Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008
Why not let him play? Put him on double secret probation, and if he acts up, send him home. Maybe they can up his value and sell?
Johansen when the Flyers traded for Johansen, they received a 6' 2" center with 13 goals including 4 on the power play. based on the Flyers' poor power play and lack of depth at center, Johansen could have helped the team that crashed after the trade deadline—maybe made the playoffs.
why didn't this happen? Torts had Johansen in Columbus and had difficulty with Torts over benchings and health. even though Johansen said he would play for Torts, the coach said no because he is the power in the front office and he makes the decisions!

Reactions: BiggE and pooch

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Not every player needs to be a 200 ft player
In a time where the top guys are crushing a hundred points we don't have a ppg guy. Our guys yeah they need to be 200 ft players .
Gagne was a better player having played for hitch and these guys will be better having played for torts. Development is rarely rewarding for the coaches who do it.
Torts is a teacher and a motivator both things guys will need to fulfill whatever potential they have.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
In a time where the top guys are crushing a hundred points we don't have a ppg guy. Our guys yeah they need to be 200 ft players .
Gagne was a better player having played for hitch and these guys will be better having played for torts. Development is rarely rewarding for the coaches who do it.
Torts is a teacher and a motivator both things guys will need to fulfill whatever potential they have.

So our model to win a Stanley Cup is the 1999 Buffalo Sabres. I like it. We just need to find a generational goaltender and hope we have a better result, in a higher scoring era, of course. But it might just be crazy enough to work!

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So our model to win a Stanley Cup is the 1999 Buffalo Sabres. I like it. We just need to find a generational goaltender and hope we have a better result, in a higher scoring, or course. But it might just be crazy enough to work!
I was watching the third period of the Vancouver - Nashville game, where the Predators essentially remained in a soccer free-kick wall in front of Saros, and I thought, "Yeah, that's what the Flyers aspire to be doing in Round 1 of the playoffs."

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
did anyone recap the Nasty Knucks Frank S episode?

Basically Frank said…
-Guys are sick of Torts
-Coots scratch upset everyone
-Frank sort of insinuated that players also heard him call them soft after that Isles come back OTL
-In Hilferty’s ear and has a seat at the table for roster decisions
-No where for him to go for a front office roll
-8 Million reasons to not fire him
-Torts needs to self reflect and learn how to not “hit the big red button”
-Wrong coach for the team because hes an amazing coach who will squeeze 10-15 pts out of the team
-Flyers ended up in no mans land again - out of playoffs, not close to top of draft

Derek (who is legit the nicest guy ever and never wants to be overly critical)
-Also heard players were upset about the scratch
-Said Torts had to “own his behavior”

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
did anyone recap the Nasty Knucks Frank S episode?

-In Hilferty’s ear and has a seat at the table for roster decisions

Thanks for doing this. I love the way we all recap the podcasts we come across. It eases time pressure on everyone and it's appreciated.

Forget what we all individually think of Tortorella. There are always going to be situations where we can't agree on which side sounds more credible, but this is a different animal entirely. The coach functionally hired the GM. The coach is in Hilferty's ear. The coach is helping to make roster decisions. Can anyone make a serious case that this is a good thing? I don't see the angle of approach.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Thanks for doing this. I love the way we all recap the podcasts we come across. It eases time pressure on everyone and it's appreciated.

Forget what we all individually think of Tortorella. There are always going to be situations where we can't agree on which side sounds more credible, but this is a different animal entirely. The coach functionally hired the GM. The coach is in Hilferty's ear. The coach is helping to make roster decisions. Can anyone make a serious case that this is a good thing? I don't see the angle of approach.
He won a Cup. He knows how to win. He is the one that is teaching this organization to do it the right way.

*fartnoise.mp3*

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly

Nasty is legit the nicest dude ever. So generous and friendly to everyone - I’ve played with him and Riley and they are just salt of the earth people.

He is complimentary of everyone - he does the podcast to talk about hockey, have fun, catch up with friends, and I’m sure make some side income.

Him and Riley aren’t looking to crap on the Flyers, other teams, or other players - so I find it telling when they both kind of speak up on something, it speaks volumes to me.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
This narrative that Torts is an amazing coach that squeezes points out of rosters is f***ing hilarious. His results are as good as his goalies are cause his offense isn't getting it done.

The idea that he adds 10-15 points to a team seems kind of ridiculous. The 16-17 CBJ seemed like the only team he coached that outperformed their roster by any significant margin, but that might be due a Vezina winning goaltender having their peak season.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
The idea that he adds 10-15 points to a team seems kind of ridiculous. The 16-17 CBJ seemed like the only team he coached that outperformed their roster by any significant margin, but that might be do a Vezina winning goaltender having their peak season.
I can buy that he gets his teams to compete every night, and that will lead to wins sometimes that other teams may give up on. Effort is a real thing IMO.

But he's also god awful at lineups and deployment. How many overtime games did he loose because he put out the wrong players? How many times did Poehling play more than Frost? Why is DeLo in any game? How many games did he go 11-7?

So yea, I can buy 3-4 more wins than another coach, but he also washes those away with awful lineup decisions.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Torts hurts my feelings. I still love the flyers, but every once in awhile I wish it was the old flyers with a rack that was a little higher, an attitude that was a little dirtier, with the stamina and strength to destroy me four or five times a day.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can buy that he gets his teams to compete every night, and that will lead to wins sometimes that other teams may give up on. Effort is a real thing IMO.

But he's also god awful at lineups and deployment. How many overtime games did he loose because he put out the wrong players? How many times did Poehling play more than Frost? Why is DeLo in any game? How many games did he go 11-7?

So yea, I can buy 3-4 more wins than another coach, but he also washes those away with awful lineup decisions.
It's amazing that the talking heads in the media who love to fluff Torts don't take into account the Flyers being dead last in PP goals and having by far the worst OT record the past two years.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
One last podcast summary for me before I'm mostly MIA this weekend.

Charlie on Fedotov
-Bones of this extension were agreed when he was in Russia - agent basically told him "this is what he's making now, if you want him, this is the cost to get him"
-Thinks Flyers might be a little sentimental on him, and his circumstances, so it could be an overpay - also thinks Flyers fans might be a bit offbase on how good he actually is because of inflated save percentages in the KHL - and his numbers were like top 12ish or something? Not as good as you would think they actually were?

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Btw - I'm putting this in a separate post but...

I genuinely love PHLY Flyers, I think the production quality is great, they are up to date on their news - and they know the team inside out. Like Bill is a wealth of knowledge. He does his HW. I regularly listen to like 10 podcasts across all my teams (lol)I can't say that about everyone I listen too. It's clear when someone doesn't know.

I'm a huge Bill Matz guy, I align with his opinions hard. He is not on board with giving TK a big deal, and wonders how they are going to get top end talent without tearing this thing down. I understand Charlie isn't everyone's cup of tea and can be off-putting for some - but I think he's the best beat in this city. He is basically like one of two people in the locker room covering the team who uses advanced metrics and data to support his opinions. Kelly and JP provide nice value to the show too.

Maybe I'm overrating the show because there's not much else out there like this - but I really enjoy the coverage.

I'm also assuming that the Flyers coverage is also not as in demand as the Eagles, Phils, Sixers - there's just less people backed by a news outlet, or TV - doing shows like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad