Post-Game Talk: They don't like to make it easy

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Great game. Too much negativity in this thread. We dominated for 90% of the game and they got very lucky to not lose by a couple of goals. We made a couple of mistakes and they all ended up in the back of our net, that happens sometimes.

Lately we've been very good in terms of possession and overall play.
At times our offense looks really, really good. Like.. better than it has in many years.
And the defense has improved by leaps and bounds. Marchenko looks comfortable, DD-E are steady, and Green is playing like a top-pairing guy which is amazing to see.

Datsyuk-Richards just get eachother. They work really well. Pulkkinen... not so much. Wonder how Jurco would fit in there.

Larkin and Z are also a great duo. Z's pass on the goal... filthy. Abby complements them well.

Tatar is heating up and Gus has been good all year. Sheahan looks good when playing between wingers like them. That is our 3rd line right now? Now THAT is depth.

4th line kinda sucks. People like blaming Glendening, but Miller is my vote for worst forward of the season. He looks out of shape and just..out of it.

Our PP needs to get going though. We are never going to score more than 2 or 3 goals per game if we rely on ES scoring only. We need the PP to chip in at a higher rate. That is one of our biggest problems currently.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe he makes a mistake or two more, but I like the version of Kronwall who jumps up to create offense more than the conservative one. He can still be smart about it, but we need his offense.

Can't say enough of what Larkin means to this team already.

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
Tatar is the best "3rd liner" in the NHL.

Still nowhere near a complete game, but it sure was nice seeing some pucks go in. The Kronwall OT reminded me of Kindl against the Leafs. Goes from goat to hero.

-Larkin is unreal
-Howard allowed some softies
-Our "3rd line" dominated
-I really, really, really, really, really don't like the Datsyuk-Richards-Pulkkinen line. At all.

I liked Nyquist-Tatar combo tonight, so I would be in favor of trying:
Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Tatar-Larkin-Nyquist
Richards-Sheahan-Pulkkinen

I know its the lines won't change after a win, I just hate the current Datsyuk line.

pav, pulk, and richards has been a great possession line. goals will come.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The kids were good tonight as was the team. They have been playing a lot better for a while now. Points in six straight, lets keep this baby rolling.

Larkin
Tatar
Nyquist

So our record is improving with Datsyuk back

The Kids are going to score 10 goals each. They played a good game again except for those dumb Helm turnover and a soft Howard allowed goals.
Helm, Kronwall and Howard screwed it up.
Datsyuk only 3 points in 8 games....

he's looked great though. Hopefully the points will come.
Let's hope so.
Tatar is basically the next jiri Hudler
Tatar is better. Tatar is a goal scorer, Hudler is a playmaker.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
This team is a bit of a puzzle right now, performances have been generally good for a while now, certainly much better than that run after the 3-0 start, and yet there's always something stopping them from forming a good streak of wins/form. Individual mistakes are being punished to ridiculous degree while it seems to take a herculean effort from the team to get a goal/win, which just aren't coming easy so far. I keep hoping for corners to be turned but then we just keep getting obstructed by below par goaltending(rarely)/D/offence/luck, take your pick.

Its because we're not an elite team - happens in all sports. When we were dripping with elite talent we could put in a half assed effort and still pull out a win. When you're in the middle of the pack talent wise like we are, its not always enough to play well.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
The return of Pavel and Green has been the spark this team needed offensively. We played pretty well most of the game offensively.

Defense is still not playing at a level that can get us deep into the playoffs. I will say that Big E plays better without Kronner and Green is a great puck mover.

Happy for the win. We always seem to struggle more with the bottom teams- unexplainable

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Where is Datsyuk ?

Didn't show up on the scoreboard tonight, but he was all over the ice, doing Datsyuk things.

Only a matter of time before the points start coming.

If they're going to keep Pulkinnen with him, they need more of a dual threat on the line with him. Richards is maybe a little too pass heavy. On the other hand, Datsyuk and Richards make a natural 3rd line right now.

The 'kid' line is more of our 2nd, and while Sheahan may not put up crazy points he always seems to make a great anchor for Tatar and Nyquist. That line and the LAZ line should be left alone for now.

Time for Jurco to come back, I think. Sitting Pulk may not be the answer, but that line needs more of a spark plug than Pulk is. Jurco is a spark plug. No reason to sit Richards, but if he needed an old man day off, then Pulk-Dats-Jurco could be interesting. Jurco is enough of a scoring threat himself that it'll open up space for Pulk that Richards doesn't.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Didn't show up on the scoreboard tonight, but he was all over the ice, doing Datsyuk things.

Only a matter of time before the points start coming.

If they're going to keep Pulkinnen with him, they need more of a dual threat on the line with him. Richards is maybe a little too pass heavy. On the other hand, Datsyuk and Richards make a natural 3rd line right now.

The 'kid' line is more of our 2nd, and while Sheahan may not put up crazy points he always seems to make a great anchor for Tatar and Nyquist. That line and the LAZ line should be left alone for now.

Time for Jurco to come back, I think. Sitting Pulk may not be the answer, but that line needs more of a spark plug than Pulk is. Jurco is a spark plug. No reason to sit Richards, but if he needed an old man day off, then Pulk-Dats-Jurco could be interesting. Jurco is enough of a scoring threat himself that it'll open up space for Pulk that Richards doesn't.

I know you like Pulkkinen, but Richards is bringing a lot more to that line right now than Teemu. I really like the chemistry him and Datsyuk have, I would try Jurco with those two for a game or two when he gets back. Pulks is fumbling a lot of chances Datsyuk and Richards are making.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
You can never complain about two points, but this win doesn't exactly instill confidence. On the plus side, Green, Richards and Datsyuk are back and seem to be making a positive impact. The total lack of any offense from the 3rd and 4th lines, not to mention they aren't all that good defensively is a huge problem. The defense from 1-6 is subpar. No one is really contributing right now, with the exception of a few flashes from Green here and there.

Kudos to Kronner for seeing the situation for what it is. He wasn't smiling and jumping up and down when he scored. He knows he contributed to the tying goal and just before scoring almost made a fatal giveaway that really should have lost the game for the Wings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You can never complain about two points, but this win doesn't exactly instill confidence. On the plus side, Green, Richards and Datsyuk are back and seem to be making a positive impact. The total lack of any offense from the 3rd and 4th lines, not to mention they aren't all that good defensively is a huge problem. The defense from 1-6 is subpar. No one is really contributing right now, with the exception of a few flashes from Green here and there.

Kudos to Kronner for seeing the situation for what it is. He wasn't smiling and jumping up and down when he scored. He knows he contributed to the tying goal and just before scoring almost made a fatal giveaway that really should have lost the game for the Wings.

I thought it was a great effort again, wanted a little more in the third and the mistakes tonight wound up right in the back of the net save overtime where Kronwall deserves a little more credit in terms of his recovery when RNH whiffed on the bouncing puck with what turned out to be his only crack.

This team is starting to play the system more consistently this month. They are starting to look a lot better and more confident for large stretches of the game. They now have points in six straight games. They have had the decided edge in play against some very hockey teams. They have played well by in large for most of November. Yes I think we all know we need another D-man, but we are trending up right now and I like what I am seeing and I am in fact gaining a decent amount of confidence in this team so I disagree, but it is just my opinion. I have been plenty encouraged for the last two or three weeks.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
I know you like Pulkkinen, but Richards is bringing a lot more to that line right now than Teemu. I really like the chemistry him and Datsyuk have, I would try Jurco with those two for a game or two when he gets back. Pulks is fumbling a lot of chances Datsyuk and Richards are making.

I agree, hence why I said no reason to sit him. Pulk-Dats-Jurco might be a fun experiment if Richards needs a day off, but right now I'd much rather see Richards - Dats - Jurco.

That said, I don't see a guy that's messing up due to lack of effort or lazy play when I watch Pulkinnen. I see a guy that's trying to establish his game and trying to do too much. I'd say stick him on the 4th line. It's been an offensive black hole, and its use as a checking line is overrated. We have 3 lines with good two-way play. Its proper use should be as a reasonably safe energy line.

Pulk-Glendening-Helm would have fun potential on as an energy line. We've seen Pulkinnen generate some offense on his own; let him do it against weaker competition. The only way Glendening can do anything offensively is via messes in front of the net; Pulkinnen certainly sends enough pucks in that direction. Helm still has enough speed that Pulk's decent vision as a passer might be able to exploit that.

It may not work, but there's nothing about the 4th line that's particularly inspired the word "works" so far this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree, hence why I said no reason to sit him. Pulk-Dats-Jurco might be a fun experiment if Richards needs a day off, but right now I'd much rather see Richards - Dats - Jurco.

That said, I don't see a guy that's messing up due to lack of effort or lazy play when I watch Pulkinnen. I see a guy that's trying to establish his game and trying to do too much. I'd say stick him on the 4th line. It's been an offensive black hole, and its use as a checking line is overrated. We have 3 lines with good two-way play. Its proper use should be as a reasonably safe energy line.

Pulk-Glendening-Helm would have fun potential on as an energy line. We've seen Pulkinnen generate some offense on his own; let him do it against weaker competition. The only way Glendening can do anything offensively is via messes in front of the net; Pulkinnen certainly sends enough pucks in that direction. Helm still has enough speed that Pulk's decent vision as a passer might be able to exploit that.

It may not work, but there's nothing about the 4th line that's particularly inspired the word "works" so far this year.

Totally on board with trying that out, not sure when they will do it, but I completely agree with giving those lines a shot. In that scenario if I am Blashill I shift Helm back to center and Glendening out on the wing, they can shift after draws since Glendening is pretty good at them. In fact they can even play defensively with Glendening still at center where he has better gap coverage for the defensive zone. What I would do is the old Paul Kariya switch, aka when they hit the offensive zone Helm is in the more puck dominant traditional center role. He wheels around the zone and Pulks is the trigger man and a part of this is I think Glendening is the kind of guy that will go stand in front without flinching while Pulkkinen bombs away, it is just in his makeup.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

It instilled confidence for me. We thoroughly outplayed them almost the entire game. Just couldn't bury it as much as we should have. It happens in hockey. But they're playing the right way and I like this team much better than the one that was winning in regulation but only off the backs of incredible goalie performances by Howie and Mrazek.

Not sure what you mean by the lack of offense from the 3rd line. Are you considering the Sheahan or Datsyuk line as the 3rd? Because Sheahan's line produced a couple goals and Datsyuk's line looked dangerous.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
pav, pulk, and richards has been a great possession line. goals will come.

I agree, they're possesion has been great but i feel like they're missing a sharp shooter.. Pulky just doesn't cut it right now, but i would just keep it as it is since they are driving possesion and they haven't been a problem. I feel like pulky needs time to settle in this league and i think he'll eventually get it together, when jurco comes back i hope he's given a chance atleast to play with dats and Richards for a few games, because i wouldn't break up Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist after they had such a great game.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The total lack of any offense from the 3rd and 4th lines, not to mention they aren't all that good defensively is a huge problem. The defense from 1-6 is subpar. No one is really contributing right now, with the exception of a few flashes from Green here and there.
Big laugh at this being said after a game where Kronwall scored, Green was instrumental in setting up a goal by Nyquist, and Tatar scored. That's big contributions from both 3rd line and D.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Pulks is fumbling a lot of chances Datsyuk is making. I'm in the minority but both those two are holding back the magic man. I mean wow, Richards wins a battle or two or happens to convert a pass and he's somehow playing "great"? Richards is extremely mediocre IMO, and idc how many times Ken Daniels mentions how wonderful and effective he is I've seen way better with Pav. Hell David Clarkson could play as well with Dats. Pavel alone makes good things happen. Astounding he's always at the top in points while being anchored to guys like Cleary, Abdelkader, and Samuelsson.

I agree, they're possesion has been great but i feel like they're missing a sharp shooter.. Pulky just doesn't cut it right now, but i would just keep it as it is since they are driving possesion and they haven't been a problem. I feel like pulky needs time to settle in this league and i think he'll eventually get it together, when jurco comes back i hope he's given a chance atleast to play with dats and Richards for a few games, because i wouldn't break up Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist after they had such a great game.

No to Jurco being gifted time on the 2nd line or trying to switch Helm up there like we saw for one shift last game. Also folks saying how terrific the 3rd line played... um do you mean Tatar and Nyquist? Sheahan is just there. Not hating, but his game is merely average. We've witnessed like 15 different combinations of forward lines already this season there is no reason (even with a win) they can't change again.

My whole point of discussion is to plead a case for a 2nd line of Nyquist- Datsyuk- Tatar, now that is a fun line! Dump Richards with Sheahan and Pulks/Jurco. They can hold their own while we watch what could be one of the most exciting lines in the NHL and Datsyuk finally has the support he deserves.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kindl and Jurco playing tomorrow. Should be Smith and Miller/Pulkkinen sitting.

Last edited by a moderator:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The team is finally getting its **** together, looking good in a new system and looking good on the advanced stats. The Oilers were lucky to get a point last night, the loss to the Bruins was dominated by the wings and in general they have looked very good the last 8 games or so.

The wings are gonna be fine and some of you are going to be wearing egg on your face because of it

Last edited by a moderator:

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Were the better team but the inability to convert on chances nearly cost another game. Completely dominated the game for nearly the entire thing and was still on the verge of losing it in OT and even the late bit of regulation.

Howard didn't provide anything stellar. D was good for the most part as was Larkin, Nyquist, Green and Tatar. Pulks another disappointing effort, he is killing his PP more than he helps

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Edmonton is not as bad as their record indicates, just like Anaheim, Columbus, and Carolina.

Agreed, they all have talent and if they put it together for 20 min they can hurt you. It's really hard to dominate entire games in the NHL. There are usually swings in momentum. It's important not to do stupid stuff to make it worse for yourself when the momentum is with your opponent. The wings haven't been great at that.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
You are what your record says you are.

That's not always true. PDO and puck luck have a huge amount of impact on team's standings. Calgary, for instance, was not nearly as good as their record indicated last year, same with Anaheim and Colorado the year before.

That is a simplistic, narrow way of looking at things.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
It is what it is. You can overanalyze everything to the end of time and say this team should do this and that team shouldn't do that, but ultimately, your W-L record is the only thing that matters. Every team is going to win games when they play poorly and lose games they play well, but when it comes down to it, the cream rises to the top.

The Wings are a below average team offensively and a poor team defensively with solid goaltending and are a borderline playoff team. They are what we thought they were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad