottery picks. No way they do anything relevant with price and Weber contracts as anchors and declining

Lottery picks? They finished four points behind Toronto last year. You take Marner off of Toronto and add him to Montreal... how is that a lottery pick?

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Actually, once you send Alzner on his annual trip down to the AHL along with Weise & Peca on the backseat, you get ~ 5M AAV in cap savings. Also, there will probably be at least one or two higher AAVs going down to the AHL as they already have 24 NHL contracts signed.

I suspect you will see Lehkonen, Armia, and at least 1 free agent signing or player acquisition.

Plus Poehling likely starts with the big club. So that's 28 NHL contracts, aka, 5 above the limit.

Meaning Alzner may have to rent a small school bus on his way to Laval to carry all of his buddies with him.
Yeah. But Bergevin won't spend right to the cap.

He said countless times that he will play it safe and make he still has room for next years RFA's.

After the personel changes he may have roughly 6 million to work with. I don't see him spending right to the cap.

Signing wise I see him doing 3 moves.
1 - Sign Lehkonen
2 - Sign Armia
3 - Sign a back-up goalie

I see him pulling a couple trades, but nothing huge.

But who knows, maybe he is committed to getting that elusive LHD and is simply waiting to see the results of the Lehkonen and Armia signatures before committing to a trade for that LHD.

Either way, Bergy still has some work to do to get the team in a better position to perform better than last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad