Value of: These Leaf players

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Did you hear Ray Ferraro's take on the advanced stat guys trying to paint Ceci as a good defender? It's good stuff.

The Oilers need Larsson to make the playoffs and to have any hope of winning any games there. Can the Leafs say the same thing about Ceci? Think about that for a moment and then decide if they are the same level of player.

It has nothing to do with Ceci being a good player; Ray was way off base with his comments. The advanced stats community was aware of Ceci's ineptitude long before the mainstream media was willing to accept it.

The fact remains that they both kind of suck.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Id have interest in Kerfoot, Johnson and Kapanen from a sharks perspective. Think Dillon,Dell and a pick could probably get one.

I'm thinking Kerfoot could be has for a 2nd round pick in the offseason.

EDIT Didnt see he meant if they missed playoffs, maybe a second for one of them?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Kapanen has significantly more value and Friedman basically confirmed as much in his 31 Thoughts saying that there is a lot of Kapanen chatter around the league, but TO is not moving him unless it is in a "big deal" that improves the team in a huge way. Not to mention Larsson just isn't a Dubas style of player.

For the life of me I do not understand why Kapanen is held in such high regard. He is a 20 goal/40 point winger that benefits from playing on a gifted offensive team(65.22 EV P1% this season). Outside of his great speed he seems to be a fairly typical 2nd line winger which is awesome to have, but I just can't imagine teams looking into "big deals" centered around acquiring Kapanen.

He seems more like a luxury piece rather than a game changer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For the life of me I do not understand why Kapanen is held in such high regard. He is a 20 goal/40 point winger that benefits from playing on a gifted offensive team(65.22 EV P1% this season). Outside of his great speed he seems to be a fairly typical 2nd line winger which is awesome to have, but I just can't imagine teams looking into "big deals" centered around acquiring Kapanen.

He seems more like a luxury piece rather than a game changer.

I don't think Kapanen's the type who will land you the "big fish" in return, but I think his value is in the fact he can manufacture his own offense from the bottom six and doesn't have to play with a skilled center to do so, thus providing the ideal depth scoring most teams want from their bottom six.

I also wonder if people see his raw tools and wonder if with a bit more development/experience, some of his limitations can be fixed (ie. tunnel vision). A guy like Bryan Rust in Pittsburgh used to have the same sort of flaws in his game (ie. seemed to be a one man army out there, didn't play off his linemates enough), but has blossomed into a guy who now sees the ice better and uses his teammates much better, and the production increase shows.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don't think Kapanen's the type who will land you the "big fish" in return, but I think his value is in the fact he can manufacture his own offense from the bottom six and doesn't have to play with a skilled center to do so, thus providing the ideal depth scoring most teams want from their bottom six.

I also wonder if people see his raw tools and wonder if with a bit more development/experience, some of his limitations can be fixed (ie. tunnel vision). A guy like Bryan Rust in Pittsburgh used to have the same sort of flaws in his game (ie. seemed to be a one man army out there, didn't play off his linemates enough), but has blossomed into a guy who now sees the ice better and uses his teammates much better, and the production increase shows.
If he could process the game as fast as he skates, he'd be a top line player, because some of his other tools are borderline elite (skating, 1 on 1 ability, etc.).

He's also 23, signed to a cheap deal with term, shoots RH, and will still be an RFA at the end of his current contract - everyone's on the hunt for this type of player. He's a cost controlled asset that has very rare attributes and a high pedigree, so he has more shine to his name than, say, a Johnsson would.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

Yeah, I agree with you on most points. He is definitely a high end bottom 6 forward, but I have seen people saying he is worth at minimum a good top 4 defenseman with term. That was where I was questioning his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad