Dreger: Things heating up with jack eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Eichel does not want to stay.
Eichel wants out of Buffalo.
That's the worst case scenario. It already happened.

You cannot FORCE a player to perform against their will. You cannot just say, too bad you signed the contract. It does not work that way. What's the point in making claims about Eichel's character when he has made it clear that he wants out and Buffalo management are looking to trade him?
No the worst case scenario would be if Eichel was 1-2 yrs from unrestricted free agency and time was a major factor.

If Buffalo goes to Eichel and says teams are low balling them in their offers because his health is a question mark,if they explain he will need to play several months in a Sabres uniform to show other teams he is healthy,then I would expect Eichel to start next season on the Sabres roster, proving he is healthy.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Dude who wants to play for Buffalo now as it is? How much worse can their rep be? I’ve been a fan for my entire life, and I can tell you right now that nobody who is a fan of them Now thinks they have any type of reputation worth anything. Their best hope to be honest is the trade him, and all of a sudden get a lot better in a couple years because they play more like a team. Then their rep will build up…But seriously ask anybody who has a Sabres fan Who is being honest, and they will tell you their rep is horrendous already! I mean isn’t eichel already saying that with the whole surgery drama??

that’s why it’s important to move him as fast as possible. What the Sabres need now is a culture change to start happening immediately. You don’t want the same mess to happen to Dahlin/ Cozens the way Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto, feel. That’s the most important part. That would do more harm then good, and it makes Granatos job about righting the ship all that much harder. They are t going to wait years for a perfect deal.
The faster buffalo can move these 3 for solid assets the better off they are going to be going forward. They already held Risto for too long, I think that’s why Reinhart and especially Jack are more public with their comments.
But right now, Dahlin is their most important player, you absolutely can not have the same situation infect him and the important chips coming up behind him like Power, Cozens, Quinn, Mitts, etc. move on from the problem Quick as possible and start reshaping the room and the culture.
And I’m in no way saying trade the 3 for pennies either. But when a solid deal comes up, there far better served in tweaking it to a good deal for the Sabres, rather then holding out and holding out waiting for the perfect deal to come along. At this point that approach would do more harm then good.
Obviously, Eichel and Reinhart will both return 1st rd picks as part of their trades, with a little luck maybe they win the lotto and wind up getting Wright or Bedard and it quickens the pace of the rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2noone

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No the worst case scenario would be if Eichel was 1-2 yrs from unrestricted free agency and time was a major factor.

If Buffalo goes to Eichel and says teams are low balling them in their offers because his health is a question mark,if they explain he will need to play several months in a Sabres uniform to show other teams he is healthy,then I would expect Eichel to start next season on the Sabres roster, proving he is healthy.
Yeah, they just need a healthy, honest conversation to fix this mess... It's been a long time coming.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
that’s why it’s important to move him as fast as possible. What the Sabres need now is a culture change to start happening immediately. You don’t want the same mess to happen to Dahlin/ Cozens the way Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto, feel. That’s the most important part. That would do more harm then good, and it makes Granatos job about righting the ship all that much harder. They are t going to wait years for a perfect deal.
The faster buffalo can move these 3 for solid assets the better off they are going to be going forward. They already held Risto for too long, I think that’s why Reinhart and especially Jack are more public with their comments.
But right now, Dahlin is their most important player, you absolutely can not have the same situation infect him and the important chips coming up behind him like Power, Cozens, Quinn, Mitts, etc. move on from the problem Quick as possible and start reshaping the room and the culture.
And I’m in no way saying trade the 3 for pennies either. But when a solid deal comes up, there far better served in tweaking it to a good deal for the Sabres, rather then holding out and holding out waiting for the perfect deal to come along. At this point that approach would do more harm then good.
Obviously, Eichel and Reinhart will both return 1st rd picks as part of their trades, with a little luck maybe they win the lotto and wind up getting Wright or Bedard and it quickens the pace of the rebuild.

If I am Buffalo, it's gonna take more then " a solid return" to pry my 24 yr old franchise center away .
Eichel is 24, not 34.

Teams afraid of Eichel's health? Then they should look elsewhere for a franchise player.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If I am Buffalo, it's gonna take more then " a solid return" to pry my 24 yr old franchise center away .
Eichel is 24, not 34.

Teams afraid of Eichel's health? Then they should look elsewhere for a franchise player.
How long do you plan on holding injured disgruntled captain? Maximum would be a year. Adams isn’t dumb enough to let his NMC kick in next July. Also business wise, make his 7.5 mill bonus coming due, some other teams problem. How long do you want this soap opera festering around all these young impressionable guys? Especially when Granato finally has full control of the room and is trying to right the ship? Obviously they would like to send him west, what if there’s a better offer in conference? I would take it, Adams might see differently though

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The other issue is that Eichel is not healthy and there is a disconnect on how to resolve the health issue.

It's not as simple as proving he's healthy. The team and Eichel need to come to agreement on how to get him healthy. That does not appear to be an easy bridge to cross at this point.

Reactions: 57special

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
How long do you plan on holding injured disgruntled captain? Maximum would be a year. Adams isn’t dumb enough to let his NMC kick in next July. Also business wise, make his 7.5 mill bonus coming due, some other teams problem. How long do you want this soap opera festering around all these young impressionable guys? Especially when Granato finally has full control of the room and is trying to right the ship?
If necessary you hold him until the right deal comes along. As you said they still have a year until his NMC kicks in. I'm not all that concerned with your "soap opera" and "make the signing bonus another teams problem" points. The minute you start thinking like that you'll recreate the ROR situation except on an even larger scale. By all accounts Eichel is fine in that locker room and if you're an owner and you'll let a 7.5 million dollar signing bonus dictate what you do with a franchise player then you're a moron. I'm not saying you don't try to trade Eichel, but if the narrative from other GM's is the same as what we're seeing in here, you find a way to resolve the neck injury and re-evaluate when he's healthy.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How long do you plan on holding injured disgruntled captain? Maximum would be a year. Adams isn’t dumb enough to let his NMC kick in next July. Also business wise, make his 7.5 mill bonus coming due, some other teams problem. How long do you want this soap opera festering around all these young impressionable guys? Especially when Granato finally has full control of the room and is trying to right the ship? Obviously they would like to send him west, what if there’s a better offer in conference? I would take it, Adams might see differently though

Eichel's NMC kicks in after the 2021-2022 season,so he can open the season with Buffalo and prove he is healthy to other teams.
You act as if the Sabres are the only ones looking for a trade. Eichel has every reason to want to get a trade done, even if that means playing and showing that he is healthy.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Eichel's NMC kicks in after the 2021-2022 season,so he can open the season with Buffalo and prove he is healthy to other teams.
You act as if the Sabres are the only ones looking for a trade. Eichel has every reason to want to get a trade done, even if that means playing and showing that he is healthy.
I can see it working out this way, but there is the issue of the neck and how he wants to treat it... and the team's reluctance to go that route.

If rest and PT haven't worked then what? I don't think he's going to do the fusion surgery. BUF has recently said they haven't changed their stance on the replacement surgery. So how does that resolve to the point where he plays?

It will come to a head when training camp opens. Jack doesn't report and says he isn't healthy. The team DRs examine him and say he is. At that point it goes through the process as outlined in the CBA. Now this assumes Jack can find a doctor to say his neck isn't healthy to play NHL level hockey. But that probably isn't much of a challenge.

Once the NHLPA and the league get involved and there starts to be acrimony, that soap opera stuff does happen. Again, this in no way means BUF should get ripped off or make a deal that doesn't fit. But they've started this ball rolling and there is something to be said for organizational momentum. Once a group starts down a road it takes a lot to change that. Jack's going to be dealt and I really don't think it will be in November. Everyone wants to get this done, so it will be done.

Parm

Feb 24, 2019
Strome zac jones georgiev and 1st this year thats it
For eichel and his 10 mil, neck injury and hasn’t won anything to deserve more

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
People who think that the sabres will hold on to eichel to allow

1.) his NMC to kick In
2.) his 7.5 million bonus to be paid are just out to lunch. He is gone this year. Interesting to see for what

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I can see it working out this way, but there is the issue of the neck and how he wants to treat it... and the team's reluctance to go that route.

If rest and PT haven't worked then what? I don't think he's going to do the fusion surgery. BUF has recently said they haven't changed their stance on the replacement surgery. So how does that resolve to the point where he plays?

It will come to a head when training camp opens. Jack doesn't report and says he isn't healthy. The team DRs examine him and say he is. At that point it goes through the process as outlined in the CBA. Now this assumes Jack can find a doctor to say his neck isn't healthy to play NHL level hockey. But that probably isn't much of a challenge.

Once the NHLPA and the league get involved and there starts to be acrimony, that soap opera stuff does happen. Again, this in no way means BUF should get ripped off or make a deal that doesn't fit. But they've started this ball rolling and there is something to be said for organizational momentum. Once a group starts down a road it takes a lot to change that. Jack's going to be dealt and I really don't think it will be in November. Everyone wants to get this done, so it will be done.

I am not ripping Buffalo,but what's gonna happen if Eichel and the Sabres can't agree and he sits out?
They gonna miss the playoffs?
Fans going to blame them for demanding a high return for their 24 yr old franchise center?

I think there is pressure on both sides. How long is 24 yr old Eichel going to be happy sitting home, watching NHL games on his couch?

What teams stumble out the gate next season and are under pressure to make a big move?

Buffalo can't worry about short term, negative press.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
People who think that the sabres will hold on to eichel to allow

1.) his NMC to kick In
2.) his 7.5 million bonus to be paid are just out to lunch. He is gone this year. Interesting to see for what
His nmc kick in AFTER the 2021-2022 season.
While I think the Sabres owners are meddlers, they have also shown a willingness to spend. I can't agree that a signing bonus, is going to force Buffalo into accepting a mediocre return. Wishful thinking on the part of armchair GMs.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
While I think the Sabres owners are meddlers, they have also shown a willingness to spend. I can't agree that a signing bonus, is going to force Buffalo into accepting a mediocre return. Wishful thinking on the part of armchair GMs.

So they keep him for a year. To allow what? Him to pout? Lose another season? What’s the plan?

he wants out now. You think the return gets better?

unless people are really undervaluing him because of the neck. Which I am personally not

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
5 years and then Jack can walk as a free agent.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Strome zac jones georgiev and 1st this year thats it
For eichel and his 10 mil, neck injury and hasn’t won anything to deserve more

You people make me laugh. Offer your TRASH for a franchise player because he has a "neck injury" yet you still want him. Your offer is garbage. Laf+++

Reactions: normaliswear

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
So they keep him for a year. To allow what? Him to pout? Lose another season? What’s the plan?

unless people are really undervaluing him because of the neck. Which I am personally not

That is 100% happening.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I am not ripping Buffalo,but what's gonna happen if Eichel and the Sabres can't agree and he sits out?
They gonna miss the playoffs?
Fans going to blame them for demanding a high return for their 24 yr old franchise center?

I think there is pressure on both sides. How long is 24 yr old Eichel going to be happy sitting home, watching NHL games on his couch?

What teams stumble out the gate next season and are under pressure to make a big move?

Buffalo can't worry about short term, negative press.

Depends... how good is he feeling about his neck not just in the moment, but long term? Some think the neck issue is just a charade and he'll be 100% ready to go once he's trade to another team. If he is feeling 100%, yeah no way he "sits out" too long (again maybe just training camp to see if that forces the issue).

But if he is still feeling pain and is adamant about the route he wants to go, then that opens other avenues besides "sitting out". I think what everyone has to consider that with pro athletes in football and hockey, there is a very large grey area between "healthy" and "injured". He finds one doctor to say that he's injured and that buys him a few weeks in the minimum (until the league process takes place with a 3rd independent doctor, etc).

The whole point being- I just don't see either side kicking this to September. BUF ends up without #3 or 5 in the draft. Yes 2022 is a better draft, but if Eichel goes for a 2022 pick does that new team still finish bottom 5 or does he boost them in the standings (and if he doesn't.. maybe he's not worth trading a ton for). Sure BUF can still get an NHL ready prospect in the deal, but it's going to be hard for the Pegulas to deal Eichel and get back a player who isn't as good right now, and a pick that won't add to the roster until 2023 at the earliest as the 2 main pieces. I don't think the Pegulas have the stomach for another "rebuild".

Which absolutely makes you wonder why on earth they want to deal him in the 1st place?

Reactions: Seanaconda

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Most reports say that they dealt ROR to StL because of the bonus money being due.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

He is 5-6 yrs from unrestricted free agency. It's his decision if he wants help the Sabres and himself,by showing he is healthy and worth the Sabres high asking price.

Ask Snow if holding onto Hamonic until he got a great return,was worth a little negative press.
Then go ask Sakic if he cares about how fans and Duchene were wringing their hands , when he held onto Duchene longer then fans/Duchene liked.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad