LeBrun: Thinks the Habs May Be In the Offer-Sheet Game.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I could see the Habs sneakily dropping a bomb and signing Provorov to a sheet. This is their chance to get their Andrei Markov 2.0 for a decade for picks.

Hey that way all Fletcher has to do is match. I mean I don't think he does for anything less that 4 1st round picks.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Offer sheets are a thing every summer. Then they never happen. Rinse and repeat.

Until recently RFA's never made real money and teams were afraid of offer sheets screwing up their own RFA's. Since McDavid and Eichel signed it seems the league has realized paying guys early is better then overpaying them for years at the end of the career. I really think this could be a year we one get signed early and the floodgates will open. I honestly believe there will be 2 or 3, but more likely for those middle tier guys that end up costing less in draft picks. 4 firsts or even 2 firsts is a steep price to pay for a team picking up a $10 million player with no idea how it's going to shake out. Draisaitl going from "$8.5 is a huge overpayment" too "$8.5 x 8 is a steal" likely has GM's thinking long and hard.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hey that way all Fletcher has to do is match. I mean I don't think he does for anything less that 4 1st round picks.

If the Flyers wanted to pay Provorov that, they would just do it now and get it over with. The fact that his agent didn't want to extend last offseason and they are still rumored to be not close... this seems like a potential disconnect between the club and the player's camp.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Really? You think Philly would match in the 8x8 range? That’s pretty steep for a guy that stumbled quite a bit last year

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
If the Flyers wanted to pay Provorov that, they would just do it now and get it over with. The fact that his agent didn't want to extend last offseason and they are still rumored to be not close... this seems like a potential disconnect between the club and the player's camp.

Why would they give him that money right away? If nobody offersheet him, there's a chance he won't have that high.

Reactions: Starat327

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Right, but it could be a difference in long term or short term. At this very moment, there isn't urgency to get a deal done. An offer sheet changes that. Backs get put up against the wall. Same thing happened with Shea Weber. He wasn't close with Nashville, Flyers went and signed him to an offer sheet, Nashville really didn't have any choice other than match it. So, if it's anything less than 4, 1st round picks, the Flyers have no choice/reason not to just match. I mean they have the cap space to fit him in. Even if it was for 10 million (not saying that he's worth that much atm).

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If you're going to be the blacksheep that breaks the peace, go big, or don 't do it. Crazy respect if they do it.

Reactions: viper0220

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
While I'm sure MB wants to have some good picks at the draft in MTL next year I would hope that wouldn't stop him from making a move that will benefit the team.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Really? You think Philly would match in the 8x8 range? That’s pretty steep for a guy that stumbled quite a bit last year

Yeah it would be 7 though wouldn't it? I thought you could only offer a 7 year contract if they were currently a member of your team. But anyway a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd isn't enough value to get in return for Provorov. I think Fletcher easily signs it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not sure if the Sharks match at $4,227,437 but if it's over that amount, I am sure they would love the Habs 1st and 3rd next year. I am guessing the Sharks match anything $3.5M or under, but maybe they would rather take the Habs 2nd rounder and then use that money to re-sign Pavelski.
Sharks match anything under 6.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not the one who wrote the tweet. LeBrun may have mentioned other teams in his Overdrive segment or maybe he just said "other teams." But the guy who Tweeted this info only mentioned the Habs. So I went with that.
Hmmmm, I wonder if specifying the Habs has anything to do with the huge fanbase they have, eager to click on any random tidbits.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hmmmm, I wonder if specifying the Habs has anything to do with the huge fanbase they have, eager to click on any random tidbits.

It could just be reeling the fanbase in. But I can see why LeBrun would specify Montreal because he's plugged into the Montreal market. He does French TV here and is usually the one who will talk about Montreal when he's doing a segment with McKenzie, Dreger, Seravalli, and others.

But this whole offer-sheet talk has the insiders split. Some say they think it will happen. Others say they doubt they will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad