Boston Bruins Things to love going forward

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Okay, now that I have partially recovered from the awful disappointment of last game, and the overreacting I was doing for the next two hours or so :laugh::

I think it would be good for our collective morale to think about things we like about our team moving forward. We know all the negative stuff like contracts, aging/underperforming players, bad FA signings etc. But, we have to remember that most of us never thought the team would be as good as it is this season. We are victims of changing expectations. If someone told us last summer that we would finish 2nd in the east and make a strong playoff run, we would probably have scoffed a bit. Okay, I know we still have shot at a comeback against TB, but should the worst happen, here is what I like about next season and beyond:

1) Good young players that established themselves as bonafide NHLers with upside to come: Heinen, Grizz, McAvoy, Carlo, Donato, DeBrusk, Bjork. Wow. What a core going forward, and that's leaving 21 year old Pasta off the list.

2) Solid prospects in the system, either on their way or about ready to step in: Fitz, Cehlarik, Czarnik, JFK, T-Fred, Zboril and then some guys maybe a bit further off: Senny, Gabrielle, Lauzon. Am I forgetting anyone? What a nice list and some of the sleepers like Connor Clifton make it more intriguing

3) A great coach and staff who are constantly looking for ways to get the best out of the players. It may not always work out, but they are really trying to find the most effective formula for our team. They are progressive-minded and I like that. Add to that Kevin Dean and his staff in Providence and we have to like where the team is headed.

4) A GM with a plan- again, it won't always work out, but I like the model that Sweeney and Neely are working towards. We aren't quite there yet, but it's beginning to bear fruit

5) A few solid core guys with a lot left to contribute: Bergeron, Marchand, Krug, and I might add a healthy, refreshed Backes possibly (your mileage on this may vary)

6) Kick ass goaltending. Tuuka is top 5 or 6 in the league, and Dobby has been as solid a backup this season as you can ask for.

There's my list. I know there will be some disagreements, but man, taking the big picture view here, there is a lot to like going forward, whatever happens in the next few days.
Like your outlook, Doc, and it is not overly optimistic.

BTW, Kevin Dean is now behind the Boston bench with Bruce. Kathryn's ex is doing a good job at Providence.

As for Czarnik, he'd have to be offered a one way contract as his ELC and options have expired. Like to see it though.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad