Value of: These Leaf players

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Let me start by saying I believe the leafs will make the playoffs. With that being said what would your team offer for these leaf players if the leafs fall out of the playoff race before the trade deadline.

LD Jake Muzzin
RD Tyson barrie
RD Cody Ceci
C Jason spezza
C/LW Alex kerfoot
RW Kasperi Kapanen
LW Andreas Johnson

Leafs would be looking for picks, prospects or a decent defense first RD signed through atleast next year.

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Let me start by saying I believe the leafs will make the playoffs. With that being said what would your team offer for these leaf players if the leafs miss the playoffs ?

LD Jake Muzzin
RD Tyson barrie
RD Cody Ceci
C Jason spezza
C/LW Alex kerfoot
RW Kasperi Kapanen
LW Andreas Johnson

Leafs would be looking for picks, prospects or a decent defense first RD signed through atleast next year.

:huh: If this is the end of the season half those guys are free agents.

If the question is about moving them if the Leafs are trending down come the deadline I still highly doubt the team starts selling.

Reactions: TFHockey

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
:huh: If this is the end of the season half those guys are free agents.

If the question is about moving them if the Leafs are trending down come the deadline I still highly doubt the team starts selling.
I changed the wording. Thanks for pointing it out.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Let me start by saying I believe the leafs will make the playoffs. With that being said what would your team offer for these leaf players if the leafs miss the playoffs ?

LD Jake Muzzin (UFA)
RD Tyson barrie (UFA)
RD Cody Ceci (UFA)
C Jason spezza (UFA)
C/LW Alex kerfoot
RW Kasperi Kapanen
LW Andreas Johnson

The UFA guys, assuming they are healthy at the TDL are purely rentals. They won't get you a ton.

Many posters feel that a Larsson for Kapanen swap is fair, but it would probably happen in the offseason because the Oilers will need Larsson in the playoffs.

Reactions: GOilers88

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Id have interest in Kerfoot, Johnson and Kapanen from a sharks perspective. Think Dillon,Dell and a pick could probably get one.

EDIT Didnt see he meant if they missed playoffs, maybe a second for one of them?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The UFA guys, assuming they are healthy at the TDL are purely rentals. They won't get you a ton.

Many posters feel that a Larsson for Kapanen swap is fair, but it would probably happen in the offseason because the Oilers will need Larsson in the playoffs.
Larsson would be a 1 year rental at that point and no longer worth it for the leafs to trade kapanen for him.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I really think Muzzin will re-sign. Johnsson is probably available, thus rendering Kapanen unavailable. Not so sure Kerfoot is available either, unless another C is coming back.

I also think they will make playoffs, but in the very realistic scenario that they do not, it's going to be hard to say who they would make available with the deadline being so far away from "playoffs". Taking a big gamble (either way) making a big splash at deadline day, but then you risk losing Spezza, Ceci and Barrie for nothing as UFAs. Does a team like the Leafs really want to retool with futures in their situation......is this essentially saying "we don't have confidence in this group to go far"?

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Id have interest in Kerfoot, Johnson and Kapanen from a sharks perspective. Think Dillon,Dell and a pick could probably get one.

EDIT Didnt see he meant if they missed playoffs, maybe a second for one of them?
Are they both ufa after this season ?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I really think Muzzin will re-sign. Johnsson is probably available, thus rendering Kapanen unavailable. Not so sure Kerfoot is available either, unless another C is coming back.

I also think they will make playoffs, but in the very realistic scenario that they do not, it's going to be hard to say who they would make available with the deadline being so far away from "playoffs". Taking a big gamble (either way) making a big splash at deadline day, but then you risk losing Spezza, Ceci and Barrie for nothing as UFAs. Does a team like the Leafs really want to retool with futures in their situation......is this essentially saying "we don't have confidence in this group to go far"?
Futures for the ufa's makes sense and may even make sense for one of johnson or kerfoot. The leafs don't need to keep all the picks, they can use some of the picks to address the Defense at the draft.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Larsson would be a 1 year rental at that point and no longer worth it for the leafs to trade kapanen for him.

I don't think players with a full year left on their contracts dealt in the offseason are seen as rentals. Toronto would have a whole season to evaluate Larsson and decide what they want to sign him at.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Dubas certainly has his work cut out for him. I think he will sink or swim with what he has. I wouldn’t expect him to sell rentals. He paid too high a price for this season with the Kadri and Marleau trade. If he can overpay on someone saving this season I think he will.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

The only posters that think Larsson for Kapanen is fair are Oiler fans. Leaf fans want no part of that.

Kapanen has significantly more value and Friedman basically confirmed as much in his 31 Thoughts saying that there is a lot of Kapanen chatter around the league, but TO is not moving him unless it is in a "big deal" that improves the team in a huge way. Not to mention Larsson just isn't a Dubas style of player.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

Yeah, I think its pretty unlikely the Leafs are far enough out to consider selling. Spezza also probably won't return anything so we may as well keep him because he's been quite good. Ceci? Eh, whatever. Barrie's the only one that a discussion about makes sense but we already sort of got him as a high priced rental so there would have to be no chance of playoffs for him to move on. Agree with Muzzin re-signing and the takes on the other players.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The only posters that think Larsson for Kapanen is fair are Oiler fans. Leaf fans want no part of that.

Kapanen has significantly more value and Friedman basically confirmed as much in his 31 Thoughts saying that there is a lot of Kapanen chatter around the league, but TO is not moving him unless it is in a "big deal" that improves the team in a huge way. Not to mention Larsson just isn't a Dubas style of player.

Yeah, Leaf fans generally seem in favour of a Johnsson/Larsson swap if anything.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Futures for the ufa's makes sense and may even make sense for one of johnson or kerfoot. The leafs don't need to keep all the picks, they can use some of the picks to address the Defense at the draft.

This seems like an endless debate for us Leafs fans though. Even back to JVR and Bozak. That team was in the playoffs, and could have gone farther than they did. Yet there was people complaining that they didn't sell these guys for picks/prospects at the deadline. Hindsight now says that yes, they probably should have only because they got bounced first round. It's frustrating situation to be in though.....but teams going for it, just don't sell off contributing players (UFA or not) for a playoff run. It's like a perpetual rebuild philosophy in a way isn't it..... It's also management saying "Sorry guys, we don't think you can get beyond round 1.". Fans might think like that...but management teams certainly don't, players don't (if they do, then ship them away from your team).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I think you are off your rocker... but if you don't want Larsson, that's cool.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Are draft pick transactions dealt with the same rules as players.....eg.... Team A trades Johnny Goalscorer to Team B for whatever.... Team A CANNOT re-acquire him for an entire calendar year from Team B. Is a draft pick the same?

So...that being said....if Carolina wanted say Kapanen from Toronto - could he be dealt for Toronto's 1st that they traded to Carolina to take Marleau?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I do not for a second think that the Leafs will sell. But in the name of discussion, here's my answers.

Muzzin and Barrie would be the two best rental defenders on the market. 1st plus a small add for either of them.

Cody Ceci is yours if you want him. Playoffs or not, tbh.

Spezza is probably yours for a 5th.

Kerfoot - Can't see him going anywhere unless we get a 3C coming back. I'm not attached to him by any means, but I don't think he's ultra valuable so there's no real point to selling. 2nd and a halfway decent prospect.

Johnsson - 25 years old on a reasonable contract with some term, scored 20g last year but is having a bad year with production and injuries. The most likely to get moved IMO, I think he's worth two 2nds. Plenty of demand for a decent young depth scorer on a good contract, but not the kind of guy that anyone will break the bank for. For a team that wants someone to plug into their second line on the cheap, he'd be a great pickup.

Kapanen - Far and away the most valuable of the three comparable guys IMO, the other responses in this thread give you an idea of the demand there would be for him. The team acquiring him should beware if they're planning on getting a top6 forward, but anyone expecting him to bring speed and talent to their third line and PK is going to be absolutely thrilled. 23 years old, term on a cheap contract, and 20 goals last year. He's worth a mid first at least, but I think it would take an overpay kind of add to pry him loose.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad