Boston Bruins Things to love going forward

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I wish I could like this 1,000 times. Perfect assessment. This season was a huge success no matter the results going forward with Tampa. They developed some more kids and went a round. I think none of the free agents are back. Schaller and Riley Nash will get paid more than Sweeney is willing to pay. And they deserve it. Great seasons by both. The lines next year...
63-37-88
74-46-43
10-17-42(position flexible on all 3)
Kid-52-55

33-73
47-25
48-86 or 54

And the cap room we will have can go towards deadline acquisitions we make. Got to leave room to sign the kids after next season(17,73,43,25) as well. This organization sees the long term picture and it’s awesome.

And another kid or 2 will be here next year at some point during the season and contribute. Zboril or JFK or Fitzgerald or Frederic or Blidh as a 4th line guy. My biggest concern would be backup goalie if Anton is not back. I love Zane I do but I’m starting to waiver a little. A strong backup to keep Tuukka’s games down is vital.

Those are the lines I'm looking toward right now, too. Although I would bet that they sign a versatile vet to a 1 year deal for that LW4 spot.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I'm going to disagree in s big way here but time will be the judge

They are still loaded

In fact they have more below than up

Im not saying they won’t be in the mix.

But what I’m reading leads me to believe people here think they will and are going to be legitimate favourites to win the cup.

They will have a chance and deserve to be in the conversataion but TB Phi and Tor arent going anywhere and possibly all are improving a lot more.

While on the other side Wpg and Edm (just because of McDavid) are gunna have a lot of good years coming themselves.

Top 10 maybe top 5 but as we all know it’s hard to win a cup. This years team had just as good of chance as next years will if I’m being a realist.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Im very optimistic of the future.

I just got out of the way back machine to see what I thought back in October. Since I cant remember what I had for dinner Wednesday.

So all things considered Im very pleased with there progress this year and potential for the next few years.

This is exactly where I am. I was expecting a team that was a wild card, maybe third-place team, not one that would have been battling for the President's Trophy at season's end. That already puts them probably a year ahead on the development curve.

Throw in all of the adversity with the injuries and I'm pretty pleased with this season overall. The team really overachieved. But of course, that regular season play had us all thinking Cup contender, but the NHL's playoff format has the 4 top teams in the league all meeting in the second round, so two of the top four were going to be sent packing going in.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This is exactly where I am. I was expecting a team that was a wild card, maybe third-place team, not one that would have been battling for the President's Trophy at season's end. That already puts them probably a year ahead on the development curve.

Throw in all of the adversity with the injuries and I'm pretty pleased with this season overall. The team really overachieved. But of course, that regular season play had us all thinking Cup contender, but the NHL's playoff format has the 4 top teams in the league all meeting in the second round, so two of the top four were going to be sent packing going in.

Great point on the playoff format. That really needs to be rethought.

Reactions: sarge88

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Great point on the playoff format. That really needs to be rethought.

The old playoff format (the 1994-2013 one) was the best in sports. It rewarded the top teams. This one, not quite so much.

I'm convinced the Bruins win the Cup in 2014 if the league used the old format. NYR likely would've eliminated MTL in the first round, and the Habs were the B's Kryptonite in that era. This year, I'm not sure the old format would've helped (they'd have played the Flyers in the first round while the Leafs would've played the Penguins, but the second-round series would likely have been against the Caps, their one nightmare matchup), but there's no reason the top two teams should be meeting in the second round.

Reactions: Save By Thomas

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
Im trying to be optimistic for the future but i can't see it. Bergeron and Marchand are both getting older and are pretty much our team. They are most likely not getting any better and will only start getting worst. How are we going to replace them without a top pick? Backes is done and a 6m 3rd liner. Krejci's declining hard. We dont have a 1st this year.
We will most likely have the same team next year but older. I don't see us getting any better.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Im trying to be optimistic for the future but i can't see it. Bergeron and Marchand are both getting older and are pretty much our team. They are most likely not getting any better and will only start getting worst. How are we going to replace them without a top pick? Backes is done and a 6m 3rd liner. Krejci's declining hard. We dont have a 1st this year.
We will most likely have the same team next year but older. I don't see us getting any better.
I think you hope the young kids get better,Debrusk,Heinen,but do agree Bruins have to soon develop another good centerman,Bergy,and Krejci can’t play forever,Marchand is still pretty young,So is Pasta.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

Those guys (Bergy, Marchand, Pastrnak, Chara) are all signed long-term to team-friendly contracts that give DS cap flexibility.

DeBrusk is a legit 1st/2nd line talent
Pasta is a 30-goal scorer with elite skill
Heinen is a versatile above-average NHL player with experience
Donato has ridiculous goal-scoring ability and will be more experienced
Bjork will be back
Frederic seems close and projects to be an NHL stud
Holding out hope JFK can be a solid depth player

McAvoy is barely 20 and is a stud and is in his first full season
Carlo is 21 and a solid top-four NHL defenseman
Lauzon/Zboril could be ready as Miller/McQuaid begin to age
Chara is a cyborg

Sweeney has about $10mm in cap space to work with.

There's a lot to like about what's going to come and how good this team is going to be as those "core" guys get long in the tooth.

The development curve for young players isn't linear, but it *is* likely to see some jumps from Year 1 to Year 2 as they learn the NHL.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
How are we going to replace them without a top pick?

I'm not going to respond to everything here because it's wrong and basically assuming literally everything goes wrong. But this line stood out to me. How on earth could we replace our core vets without top picks?

The only top pick we've got on the team right now is Rick Nash.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I'm not going to respond to everything here because it's wrong and basically assuming literally everything goes wrong. But this line stood out to me. How on earth could we replace our core vets without top picks?

The only top pick we've got on the team right now is Rick Nash.

DeBrusk & McAvoy were both picked 14th overall
Pastrnak went 25th
Bergeron, Krejci, Donato & Carlo were drafted in the 2nd round
Marchand was a 3rd rounder
Krug wasn't drafted at all

It's possible to build a team with diamonds chosen deep in the draft.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Would be nice for Sweeney to get something for UFA's Nash and Nash. Anything from a team wanting their rights ahead of time.
We can pray that Sweeney figures out how to get rid of Krejci and Backes.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Why? Many of us needed a shot of positivity here after that **** show that was last night. It's healing on the fly. Win or lose tomorrow, we have a lot to be happy about with our team. I am pulling all the way to go beyond tomorrow and I think we have a chance at a comeback. But if it should fail at the last, I know we have a lot of things going for us as a team to look forward to.

Yeah, but you’re throwing the towel in too early, obviously there’s things to be stoked for in the future but save that till the off season, still in the playoffs here last time I checked

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Carlo is a huge part of the defense core and we’ve really missed him in the post season. I look forward to continue watching him develop next season.

I feel like this is an understatement. Carlo was key for keeping up with other teams' speed. Also, I feel like his presence makes Krug more effective. Carlo's retrieval skills make it a nightmare for opposing teams to get sustained pressure. Once Carlo went down, sustained pressure went up.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I feel like this is an understatement. Carlo was key for keeping up with other teams' speed. Also, I feel like his presence makes Krug more effective. Carlo's retrieval skills make it a nightmare for opposing teams to get sustained pressure. Once Carlo went down, sustained pressure went up.

I said this the day we learned Carlo was done for the season. Several posters laughed at me , my favorite was one who said if Carlo's absence was going to be missed then it was never in the cards. That has to be the safest,cheapest statement of all statements. How could you go wrong saying such a thing when , in his absence , it could never be proven otherwise .

Many posters get on Carlo because they find that he doesn't have the snarl they would like for someone with his size. I myself , find myself wishing he had a little more nasty in him but it doesn't blind me to the point where I can't see his value. His ability to close gaps like no other of the Bruins Dmen. Make no mistake , he is our best defender by far.

When he went down , I posted that he would be the difference in being able to sustain a run. I felt he was the key to getting passed Toronto and Tampa.His mobility and ability to close gaps is unmatched on our D corps. ( LET ME TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO EXPRESS HOW MUCH I HATE THIS PLAYOFF FORMAT) . We will, until the dumbest guys in the room (THE NHL NO BRAIN TRUST, GOOD f***ING LUCK GETTING THROUGH TO THESE GENIUSES ), figure out, nobody likes this format. Nobody wants to see two top teams meeting in the 1st f***ing round, nor the second. The top teams should meet in the semi-finals or Cup finals , not in the 1st f***ing round you f***ing imbeciles.

So as far as things to love going forward, in spite of the Bruins embarrassment of riches as far as assets go, we will never be able to exploit them with the current state of incompetent officiating , and dumb ass administrators we have to deal with.

To answer your question , we have nothing to love going forward. Hate to pop the balloons on your parade but facts are facts .

Last edited:
Reactions: pemulis

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
People say Toronto and PHI. Don't forget Buffalo either. Adding Dahlin will be huge for them. They're a little further out obviously but they'd have some young studs too. This division is going to be a free for all in years to come. Loads of young talent floating around this division. There's quite a few young teams outside of those like Florida, even Carolina that add a few pieces and can be very dangerous.

I'd love to get Tavares, I'd dump Krejci for anything if we could add JT. Gives us a plan when Bergy is done.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Bruins need to integrate two forwards that have size and speed and one defenseman with size and good skating and they'll be good to go

When chara and Krejci are gone you have to hope some of those guys replace them for the better, the Bruins might need another center at the draft

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Future will be much greater when bruins will stop to trade youngsters for old garbages, nash and gionta was big errors, sweeny errors , he is responsible for that. If i was a gm i would call bruins every week, there is no better place to send deadwood and get very good young players.
Gionta in playoffs is terrible organisation thing
Gionta in OT is a shame and deep level of stupidity, how many yearsbruins understand this league belong to young players, fast with skills. This year was a breat step forward, but from the deadline they had a terrible fallback
Like all dependance they need to take it one day at the time and fight their illness

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Wow...we really do have short-term memory

- if you had told this board in October that the Bs would get to round two and be within a couple of blown calls of being tied 2-2 most people would have said no chance

- when the depth deals for Nash, Holden and Wingels were made ( remember Gionta was a no cost pick-up) the Board was almost unanimous in its approval. With the ( big) exception of Nash we got what we paid for. Clearly Nash has been a major disappointment but let's remember 80%+ of the Board was Cheering when the deal went down.

-our pipeline still looks strong... not elite but clearly strong...one strength of this organization has become the early on identifying of young talent...something we haven't seen in many, many years

In summary-we sure look a lot better positioned than a couple of years ago....is anything guaranteed...of course not...luck, injuries and skill progression are a complicated recipe for success ( before you add in expansion, the refs and any up- upcoming lock-outs) but this is a team that will keep me coming back next year and for years after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad