Therrien - (Still?) Into the Playoffs Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He had everything to do with telling his team not to panic, that he believed in them, and to just play their game. Not making any panic lineup decisions speaks to this. Im not the only one who felt they were the better team last night as well.

He had them get out there and dictate the tempo right out of the gate, and they got to Bishop and eroded his confidence.

But you go ahead and believe what you want.

You mean playing like we should have been playing all year long?
If we had done so, it's likely we would have avoided going through that long stretch of miss-firing because we suddenly turned our game upside down. Who would have guessed...

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
If we had done so, it's likely we would have avoided going through that long stretch of miss-firing because we suddenly turned our game upside down. Who would have guessed...

Exactly!

Even the NBC announcers admitted that Montreal's "attack-first" style was in marked contrast to how they've been playing the entire series. It's absolutely ridiculous that anyone wants to argue that this style isn't exactly what MT's "detractors" have been calling for all POs

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

We'd have 150 points if only we had OnTheRun as coach, he'd probably even score a hattrick or two. :sarcasm:

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
Conor McKenna ‏@mckennaconor 2m2 minutes ago
Therrien: "We didn't change nothing, obviously." #Habson690

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
I guess it was already brought up....but his comments today were just so telling. Everything is fine boys....the guys are following da game plan. So even if we lose 3-0, if we follow da game plan...that's all that matters!

My god you can't be serious, we outplayed Tampa in every game so far in this series, do you even watch the games? Stamkos and Cooper said after game 3 that it could easily be 3-0 for the Habs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
My god you can't be serious, we outplayed Tampa in every game so far in this series, do you even watch the games? Stamkos and Cooper said after game 3 that it could easily be 3-0 for the Habs.

But...we aren't. I love those moral victories when it should have been scenarios. You do know that Ottawa could have said the same thing in 1st round. And who cares how we're playing in the 2nd round when we could have been beaten in the 1st....

1st game was evenly matched. They dominated game 2. And yep, we were better in game 3 and 4. But being better means nothing if you can't finish. And finishing CRIES for chemistry. Which means that the lines should have been made much earlier in the year and stayed like that. A system that asks you to grind while we can't. A playoffs that for almost everybody, we've seen them regressed, not improved. The PP is abysmal and somehow tell me how a team who can score 6 goals in a game CAN'T buy a a PP goal, except for yesterday of course. What's the system there?

But hey I know....we won big yesterday. Hence we have no more problems......until the next loss. Let's hope that it won't be happen in this series......But I thought that as a team, we were far from the "Should I've been" moral victories scenarios. I'd love reading them over the Bruins board....can't believe we're actually using it ourselves.....

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
But...we aren't. I love those moral victories when it should have been scenarios. You do know that Ottawa could have said the same thing in 1st round. And who cares how we're playing in the 2nd round when we could have been beaten in the 1st....

1st game was evenly matched. They dominated game 2. And yep, we were better in game 3 and 4. But being better means nothing if you can't finish. And finishing CRIES for chemistry. Which means that the lines should have been made much earlier in the year and stayed like that. A system that asks you to grind while we can't. A playoffs that for almost everybody, we've seen them regressed, not improved. The PP is abysmal and somehow tell me how a team who can score 6 goals in a game CAN'T buy a a PP goal, except for yesterday of course. What's the system there?

But hey I know....we won big yesterday. Hence we have no more problems......until the next loss. Let's hope that it won't be happen in this series......But I thought that as a team, we were far from the "Should I've been" moral victories scenarios. I'd love reading them over the Bruins board....can't believe we're actually using it ourselves.....
It's ok to downplay the record in the regular season when the habs get outplayed though, at least be consistent. The habs have dominated almost ever period for christsakes.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I like dis post.

We have to win the next game, or else the series is over, and this must continue until the series is over. This is the only fact that matters now.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Haven't read the thread. Are there people now crediting MT with how we played last night? The picketers have disappeared and now want his contract extended another 10 years?

Just goes to show you that the Habs CAN score and the problem was coaching related. That said, Tampa played as poorly as can be and the goaltenders were terrible.

Habs have been mediocre for so long because the fans are so fickle. Loss = everyone fired. win = we have no problems, cup-bound. No changes will ever happen with such a fickle crowd. I was not swayed one bit by the win. I could see Habs winning next game but ultimately Tampa will win this series and the problems that plague this team will not just magically disappear.

IMO this game is no different than the last. Only diff is Habs played like they wanted to win and Tampa did not show up.

Last edited:

ourobouros

Sep 29, 2009
Haven't read the thread. Are there people now crediting MT with how we played last night? The picketers have disappeared and now want his contract extended another 10 years?

Just goes to show you that the Habs CAN score and the problem was coaching related. That said, Tampa played as poorly as can be and the goaltenders were terrible.

Habs have been mediocre for so long because the fans are so fickle. Loss = everyone fired. win = we have no problems, cup-bound. No changes will ever happen with such a fickle crowd. I was not swayed one bit by the win. I could see Habs winning next game but ultimately Tampa will win this series and the problems that plague this team will not just magically disappear.

So when the Habs win its because players are good and when they loose its a coach problem...

:help:

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
And finishing CRIES for chemistry.

No finishing cries for better offensive talent.

You have the same problem as every other Habs fan, you overate this team offensive ability, you think that we could have a better result by changing lines and create chemistry. No, our players are not talented enough offensively. Look at game #2 and all the chances we had in the first period, the players couldn't put the puck in the net with all thoses amazing chances, it could have been 3-0 or 4-0 after one period, instead we got undisciplined and we lost 6-2.

There's no change in chemistry that could change the fact that the players couldn't score, it's because we are not talented enough offensively, you need to stop overating this team offensive ability. In the 4 games against Tampa we had scoring opportunities after scoring opportunities and the players couldn't finish.

Our top 3 centers are Plek-DD-Eller, Tampa's top 3 centers are Stamkos-Johnson-Fillpula. Just think about it for a second, we're not in the same planet.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

You have the same problem as every other Habs fan, you overate this team offensive ability, you think that we could have a better result by changing lines and create chemistry. No, our players are not talented enough offensively. Look at game #2 and all the chances we had in the first period, the players couldn't put the puck in the net with all thoses amazing chances, it could have been 3-0 or 4-0 after one period, instead we got undisciplined and we lost 6-2.

There's no change in chemistry that could change the fact that the players couldn't score, it's because we are not talented enough offensively, you need to stop overating this team offensive ability. In the 4 games against Tampa we had scoring opportunities after scoring opportunities and the players couldn't finish.

Our top 3 centers are Plek-DD-Eller, Tampa's top 3 centers are Stamkos-Johnson-Fillpula. Just think about it for a second, we're not in the same planet.
Even if you were right that this team doesn't have offensive talent (and you aren't) - why exacerbate the problem with poor roster management and bad systems? Why stifle any offense whatsoever by having players grind, grind, grind? If we have poor offensive talent, why make it worse by making our fourth best center play on the first line all the time? That's just flat out stupid.

MT wants all his players to play exactly the same way. Think about that for a second. Alex Galchenyuk is supposed to play the same way Prust is? He can't go East West in the offensive zone?

Why?

It makes no sense whatsoever to stop a player like him from hanging onto the puck and creating offense. Yet that's what we see from MT, he continues to demand low percentage plays from all of his players regardless of skill level. Eller for example likes to hold onto the puck and cycle in the offensive zone, it's not a surprise that MT can't stand the guy.

MT has no idea how to handle offensively skilled players.

BTW, DD is not our top 3 center.... that's the whole point! WHY ARE WE USING HIM THIS WAY? IT MAKES NO FREAKING SENSE WHATSOEVER!! And then I come here and read posts like yours comparing our center depth saying it sucks. It doesn't suck. Galchenyuk should be there! We should've been having him there all year long. Don't come here now and use DD in our top three as some kind of excuse for the coach. The only reason he's one of our top three centers is - BECAUSE OF THE FREAKING COACH!!! By citing DD as one of our top three centers you have used MT's own incompetence as a defense for him. Think about that for a second. If he put Price at right wing, would you defend him and blame the roster for not having any goaltending too?

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He looks Adams worthy tonight with his decision making.

Good lord.

What actual decisions did he make? I'll certain give credit where it's due, but this sudden lauding is ridiculous. We put out one good game in eight attempts. Was Therrien better? Maybe. Maybe it was just the players. Either way nothing he did even remotely put him in Adams contention.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
BTW, DD is not our top 3 center.... that's the whole point! WHY ARE WE USING HIM THIS WAY? IT MAKES NO FREAKING SENSE WHATSOEVER!! And then I come here and read posts like yours comparing our center depth saying it sucks. It doesn't suck. Galchenyuk should be there! We should've been having him there all year long. Don't come here now and use DD in our top three as some kind of excuse for the coach. The only reason he's one of our top three centers is - BECAUSE OF THE FREAKING COACH!!! By citing DD as one of our top three centers you have used MT's own incompetence as a defense for him. Think about that for a second. If he put Price at right wing, would you defend him and blame the roster for not having any goaltending too?

And because I know this will get jumped on, I'll make an addendum. While substituting Galchenyuk in for Desharnais does not make our center depth better than Tampa, we are supposedly a transition team. Therefore, it is far more advantageous to develop Galchenyuk at the position he is strongest act than rely on run-of-the-mill center who feasts off of Pacioretty's production. And who's to say Galchenyuk doesn't begin to show flashes of becoming that center we all covet? It will never happen if we don't, you know, play him at center.

Cameron Diaz

Nov 19, 2013
And because I know this will get jumped on, I'll make an addendum. While substituting Galchenyuk in for Desharnais does not make our center depth better than Tampa, we are supposedly a transition team. Therefore, it is far more advantageous to develop Galchenyuk at the position he is strongest act than rely on run-of-the-mill center who feasts off of Pacioretty's production. And who's to say Galchenyuk doesn't begin to show flashes of becoming that center we all covet? It will never happen if we don't, you know, play him at center.

If Galchenyuk was on any other team Minus the Ducks, hes in the Top 6 playing Center. I guarantee it. Therien is a joke.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site

IMO this game is no different than the last. Only diff is Habs played like they wanted to win and Tampa did not show up.

No, the Habs forward core does not match up with the best teams in the NHL in terms of creativity. They are still lacking some highly skills forwards. Even in the 6-2 win, it was clear that Tampa had the more creative forwards. When they scored they made it look easy, all our goals were hard work and some lucky bounces.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The funny thing is if our coach was Mike Babcock people would be saying how we've outplayed Tampa most the series, Babcock has outcoached Cooper but we just can't finish and our forwards just simply aren't as good as Tampa's.

But instead of admitting our roster has flaws and we desperately lack offensive talent, people just find it easier to put all the blame on Therrien.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Galchenyuk was on any other team Minus the Ducks, hes in the Top 6 playing Center. I guarantee it. Therien is a joke.

What?

Tampa (Stamkos/Johnson)
Pittsburgh (Malkin/Crosby)
Dallas (Seguin/Spezza)
SJ (Thornton/Pavelski/Couture)
LA (Kopitar/Carter)
Boston (Bergeron/Krejci)
Colorado (Duchene/O'Reilly)
Detroit (Datsyuk/Zetterberg)

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
The funny thing is if our coach was Mike Babcock people would be saying how we've outplayed Tampa most the series, Babcock has outcoached Cooper but we just can't finish and our forwards just simply aren't as good as Tampa's.

But instead of admitting our roster has flaws and we desperately lack offensive talent, people just find it easier to put all the blame on Therrien.

Exactly. Montreal outplayed Tampa the whole series, just can't capitalise.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Nobody has put ALL the blame on Therrien, but he hasn't helped this team.

And for all the crap about us not having a great offensive center... why haven't we developed Galchenyuk? You can't just throw up your hands and say we don't have talent when the guy has used freaking DD as our top line center all year.

Remember, this is the same coach who had the eventual cup winning Penguins 30th in shots and out of the playoffs before he got fired.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Before yesterday Mtl averaged less goals a game than Buffalo this year. You want to argue that Mtl has the worse offensive group now?? This is such a stupid cop out.
I guess the Rangers also don't have talent seeing how they had the same scoring rate than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad