Post-Game Talk: they tried pretty hard tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Fast forward to the second or third month post-Abdelkader:

"Why is it that the team doesn't have any physical forwards out on the ice? Every night the team just gets killed because none of the forwards have to worry about getting drilled! If Holland was a decent GM he'd have a physical guy he could play in the top 6 instead of all these 6 foot 185 pound waifs! Fire Holland!"

So your defense of Abdelkader's contract is to put words in the mouths of fans in some future scenario you invented?

This isn't just spoiled fans whining about Holland. Hockey media outside of Detroit have been questioning Holland's moves, the Helm and Abby contracts specifically. Those contracts were headscratchers, putting it generously.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Fast forward to the second or third month post-Abdelkader:

"Why is it that the team doesn't have any physical forwards out on the ice? Every night the team just gets killed because none of the forwards have to worry about getting drilled! If Holland was a decent GM he'd have a physical guy he could play in the top 6 instead of all these 6 foot 185 pound waifs! Fire Holland!"

:laugh::laugh: Sans Datsyuk, good ol' Abby has proved without a doubt that a contending team with a successful top 6 (even a playoff contender, let alone a Cup contender) would likely file a restraining order against him even sniffing a top 6 role. But sure, if you prefer to hold on to that pipe dream because it makes you happy, who am I to dissuade you to the contrary (besides the a voice of reason, obviously :)).

And if you're holding up Justin's contract as some kind of "last line of defense" of Holland... well, I'm thinking Kenny would probably prefer a different defense attorney.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Nope.

It's pretty easy to find big, physical and dumb grinders that can't even put up 20 points. Plus they won't cost you 4.25 million a season.

Obviously this year is the model for every subsequent year. Strong method!

Also it's laughable to suggest that Gator makes opposing teams think twice about taking a big hit.

I know, right? In today's NHL who pays attention to 220 lb forwards in the offensive zone? Pansies, that's who... am I right?

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
So your defense of Abdelkader's contract is to put words in the mouths of fans in some future scenario you invented?

Were you around here much in the mid '00's?

This isn't just spoiled fans whining about Holland. Hockey media outside of Detroit have been questioning Holland's moves, the Helm and Abby contracts specifically. Those contracts were headscratchers, putting it generously.

Hang on. Do you mean to suggest that Holland is making moves which can be questioned by media types? The devil you say.

If Abdelkader puts up the numbers he put up the last two years the contract is fine. He (and pretty much the whole roster) are having awful years, so the contract looks bad. No kidding people are criticizing the moves.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
:laugh::laugh: Sans Datsyuk, good ol' Abby has proved without a doubt that

He hardly played with Datsyuk last year.

And if you're holding up Justin's contract as some kind of "last line of defense" of Holland... well, I'm thinking Kenny would probably prefer a different defense attorney.

?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Obviously this year is the model for every subsequent year. Strong method!

So the NHL is trending towards "physical" forwards who can't put up 20 points per season as the wave of the future? Seems like a peculiar trend to say the least

I know, right? In today's NHL who pays attention to 220 lb forwards in the offensive zone? Pansies, that's who... am I right?

Besides keeping your head on a swivel when you're playing the puck behind the net... not a lot of reason to keep tabs on those guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad