Post-Game Talk: they tried pretty hard tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
My point being, Montreal, Boston, St. Louis can all fire their coaches but ours isn't being questioned hardly at all by the media in a "sports city" and now with the owner passing.....nobody should be safe on this team or front office.

The difference is that all those teams have rosters good enough to compete but were underachieving. That's not the case in Detroit.

Bringing in a new coach isn't a bad idea, but it's not the most glaring problem for the Wings right now. A great coach polishing this turd is only going to prolong management acknowledging the real problem.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
4.2 million is a good price for a player of his ilk that can score 23 goals.

'Can score 20 goals', no he can't. He scored 20 goals one time in his career, he'll be 30 this season. Abdelkader will be lucky to average 14 goals a year for the remainder of his contract.

Stop trying to deflect, this contract is horrible.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Is there a different way to look at Abdelkader this year? OK, so everyone sucks.

Abdelkader is 12th on the team in PPG. He's 7th among all forwards in ice time per game. His shooting percentage is 11th among all forwards. And he's scored 2 powerplay goals despite getting over 2 minutes a game.

Abby is the 3rd highest paid forward ($5.5 million dollars) this year (4th in cap hit) and his contract extends another 6 years. He's absolutely fair game.

You make over $5 million in salary and are struggling to keep a 25 point pace... how is calling that terrible a bias?

My thing is that even at a 4.25 caphit (Sidebar, actual salary should mostly be irrelevant to us fans. Only cap hits matter) he is paid to be a complementary skillset. When the team is **** the complementary pieces will clearly look like **** as well.

I think both Helm and Abdelkader are effective players. Referring back to the Ted Lindsay bit about winning battles in the corner, they are among the two best on this team. They bring grit, speed and some physicality. I think if people bothered to track puck battle statistics people could see there worth goes beyond goals and assists.

All of that said, this team, as it currently stands, does not need both on long term contracts let alone 1. In other words, I like both players, and am okay with their cap hit values but as the team has regressed their fit on this roster has dissolved.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Why is the term a problem when the general consensus here is Wings won't be making a hard push for the cup in 5 to 10 more years? Probably 7 years if EVERYTHING goes right and they get EXTREMELY lucky before they can compete for a cup.

So should the team give every veteran a 7 year deal? Or do you think it's possibly stupid to tie up roster spots and cap for long term for players who will likely be outright bad by the end of their guaranteed contract? The fact that it may take 5 years for the team to be good again has little to do with whether or not it's stupid for Abbie to have a career roster spot and an untradeable contract.

Thought the idea was losing for better draft picks? If Abby is so bad, then that should help solve that problem while still icing some hockey players with a compete level? You don't pay his salary, so why do you care how much he gets paid?

Non sequiturs. Whether or not I sign the checks has literally no relevance to anything. Nor have I suggested or implied that Abbie is a bad player or non-contributer right now. I'd ask, in return, why you're pathologically incapable of discussing what's actually being discussed?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
As for all the contract talk; majority of the contracts Holland hands out are horrible. I'm beginning to believe player agents walk in and say we want this and Holland goes "I'll do you one better and add 5 years to the term"

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'd argue that just one bad (under-performing) contract can hamstring a team in a big way. And the Wings are currently overpaying on nearly every single player we've got!

The Ladd contract for NYI or Backes in Boston could be hurting them in more ways than one. It lowers the bar on expectations. These higher paid players are given the bulk of ice-time regardless of output. With leaders that can't perform morale is effected and the competitive edge as a team could be weakened. I think it's just a bad scenario that trickles down throughout everything on and off the ice.

If we were to get a top draft pick we don't need them learning from Abdelkader. I'd rather somewhat skilled veterans who could also improve their game with young talent added. Say Nielsen or sort of like Pouliot in Edmonton. You want role models with elements of excellence, the ability to make plays and keep possession, etc.

Abbie as of now is a total wreck. He chases around trying to throw meaningless checks. He's either off-sides or colliding with players on the ice like an idiot. He's generating about 0 shots per game, almost no passes. So little of value that I see and I'm trying not to be biased. It's appearing to be a terrible contract and depressing to think of him locked onto the Wings for years to come. What a shame.

Last edited:

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
'Can score 20 goals', no he can't. He scored 20 goals one time in his career, he'll be 30 this season. Abdelkader will be lucky to average 14 goals a year for the remainder of his contract.

Stop trying to deflect, this contract is horrible.

The same is done with franzen. "He is a 30 goal scorer" umm no he did it once.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The same is done with franzen. "He is a 30 goal scorer" umm no he did it once.

Man, haven't had a good Franzen rap session in awhile. What do we want to do, guys? Is he a floater? Should Holland have bought out his deal? Kept Hossa?

I'm excited to get back in this groove.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Man, haven't had a good Franzen rap session in awhile. What do we want to do, guys? Is he a floater? Should Holland have bought out his deal? Kept Hossa?

They really need to get bigger on the blue line.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru

I think the Wings organization should have switched bodies with the Hawks organization, like Travolta and Cage in Face/Off. That way Hossa re-signs with the Wings and we win a Stanley Cup, guaranteed!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If we were to get a top draft pick we don't need them learning from Abdelkader. I'd rather somewhat skilled veterans who could also improve their game with young talent added. Say Nielsen or sort of like Pouliot in Edmonton. You want role models with elements of excellence, the ability to make plays and keep possession, etc.
But we have Nielsen. A guy like Abby can be a role model for Bertuzzi or Smith or other grinders/powerforwards coming up. Svechnikov even. It's also not just about on-ice excellence. You can have 10 Pavel Datsyuks on the team, it doesn't mean the other 2 forwards are going to learn the things that Datsyuk can do. But stacking the team with guys that have excellent work ethic off the ice and are good people off the ice will help bring young players up the right way. We know some of the young guys have been working out with Glendening for example. This is an element that fans don't see and know very little about, but anyone who has ever been part of a team know how important these things are.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But we have Nielsen. A guy like Abby can be a role model for Bertuzzi or Smith or other grinders/powerforwards coming up. Svechnikov even. It's also not just about on-ice excellence. You can have 10 Pavel Datsyuks on the team, it doesn't mean the other 2 forwards are going to learn the things that Datsyuk can do. But stacking the team with guys that have excellent work ethic off the ice and are good people off the ice will help bring young players up the right way. We know some of the young guys have been working out with Glendening for example. This is an element that fans don't see and know very little about, but anyone who has ever been part of a team know how important these things are.

I don't particularly like Abdelkader's contract, but I can't recall 1 game the last few years where I thought Abby was coasting or not giving 100%. That guy goes all out every time he is on the ice. So I do think he sets an example in that way, at least.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The Abdelkader contract was monumentally asinine before it was even inked. How can anyone even begin to defend that contract after it was consecrated? Are you kidding me? Everyone knows physical players coming off a good offensive season - regardless of how anomalous it is - earn a premium at the trade deadline. And, likewise, everyone knows that signing those same traditional grinders to fat contracts just because they struck offensive gold for a season or two while riding the coattails of a skilled center is going to blow up in a team's face.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Imagine trading Abdelkader, right now, for a late 1st round pick. Or a 2nd and a good prospect. If our GM and company had only looked at league-wide trends - followed the path to these kinds of contracts, which is riddled with red flags - we wouldn't have the Abdlkader Albatross but we would have something extra for the farm.

This contract, above all else, pisses me off the most because, of late, the NHL ticker has been filled with news about what teams are going to do with the contracts of the Bickells, the Burrows, the Clowes, the Clarksons, the Joneses, et al. of the league. But even then, its a matter of common sense that players who put themselves through the meat grinder to score goals aren't going to be worthy of long-term deals; I mean, their inherent value comes from the fact that they're willing to risk physical detriment to score goals! Its like taking a 7-year loan out on a truck you're planning to use in a rally!

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
The Abdelkader contract was monumentally asinine before it was even inked. How can anyone even begin to defend that contract after it was consecrated?

Fast forward to the second or third month post-Abdelkader:

"Why is it that the team doesn't have any physical forwards out on the ice? Every night the team just gets killed because none of the forwards have to worry about getting drilled! If Holland was a decent GM he'd have a physical guy he could play in the top 6 instead of all these 6 foot 185 pound waifs! Fire Holland!"

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Fast forward to the second or third month post-Abdelkader:

"Why is it that the team doesn't have any physical forwards out on the ice? Every night the team just gets killed because none of the forwards have to worry about getting drilled! If Holland was a decent GM he'd have a physical guy he could play in the top 6 instead of all these 6 foot 185 pound waifs! Fire Holland!"

Nope.

It's pretty easy to find big, physical and dumb grinders that can't even put up 20 points. Plus they won't cost you 4.25 million a season.

Also it's laughable to suggest that Gator makes opposing teams think twice about taking a big hit.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Ken Holland is an epic failure of a GM since the CBA so he'll probably get a contract extension.

Change CBA to ~2012 and you'd be right. Hollan built the 07-09 team the right way. Elite core, cheap homegrown young talent, cheap vets, smart trades and FA signings to bolster the roster.

It's the rebuild on the fly post 2012 where it all started going wrong. Paralyzing conservatism coupled with "safe" vets over developing youngsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad