Value of: These Leaf players

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the Leafs want Defensive players with term back in a trade for Muzzin or Barrie?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the Leafs want Defensive players with term back in a trade for Muzzin or Barrie?

Seems that way to me.

Sorry to break it to you, but that's the quality of player Larsson is.

I think you don't know what you are talking about.. but I admit as an Oiler fan I might be biased. I don't take a lot of shots at other teams or players.. I think Kapanen is a fair return on Larsson. And based on your reply I have my doubts you watch any Oiler games at all.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
The only thing you have broken to me is that you don't have the faintest idea what you are talking about.

They have virtually identical game scores, GAR, xGAR, xGF/GA rel, shot metrics, and context (QoC is higher for Ceci, but Larsson starts more often in the defensive zone) over the last two seasons.

The only difference between the two is reputation; in reality, they're both #5's.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
They have virtually identical game scores, GAR, xGAR, xGF/GA rel, shot metrics, and context (QoC is higher for Ceci, but Larsson starts more often in the defensive zone) over the last two seasons.

The only difference between the two is reputation; in reality, they're both #5's.

Sure they are.

Reactions: TFHockey

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If the TML are on the outside looking in at the TDL these are the players I would deal if I was Dubas:

Barrie=1st plus small add
Muzzin=1st plus small add
AJ=2nd x2
Kerfoot =2nd
Spezza =5th
Ceci=4th ish if we eat 50%

Hutch gets 50% of starts and we tank hard.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If the TML are on the outside looking in at the TDL these are the players I would deal if I was Dubas:

Barrie=1st plus small add
Muzzin=1st plus small add
AJ=2nd x2
Kerfoot =2nd
Spezza =5th
Ceci=4th ish if we eat 50%

Hutch gets 50% of starts and we tank hard.

I think you might be draft pick happy.

You are selling low on Barrie, D like him get insane deadline returns plus his cap hit adds value.

Silly to trade Kerfoot and AJ just for kicks.

Classless to trade Spezza knowing he played for nothing to help our cap problems and to play at home. Unless of course he wants to be traded.

We cant afford to retain on anyone.

Dude you're fired.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Let me start by saying I believe the leafs will make the playoffs. With that being said what would your team offer for these leaf players if the leafs fall out of the playoff race before the trade deadline.

LD Jake Muzzin
RD Tyson barrie
RD Cody Ceci
C Jason spezza
C/LW Alex kerfoot
RW Kasperi Kapanen
LW Andreas Johnson

Leafs would be looking for picks, prospects or a decent defense first RD signed through atleast next year.
Johnsson for Stecher/Juolevi?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I think you might be draft pick happy.

You are selling low on Barrie, D like him get insane deadline returns plus his cap hit adds value.

Silly to trade Kerfoot and AJ just for kicks.

Classless to trade Spezza knowing he played for nothing to help our cap problems and to play at home. Unless of course he wants to be traded.

We cant afford to retain on anyone.

Dude you're fired.

If we get more for Barrie then great. There is talk we might have as much as 4-5 due to LTIR, I have no idea how it works but if they can retain then do it. Look by trading Kerfoot and AJ it gives us more cap space and the ability to retool a touch. The idea of potentially having 2-3 first rounders (if it’s a top 10 we keep ours and defer to 2021) is appealing to me as I don’t think our team is good enough to compete for a SC as constructed. Also trade Dermott for another high end pick or a player like Ritchie from the Ducks. Hear me out on this idea.

We keep our own top 10 plus two more firsts in what they say is one of the deepest draft. Depending on where we end up draft we grab the likes of

Drysdale-if we get lucky and end up at 3
Askarov-if inside the top 10
Barron
Schneider

We are now stacked with RHD prospects and or also have one of the best goalie prospects to go along with Woll and Scott.

Resign Mikheyev
Resign Muzzin
Resign Engvall
Sign Pietrangelo
If Signing Pietrangelo fails go after Hamonic or try a trade for Manson
Go after DeSmith, Jarry or Georgiev
Sign Grigorenko-apparently Dubas has been courting him
Sign Girgenson

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev JT Nylander
Engvall Grigorenko Kapanen
Moore Girgenson Korskov

Reilly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

Andersen
Georgiev/DeSmith/Jarry

We have a much bigger, more physical and skilled 3rd and forth lines IMO. Mikheyev is exempt from the expansion and depending on what Dubas does with Grigorenko it might be a show me deal so he wouldn’t need to be protected either meaning (AM, JT, Marner, Nylander, Kap, Hyman and Engvall are all protected). Our D actually becomes something to be proud of and the only players that need to be protected are Reilly, Pietrangelo and Muzzin. It means that Holl is likely exposed.

We expose bit players who if we want to keep are likely to be relatively cheap to buy Seattle’s selection.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If we get more for Barrie then great. There is talk we might have as much as 4-5 due to LTIR, I have no idea how it works but if they can retain then do it. Look by trading Kerfoot and AJ it gives us more cap space and the ability to retool a touch. The idea of potentially having 2-3 first rounders (if it’s a top 10 we keep ours and defer to 2021) is appealing to me as I don’t think our team is good enough to compete for a SC as constructed. Also trade Dermott for another high end pick or a player like Ritchie from the Ducks. Hear me out on this idea.

We keep our own top 10 plus two more firsts in what they say is one of the deepest draft. Depending on where we end up draft we grab the likes of

Barron
Schneider

We are now stacked with RHD prospects and or also have one of the best goalie prospects to go along with Woll and Scott.

Resign Mikheyev
Resign Muzzin
Resign Engvall
Sign Pietrangelo
Sign Girgenson

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev JT Nylander
Moore Girgenson Korskov

Reilly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

Andersen
Georgiev/DeSmith/Jarry

We have a much bigger, more physical and skilled 3rd and forth lines IMO. Mikheyev is exempt from the expansion and depending on what Dubas does with Grigorenko it might be a show me deal so he wouldn’t need to be protected either meaning (AM, JT, Marner, Nylander, Kap, Hyman and Engvall are all protected). Our D actually becomes something to be proud of and the only players that need to be protected are Reilly, Pietrangelo and Muzzin. It means that Holl is likely exposed.

We expose bit players who if we want to keep are likely to be relatively cheap to buy Seattle’s selection.
I see what you are saying, our forward group does look like it could take the hit. That said, moving good players on the hopes of signing better is a dangerous game and an improbable strategy for an NHL GM. I love Petro but he just won a cup and is on the top team in the league right now, probably wants to stay.

You seem to be more of a EA sports kind of GM. You're still fired :P

Last edited:

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004

Barron
Schneider

Resign Mikheyev
Resign Muzzin
Resign Engvall
Sign Pietrangelo
Sign Girgenson

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev JT Nylander
Moore Girgenson Korskov

Reilly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

Andersen
Georgiev/DeSmith/Jarry

Why are you not looking at the elephant in the room. We have 4 elite players consuming 40M of cap space. Move one. I would like to move JT, never should have sjgned him in the first place, but me thinks he has a NMC. Nylander contract starting to look sweet. That leaves Marner or Matthews
Or we keep shuffling the deck and stay the course of mediocrity.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why are you not looking at the elephant in the room. We have 4 elite players consuming 40M of cap space. Move one. I would like to move JT, never should have sjgned him in the first place, but me thinks he has a NMC. Nylander contract starting to look sweet. That leaves Marner or Matthews
You're right. Moving one of those 4 is the solution. Personally I don't see us trading a C and I don't want to. Trading a RW makes sense since Kap should be on a 2nd line. Dubas seems pretty invested in this type of roster though so we'll see.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I see what you are saying, our forward group does look like it could take the hit. That said, moving good players on the hopes of signing better is a dangerous game and an improbable strategy for an NHL GM. I love Petro but he just won a cup and is on the top team in the league right now, probably wants to stay.

You seem to be more of a EA sports kind of GM. You're still fired :P

Yes but the GM of STL signed an extension with Faulk before locking up their Captain, not a good look. Just saying he may take that as slight against him and look elsewhere. If that fails we likely have some amazing trade chips for a win now player like Manson who IMO be the perfect D man to anchor the first line. Signed for another two seasons and relatively cheap.

Your right about looking at “potential” signings, it’s a crap shoot but this team is not a contender as is constructed.

I think all my valuations are reasonable or undervalued. Plus this is pure fantasy. I know more than likely our GM burns more assets and we flounder yet again.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Sure they are.

Did you hear Ray Ferraro's take on the advanced stat guys trying to paint Ceci as a good defender? It's good stuff.

The Oilers need Larsson to make the playoffs and to have any hope of winning any games there. Can the Leafs say the same thing about Ceci? Think about that for a moment and then decide if they are the same level of player.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
I could see the leafs trading Barrie.
But I think Muzzin gets resigned.
I could see a trade happen at the draft for a similarly aged defender using A) whatever we got in the Barrie trade, and B) Kapanen / AJ.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Or let Dubas try and fix the defence without having to move one of the 4 forwards. I know people don’t think it’s possible but how long have they been signed together. Winning a cup is a process.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
You're right. Moving one of those 4 is the solution. Personally I don't see us trading a C and I don't want to. Trading a RW makes sense since Kap should be on a 2nd line. Dubas seems pretty invested in this type of roster though so we'll see.
I agree completely. Much as I would hate to see Marner go, he would/could bring back a Kings Ransom. You could add a 6 million Top 6 forward and a 6 million top 3 D man for the price of Marner or thereabouts. No, Marner will not land you both of these, but you have the flexibility to address weaknesses. A Marner plus for a Seth Jones for example or a Marner for a Dougie Hamilton. And them sign a 5 million winger or a 2.5 million 3rd line center.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Did you hear Ray Ferraro's take on the advanced stat guys trying to paint Ceci as a good defender? It's good stuff.

The Oilers need Larsson to make the playoffs and to have any hope of winning any games there. Can the Leafs say the same thing about Ceci? Think about that for a moment and then decide if they are the same level of player.

Ceci plays more minutes against harder competition and has allowed 2 more goals against in 22 more games. I guess Larsson hits more so he's got that going for him when he's not too busy getting scored on.

That's not to say Ceci is a good D. Neither of them are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad