Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
People always act like it's the NFL draft. Top 10 picks never get moved in non-player deals and rarely in player deals. A top 10 trade down swap hasn't happened since 2008.

You do have to appreciate the Flyers always wanting to pick higher.......after the season.....while not acquiring picks in volume to perhaps use in this scenario. #12 doesn't look like a bad spot; it's probably on the good side of a tier drop. Yes, I would like them to pick 3-5 spots higher, but that's the bed they've soiled. I mean made. I mean soiled.
In my always inexpert opinion, it would seem to be a waste to expend assets to move up in this draft unless you are going to top 3. Just make the pick at 12 because there should be a very talented player left there. Also, please don't pick for type or fit with the Panthers' choice.

Scratch that; use the Flahr's fiht pick as draft capital to move up. May as well.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
In my always inexpert opinion, it would seem to be a waste to expend assets to move up in this draft unless you are going to top 3. Just make the pick at 12 because there should be a very talented player left there. Also, please don't pick for type or fit with the Panthers' choice.

Scratch that; use the Flahr's fiht pick as draft capital to move up. May as well.

I like this thinking. Trade Danny's 3rd this year and 2nd next year for Flahr's 1st this year. Then package Danny's 2nd this year with the newly acquired 1st from Flahr to move up a few spots and take BPA.

star-wars-hans-solo.gif

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
From what I was previously told on this board, Bettman blocked the KHL/NHL partnerships and “transfer fee agreements”?

I know MLS has done the same with the Russian Prem League. FC Dallas had an agreement in place to sell Jesus Ferreira for a big fee, club, and player agreed - I think to a Champions League level club, and MLS said “you can’t do business with them”.

Reactions: Larry44

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
From what I was previously told on this board, Bettman blocked the KHL/NHL partnerships and “transfer fee agreements”?

I know MLS has done the same with the Russian Prem League. FC Dallas had an agreement in place to sell Jesus Ferreira for a big fee, club, and player agreed - I think to a Champions League level club, and MLS said “you can’t do business with them”.
I think with the current world dynamic any sports league is not doing cash transactions to send players either way with any Russian team. Contracts will be waited out before the players can move between leagues.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
I don't know, frankly. I guess is depends what the league would say if the Flyers made the proposition.
Remember all of these other players were on expiring contracts or were under contract to the NHL club.

I think for optics of legality it has to appear that the player negotiated the buyout with the KHL club, the team cannot appear to have anything to do with it.

Reactions: Larry44

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
He can't go to the Phantoms if he's not cleared. I don't know why you'd want him on the Phantoms though.

Once he gets wind that someone will give him a chance, he'll magically get better just in time to get bought out. My bet is he'll have to take a tryout because it'll be his best chance to be made whole.
Atkinson's situation is mostly irrelevant next season, I think. There's a certain sunk cap cost for him...which is only a small of the total Flyer's already sunk-cap cost...so whatever happens to him, it can certainly be viewed from the Flyers viewpoint as "whatever the best fit is, without spending any more cap."

So buy-out seems pointless. Forced to play wherever the Flyers deem suitable seems likely. LTIR'd into cap assets seems fairly reasonable, doesn't every player at that age have sufficient injuries to warrant being LTIR'd? They're professional hockey players after all....if Kucherov and Stone(x2) can do it, Atkinson certainly has it in him. Hell, Ellis only needed 5 games to manage a career-ending story, for a team that wanted him to play! Atkinson can manage that for a team that doesn't want him to play..

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Atkinson's situation is mostly irrelevant next season, I think. There's a certain sunk cap cost for him...which is only a small of the total Flyer's already sunk-cap cost...so whatever happens to him, it can certainly be viewed from the Flyers viewpoint as "whatever the best fit is, without spending any more cap."

So buy-out seems pointless. Forced to play wherever the Flyers deem suitable seems likely. LTIR'd into cap assets seems fairly reasonable, doesn't every player at that age have sufficient injuries to warrant being LTIR'd? They're professional hockey players after all....if Kucherov and Stone(x2) can do it, Atkinson certainly has it in him. Hell, Ellis only needed 5 games to manage a career-ending story, for a team that wanted him to play! Atkinson can manage that for a team that doesn't want him to play..
A buyout is not pointless if you don’t want him here. That’s never a good situation. Kucherov and Stone can do it because they’re very important players. Atkinson is not. You’re not against the cap, so it’s fine to use it, the cap hits don’t hurt you.

Reactions: BernieParent

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Atkinson isn't just going to go on LTIR for the hell of it. If he's healthy to play, he'll want to play regardless of how bad he plays because he isn't just going to leave millions on the table and retire because fans don't want him here.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
A buyout is not pointless if you don’t want him here. That’s never a good situation. Kucherov and Stone can do it because they’re very important players. Atkinson is not. You’re not against the cap, so it’s fine to use it, the cap hits don’t hurt you.
makes sense. but I don't think 25-26 cap hits is worth getting rid of Cam Atkinson re culture considerations.
Atkinson isn't just going to go on LTIR for the hell of it. If he's healthy to play, he'll want to play regardless of how bad he plays because he isn't just going to leave millions on the table and retire because fans don't want him here.
I agree. He has one season of salary left to be paid, whatever happens to him.

But don't confuse LTIR with not getting his money. He gets his FLyer money in that case, going on LTIR...are you suggesting something different? Like, if he suggests he's an LTIR candidate, his NEXT contract is a worry?

Whatever. Atkinson is boxed in. He'll do whatever the Flyers say he should do.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
makes sense. but I don't think 25-26 cap hits is worth getting rid of Cam Atkinson re culture considerations.

I agree. He has one season of salary left to be paid, whatever happens to him.

But don't confuse LTIR with not getting his money. He gets his FLyer money in that case, going on LTIR...are you suggesting something different? Like, if he suggests he's an LTIR candidate, his NEXT contract is a worry?

Whatever. Atkinson is boxed in. He'll do whatever the Flyers say he should do.
You’re not competing in 2026, so who cares?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Didn’t the tone from Atkinson at his end of the year presser basically have that as someone who knows they’re not going to be here next year? If so a buyout is the only way that happens.
Well flyers bought out Weise just to give him an option to find a better fit and continue his nhl career, so you never know what sort of idiocy is gonna happen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
why prolong it, for the sake of 2025? who cares?
I already answered. You were asked the question. Why do you care about 2025-2026's cap number so much?

You aren't competing in 2025 so who cares to just keep him in the roster? Then you are done with it
Because both team and player believe it mutually beneficial to move on.

And it is. He does not have a spot here. And he does not want to end his career. It's time for him to go.

Last edited:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I already answered. You were asked the question. Why do you care about 2025-2026's cap number so much?

Because both team and player believe it mutually beneficial to move on.

And it is. He does not have a spot here. And he does not want to end his career. It's time for him to go.

Why can't they just play him on the 4th line? I'm sorry I just don't understand what the issue with that is

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
You’re not competing in 2026, so who cares?
26 should be what people fear this year was bubble team with an influx of young talent but at that point I'd like them to have cap flexibility in case they do need to add

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad