Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
New offseason, new thread.

17. The coaching market is going to be fascinating. One thing I’m hearing: teams are trying to dial back the dollars. Both Don Granato and Darryl Sutter were let go before extensions kicked-in, which doesn’t make owners happy. We’ll see if they are successful — when you really want someone it’s harder to stay disciplined. There’s also a lot of talk about “experience.” For all of the end-of-season noise out of Philadelphia, it sure sounds like several teams are looking for John Tortorella-type coaches. It’s always a very fine line, and you cannot cross it, but the best teams do need to be pushed and hardened. This is a tough league to win in. This bodes well for Craig Berube. But there are a lot of strong names out there. This is a good time to be looking.

23. Flyers president Keith Jones said a few weeks ago moving Tortorella upstairs “is not something that has entered any conversation. He’s the coach and really good at it.” Even though they have to be disappointed the team fell short, Jones and GM Daniel Briere, who were mentally tough players, strongly believe what their young guys went through will benefit them in the long run.

“(Tortorella) is really important,” Jones added. “He’s outstanding at developing young players and developing accountability. Guys have thrived. And the players deserve a ton of credit, too. How well they get along, how cohesive they are, how much they hate losing and enjoy winning. These are all good signs from the inside.”

They are expected to announce a two-year extension for Ivan Fedotov at any time and Samuel Ersson took huge steps under less-than-ideal conditions. A lot of their young players, from Cam York to Morgan Frost to Foerster, improved their standing. Cam Atkinson made it sound like he will start anew in 2024-25, and the other one I wonder about is Joel Farabee.

24. Jones, who arrived in the Ed Snider/Bob Clarke days of, “The Flyers will not be ignored!” didn’t mind the cacophony. “Maybe we’ve learned something from the best,” he laughed. “We were uninteresting for a long time. No one can complain we are not in the news. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. As we build back our fan base, it’s not killing us to have some craziness.” As a media member, I’m okay with this. I think some of the players would prefer it be a little quieter, but that’s kind of Philly if you think about it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Also, Mike Sielski said on WIP with Glen Macnow (who announced he is retiring in July) today said he thinks Briere is looking at moving up in the draft, which is consistent with that was said last year, too.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
People always act like it's the NFL draft. Top 10 picks never get moved in non-player deals and rarely in player deals. A top 10 trade down swap hasn't happened since 2008.

You do have to appreciate the Flyers always wanting to pick higher.......after the season.....while not acquiring picks in volume to perhaps use in this scenario. #12 doesn't look like a bad spot; it's probably on the good side of a tier drop. Yes, I would like them to pick 3-5 spots higher, but that's the bed they've soiled. I mean made. I mean soiled.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
2008 was the islanders right? Think they got 2nd round picks to move down twice.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
2008 was the islanders right? Think they got 2nd round picks to move down twice.

Yes, the Isles traded down from 5th to 7th to 9th. Toronto traded to 5th for Luke Schenn. In a draft with Karlsson (15th), Carlson (27th), Josi (38th). There might be a lesson here, but I can’t quite figure it.

Oh, fun fact: Cliff Fletcher was the Leafs GM who traded up for Luke Schenn. Like father, like son.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yes, the Isles traded down from 5th to 7th to 9th. Toronto traded to 5th for Luke Schenn. In a draft with Karlsson (15th), Carlson (27th), Josi (38th). There might be a lesson here, but I can’t quite figure it.

Oh, fun fact: Cliff Fletcher was the Leafs GM who traded up for Luke Schenn. Like father, like son.
Haha that was such a stupid time. They fired JFJ, who was a buffoon, and then hired Cliff Fletcher to be a 19-month interim GM, and as they put it, ‘set the table’ for the next GM: Brian Burke.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
So… Atkinson has one more year. Do they plan on retaining on him? Or is it more likely they trade him for another broken toy hoping they recover?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Jesus Christ the answer was always right there!

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
So… Atkinson has one more year. Do they plan on retaining on him? Or is it more likely they trade him for another broken toy hoping they recover?
Wasting future cap on buying him out seems pointless. He can easily tie up next year's cap w/o any competitive issue, it might actually help the agenda. Plus it provides certainty for any other moves, vis-a-vis what salary for whom in what deal.

Knicks lead!!

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008
question #1: did the Ducks trade the Flyers an injured player?
question #2: did the Flyers not use due diligence in reviewing Drysdales medical records?
question #3 did the Flyers know that Drysdale had core muscle issues and traded for a player anyway?
question #4 did the Flyer panic and take the quickest deal available to them?
i beleve Biere has some questions to answer!!!

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
question #2: did the Flyers not use due diligence in reviewing Drysdales medical records?
question #3 did the Flyers know that Drysdale had core muscle issues and traded for a player anyway?
Yes

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't imagine someone trades for Atkinson unless they have a worse contract to dump and want to gain more cap space while still buying him out.

I don't mind if they trade Farabee if it's for a center or good assets. Even though he technically had a career year (his 2021 Covid year was better), he's petered out late in the season two years in a row now. Chuck had him untouchable, and he may fit the timeline, but I see him not fitting Torts and I wouldn't be surprised if he felt the same way. You either have to bet he can be a 70 point guy or bet that you can sell high now. The latter isn't a concept they understand.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Wasting future cap on buying him out seems pointless. He can easily tie up next year's cap w/o any competitive issue, it might actually help the agenda. Plus it provides certainty for any other moves, vis-a-vis what salary for whom in what deal.

Knicks lead!!
Personally, I would waive him to the Phantoms. If he does not like it, he could ask his contract be terminated thereby forgoing $5.8MM or he could "Ryan Johansen" himself -- "Coach I felt a twinge in my back". Him RoJo and Ellis on LTIR - $17-ishMM to go along with the Hayes and TDA buy-outs and the Peterson buried dollars. You could literally field about 3/4 of a team with that money.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
It is a bad look no matter how you view it. Especially, since the reason any one of those questions needing to be asked is because Briere created the situation in the first place. For me, this is worse than anything Fletcher has done, and he did some epically bad stuff.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Personally, I would waive him to the Phantoms. If he does not like it, he could ask his contract be terminated thereby forgoing $5.8MM or he could "Ryan Johansen" himself -- "Coach I felt a twinge in my back". Him RoJo and Ellis on LTIR - $17-ishMM to go along with the Hayes and TDA buy-outs and the Peterson buried dollars. You could literally field about 3/4 of a team with that money.
He can't go to the Phantoms if he's not cleared. I don't know why you'd want him on the Phantoms though.

Once he gets wind that someone will give him a chance, he'll magically get better just in time to get bought out. My bet is he'll have to take a tryout because it'll be his best chance to be made whole.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Charlie on Michkov:

Paraphrasing-

Something like…

Even if there is a chance he comes over early, after what the Flyers went through a lot with Fedotov - and more importantly what Fedotov went through - they are going to stay quiet and not make anyone mad

When he would check in re: Fedotov, team sources would tell him, “we dont want to rock the boat, the kid has been through a lot”. Flyers know doing business in Russia is difficult and different, and don’t want to piss a Russian oligarch off lol

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Charlie on Michkov:

Paraphrasing-

Something like…

Even if there is a chance he comes over early, after what the Flyers went through a lot with Fedotov - and more importantly what Fedotov went through - they are going to stay quiet and not make anyone mad

When he would check in re: Fedotov, team sources would tell him, “we dont want to rock the boat, the kid has been through a lot”. Flyers know doing business in Russia is difficult and different, and don’t want to piss a Russian oligarch off lol
not much of an issue with this approach. just let it play out for now then see what if anything changes.

this is also imo a chance for the flyers to possible create a working relationship with the Russian team or khl in general.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
not much of an issue with this approach. just let it play out for now then see what if anything changes.

this is also imo a chance for the flyers to possible create a working relationship with the Russian team or khl in general.
I don’t want to get my hopes up, but I sort of think he’ll be here in 2025-2026

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad