Boston Bruins Things to love going forward

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Okay, now that I have partially recovered from the awful disappointment of last game, and the overreacting I was doing for the next two hours or so :laugh::

I think it would be good for our collective morale to think about things we like about our team moving forward. We know all the negative stuff like contracts, aging/underperforming players, bad FA signings etc. But, we have to remember that most of us never thought the team would be as good as it is this season. We are victims of changing expectations. If someone told us last summer that we would finish 2nd in the east and make a strong playoff run, we would probably have scoffed a bit. Okay, I know we still have shot at a comeback against TB, but should the worst happen, here is what I like about next season and beyond:

1) Good young players that established themselves as bonafide NHLers with upside to come: Heinen, Grizz, McAvoy, Carlo, Donato, DeBrusk, Bjork. Wow. What a core going forward, and that's leaving 21 year old Pasta off the list.

2) Solid prospects in the system, either on their way or about ready to step in: Fitz, Cehlarik, Czarnik, JFK, T-Fred, Zboril and then some guys maybe a bit further off: Senny, Gabrielle, Lauzon. Am I forgetting anyone? What a nice list and some of the sleepers like Connor Clifton make it more intriguing

3) A great coach and staff who are constantly looking for ways to get the best out of the players. It may not always work out, but they are really trying to find the most effective formula for our team. They are progressive-minded and I like that. Add to that Kevin Dean and his staff in Providence and we have to like where the team is headed.

4) A GM with a plan- again, it won't always work out, but I like the model that Sweeney and Neely are working towards. We aren't quite there yet, but it's beginning to bear fruit

5) A few solid core guys with a lot left to contribute: Bergeron, Marchand, Krug, and I might add a healthy, refreshed Backes possibly (your mileage on this may vary)

6) Kick ass goaltending. Tuuka is top 5 or 6 in the league, and Dobby has been as solid a backup this season as you can ask for.

There's my list. I know there will be some disagreements, but man, taking the big picture view here, there is a lot to like going forward, whatever happens in the next few days.

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
That we are going to have a very competitive team for at least the next few years and if the breaks go the right way, a Cup contender in the very near future.

Lots of good prospects in the pipeline to go along with the kids brought in this year that will get better as they mature.

A very good head coach and coaching staff that are willing to adapt to the changes that the game demands.

A solid, smart GM who has done a great job retooling this team on the fly while stocking the organization with very good prospects and has negotiated some great contracts with the young veterans (Marchand and Pastrnak) to keep the team’s payroll on track.

Can’t ask for much more than that other than lower ticket and concession prices :laugh:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Bruins are a 100+ point team for years going forward and 2020 Stanley Cup champs

Pretty much this. We are loaded tons of options up and down the roster. Thanks to McAvoy and Carlo the blue line is never going to suck.

The only real problem is the kids who produce 50 point seasons (Heinen only had 47) can plan on sitting once the playoffs come around. Bjork and Donato can both put up 60 points next year but they will be in street clothes for the playoffs in favor of some 35 year old making the vet minimum that we picked up at the deadline for depth and leadership. We are going to be able to put together 3 excellent offensive lines every year going forward and a really good 4th. Again the only problem is plan on some of those guys sitting once the game matters in favor of a Wingels/Gionta.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Im very optimistic of the future.

I just got out of the way back machine to see what I thought back in October. Since I cant remember what I had for dinner Wednesday.

Did I think they would make the playoffs? Yes, but fight and scratch for 7 or 8 spot.
Did I think they were a 100 point team? Hell no.
Did I think the kiddie connection would contribute this much this soon? Hell no. I was thinking a year or two further out.
Did I think theyd stay in contention when ravaged by the injuries and ailments that hit them? Hell no.

So all things considered Im very pleased with there progress this year and potential for the next few years.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I just got out of the way back machine to see what I thought back in October. Since I cant remember what I had for dinner Wednesday.

Did I think they would make the playoffs? Yes, but fight and scratch for 7 or 8 spot.
Did I think the kiddie connection would contribute this much this soon? Hell no. I was thinking a year or two further out.
Did I think theyd stay in contention when ravaged by the injuries and ailments that hit them? Hell know.

So all things considered Im very pleased with there progress this year and potential for the next few years.

I felt pretty much the same way going into the season- bubble playoff team that was going to be up and down a lot due to the youth movement, would have been happy scraping a wild card with a 90 point season.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Okay, now that I have partially recovered from the awful disappointment of last game, and the overreacting I was doing for the next two hours or so :laugh::

I think it would be good for our collective morale to think about things we like about our team moving forward. We know all the negative stuff like contracts, aging/underperforming players, bad FA signings etc. But, we have to remember that most of us never thought the team would be as good as it is this season. We are victims of changing expectations. If someone told us last summer that we would finish 2nd in the east and make a strong playoff run, we would probably have scoffed a bit. Okay, I know we still have shot at a comeback against TB, but should the worst happen, here is what I like about next season and beyond:

1) Good young players that established themselves as bonafide NHLers with upside to come: Heinen, Grizz, McAvoy, Carlo, Donato, DeBrusk, Bjork. Wow. What a core going forward, and that's leaving 21 year old Pasta off the list.

2) Solid prospects in the system, either on their way or about ready to step in: Fitz, Cehlarik, Czarnik, JFK, T-Fred, Zboril and then some guys maybe a bit further off: Senny, Gabrielle, Lauzon. Am I forgetting anyone? What a nice list and some of the sleepers like Connor Clifton make it more intriguing

3) A great coach and staff who are constantly looking for ways to get the best out of the players. It may not always work out, but they are really trying to find the most effective formula for our team. They are progressive-minded and I like that. Add to that Kevin Dean and his staff in Providence and we have to like where the team is headed.

4) A GM with a plan- again, it won't always work out, but I like the model that Sweeney and Neely are working towards. We aren't quite there yet, but it's beginning to bear fruit

5) A few solid core guys with a lot left to contribute: Bergeron, Marchand, Krug, and I might add a healthy, refreshed Backes possibly (your mileage on this may vary)

6) Kick ass goaltending. Tuuka is top 5 or 6 in the league, and Dobby has been as solid a backup this season as you can ask for.

There's my list. I know there will be some disagreements, but man, taking the big picture view here, there is a lot to like going forward, whatever happens in the next few days.

Studnicka, Vaaka, Kuhlman, Keyser

Reactions: Dr Hook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Did I think theyd stay in contention when ravaged by the injuries and ailments that hit them? Hell no.

My preseason goal was

100+ season
Win a round

I picked them for third and Toronto second and wanted to beat Leafs

Yesterday texting to Lou & Joe at 3:00 I had Tampa 4-3 overtime but had Kucherov getting it

63-37-88/43/10
74-46-43/88/10
17-X-42/10
10-52-55

Out- Nash Nash, Wingels, Gionta & Schaller

In- Bjork, Donato, JFK, Fitzgerald

Pastrnak and DeBrusk could be spectacular second line duo

Heinen I'm a big fan and would fit well anywhere

DEFENSE

Right side

McAvoy
Carlo
Miller
McQuaid

Left side

Chara
Krug
Grzelcyk
Zboril

Last years of Chara & McQuaid methinks

I would take a bet McQuaid is here and I would certainly keep him

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Everyone knows the series is at 3-1 right?

Shoulda saved this as a draft

Why? Many of us needed a shot of positivity here after that shit show that was last night. It's healing on the fly. Win or lose tomorrow, we have a lot to be happy about with our team. I am pulling all the way to go beyond tomorrow and I think we have a chance at a comeback. But if it should fail at the last, I know we have a lot of things going for us as a team to look forward to.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Future looks great.

Kinda can't wait for most of the veterans to clear out.

I like what Tampa has done with putting their fossils on the 4th line and going young down the middle w point and cirelli.

Not sure I want both Krug and Gryz on my defense. They are being exposed physically. I like the looks of Zboril, Lauzon and Vaak later, with their size/skating combo.

They need to find a young goalie. I don't want to be the Dallas Stars or Flyers with having a new goalie annually.

Reactions: Salem13 and DKH

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Hate to rain on this parade but the Leafs and Flyers are gunna have a lot to say shortly.

Jets and I wouldn’t bet against McDavid even with Chia in the West either.

The window to win isn’t as magical as some want to believe.

Win Tmrw!

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Future looks great.

Kinda can't wait for most of the veterans to clear out.

I like what Tampa has done with putting their fossils on the 4th line and going young down the middle w point and cirelli.

Not sure I want both Krug and Gryz on my defense. They are being exposed physically. I like the looks of Zboril, Lauzon and Vaak later, with their size/skating combo.

They need to find a young goalie. I don't want to be the Dallas Stars or Flyers with having a new goalie annually.

upload_2018-5-5_15-25-37.png

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hate to rain on this parade but the Leafs and Flyers are gunna have a lot to say shortly.

Jets and I wouldn’t bet against McDavid even with Chia in the West either.

The window to win isn’t as magical as some want to believe.

Win Tmrw!
I'm going to disagree in s big way here but time will be the judge

They are still loaded

In fact they have more below than up

Reactions: Chief Nine

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
My preseason goal was

100+ season
Win a round

I picked them for third and Toronto second and wanted to beat Leafs

Yesterday texting to Lou & Joe at 3:00 I had Tampa 4-3 overtime but had Kucherov getting it

63-37-88/43/10
74-46-43/88/10
17-X-42/10
10-52-55

Out- Nash Nash, Wingels, Gionta & Schaller

In- Bjork, Donato, JFK, Fitzgerald

Pastrnak and DeBrusk could be spectacular second line duo

Heinen I'm a big fan and would fit well anywhere

DEFENSE

Right side

McAvoy
Carlo
Miller
McQuaid

Left side

Chara
Krug
Grzelcyk
Zboril

Last years of Chara & McQuaid methinks

I would take a bet McQuaid is here and I would certainly keep him
I wish I could like this 1,000 times. Perfect assessment. This season was a huge success no matter the results going forward with Tampa. They developed some more kids and went a round. I think none of the free agents are back. Schaller and Riley Nash will get paid more than Sweeney is willing to pay. And they deserve it. Great seasons by both. The lines next year...
63-37-88
74-46-43
10-17-42(position flexible on all 3)
Kid-52-55

33-73
47-25
48-86 or 54

And the cap room we will have can go towards deadline acquisitions we make. Got to leave room to sign the kids after next season(17,73,43,25) as well. This organization sees the long term picture and it’s awesome.

And another kid or 2 will be here next year at some point during the season and contribute. Zboril or JFK or Fitzgerald or Frederic or Blidh as a 4th line guy. My biggest concern would be backup goalie if Anton is not back. I love Zane I do but I’m starting to waiver a little. A strong backup to keep Tuukka’s games down is vital.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad