LeBrun: Thinks the Habs May Be In the Offer-Sheet Game.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Habs bout to offersheet Marner.

Can you imagine?
I could 100% bergevin giving an offersheet to the 3rd or 4th best RFA instead of the best one just to spite a division rival.

The way I see it the RFA forwards are in 2 tiers

Tier 1:
Point
Rantanen
Marner
Aho
Laine

Tier 2:
Everyone else but I think Connor and Tkachuk are a lot closer to that first tier than the rest.

As a leaf fan I am okay with a team giving marner an offer sheet as long as its 11m. It would suck to lose the home town kid but the team can manage. I think there are better targets for the habs but hey if you wanna do it MB go nuts.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I could 100% bergevin giving an offersheet to the 3rd or 4th best RFA instead of the best one just to spite a division rival.

The way I see it the RFA forwards are in 2 tiers

Tier 1:
Point
Rantanen
Marner
Aho
Laine

Tier 2:
Everyone else but I think Connor and Tkachuk are a lot closer to that first tier than the rest.

As a leaf fan I am okay with a team giving marner an offer sheet as long as its 11m. It would suck to lose the home town kid but the team can manage. I think there are better targets for the habs but hey if you wanna do it MB go nuts.
See below.

Once Armia and Lehky are signed for roughly 5 million for both we will have roughly 3.5 mill remaining.

Add to that a possible backup at 1.5 mill and you are left with 2 million.

What in blazes can we do with 2 mill as an offer sheet?

Lebrun smoking again that legal spliff!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I could see the Habs sneakily dropping a bomb and signing Provorov to a sheet. This is their chance to get their Andrei Markov 2.0 for a decade for picks.
You don't "sign" a player to an offer sheet. The player themself signs the offer sheet.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wrong.

You can go through almost any team and find a recent 4 year span where you'd gladly take Marner or Point then the guys taken.
I agree with this. I’ve always had the opinion that 8-9 out of 10 times, four consecutive 1sts generally won’t get you a Marner/Point caliber player. But it’s HF. Futures and picks are way overvalued here.

I don’t think offersheets happen because it’s almost an unwritten rule amongst GMs. Highly frowned upon at the very least and you could blackball yourself by falling out of favour with the other GMs across the league.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
2020 draft in Montreal, no way MB gives up his 1st unless he has a plan up his sleeve to aquire another one

I wouldnt bet any of my own money the guy can walk and chew gum at the same time so don't think he could pull off a mulit-layered transaction

Needs to call in Kevin Costner from Draft Day

Reactions: knuck and Kimota

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Wrong.

You can go through almost any team and find a recent 4 year span where you'd gladly take Marner or Point then the guys taken.
sure, but who will have the guts to do it? Theres a reason why its never acutally happened since Scott Stevens.... 29 years ago

yes, there were the Weber and Vanek deals more recently, but were matched

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point would be their obvious target. At worst it ****s with our cap.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
2020 draft in Montreal, no way MB gives up his 1st unless he has a plan up his sleeve to aquire another one

I wouldnt bet any of my own money the guy can walk and chew gum at the same time so don't think he could pull off a mulit-layered transaction

Needs to call in Kevin Costner from Draft Day

Only crap that is right there's no way they don't have a first pick for next year. Only way this could happen would be if they offersheet someone and trade Drouin for a first pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad