Therrien - (Still?) Into the Playoffs Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
The official stance on the matter was "the next coach will speak French". They didn't even interview non-French speaking candidates in 2012 and that's the way it will continue to be.

Hey Geoff, hows it going buddy?

Who exactly was available in 2012 that was notably better than Therrien? You don't say no to a gold medal and multiple Stanley Cup winning coach because of French. You can however please the fans by saying they want a french speaking coach. This whole French coach thing has been blown out of proportions, there has been non french speaking coaches on this team before and there will be more if we want cups. Simple as that.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Hey Geoff, hows it going buddy?

Who exactly was available in 2012 that was notably better than Therrien? You don't say no to a gold medal and multiple Stanley Cup winning coach because of French. You can however please the fans by saying they want a french speaking coach. This whole French coach thing has been blown out of proportions, there has been non french speaking coaches on this team before and there will be more if we want cups. Simple as that.

Randy Cunneyworth
Bob Berry
and the one before ???

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No need :)

Point proven. If management were so adamant of choosing a french coach at all times they wouldn't have gone with either of these guys, even as interim.

you, the Randys and Bobs if we want more cups, point proven! :naughty:

Durkin67

People have pointed out the problems in his coaching tactics all season long; poor offensive deployments, poor PP, over-reliance on Price, predictable tactics, etc. Low-and-behold, we've regressed to the mean, as many people predicted we would, and somehow, Therrien defenders are still right?

You're not defending the Habs, you're defending Therrien. Also, "puck luck" went our way in the Ottawa series, but I assume that's irrelevant?

:laugh:

Price led us to 50 wins, the fact that we lose spectacularly whenever he falters even a little bit...and by falter I mean "doesn't get a shutout"...seems proof enough that Therrien is far from the catalyst you think he is.

Also, who gives 2 ***** about the regular season? Montreal fans want a Cup, or at least a competitive run at one, and your argument that getting smoked in the second round is somehow less important than "zomg 50 wins!1!1!!11!!" is ridiculous.

PEOPLE....now that's conclusive...

Whatever puck luck they had VS OTT is irrelevant to this conversation. But this point will no doubt elude you...I have been referencing THIS series, and this series alone, from the start. Why would a league whose long term prosperity hinges on the success of small market teams in the U.S. care in the least if the Habs and Sens knock the crap out of each other? My contention is that they want to drag as many non traditional market teams as deep into the playoffs as they can, in order to realise greater revenue (POST SEASON EQUALS PURE PROFIT) for the league's loss leaders.

You feel Price led the Habs to 50 wins all by himself? Your perception and understanding of the sport is skewed. Nobody wins 50 games alone. You have no point to make on this issue. Stop trying. Subban had SIXTY POINTS and is a Norris favourite once again. Pacioretty had thirty seven goals, I think thats the most Phil Kessel has ever scored... Plekanec had 60 points. Price didn't win 50 games alone. Was he brilliant? damn right, but it wasn't all on him.

No, Therrien isn't the problem. Gallagher, Galy, and a couple others need to take the next steps. Markov HAS to be better. That's not on Therrien.Personal performance is on the players, but Gallagher has been a standout and theres not a lot on the Leafs roster I wouldn't flip you for his rights.

You're blaming the coach for making them play responsible hockey and not letting them cheat on assignments. The same coach that led them to a first place finish. That's beyond ridiculous.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I guess it was already brought up....but his comments today were just so telling. Everything is fine boys....the guys are following da game plan. So even if we lose 3-0, if we follow da game plan...that's all that matters!

Nynja*

PEOPLE....now that's conclusive...

Whatever puck luck they had VS OTT is irrelevant to this conversation. But this point will no doubt elude you...I have been referencing THIS series, and this series alone, from the start. Why would a league whose long term prosperity hinges on the success of small market teams in the U.S. care in the least if the Habs and Sens knock the crap out of each other? My contention is that they want to drag as many non traditional market teams as deep into the playoffs as they can, in order to realise greater revenue (POST SEASON EQUALS PURE PROFIT) for the league's loss leaders.

You feel Price led the Habs to 50 wins all by himself? Your perception and understanding of the sport is skewed. Nobody wins 50 games alone. You have no point to make on this issue. Stop trying. Subban had SIXTY POINTS and is a Norris favourite once again. Pacioretty had thirty seven goals, I think thats the most Phil Kessel has ever scored... Plekanec had 60 points. Price didn't win 50 games alone. Was he brilliant? damn right, but it wasn't all on him.

No, Therrien isn't the problem. Gallagher, Galy, and a couple others need to take the next steps. Markov HAS to be better. That's not on Therrien.Personal performance is on the players, but Gallagher has been a standout and theres not a lot on the Leafs roster I wouldn't flip you for his rights.

You're blaming the coach for making them play responsible hockey and not letting them cheat on assignments. The same coach that led them to a first place finish. That's beyond ridiculous.

I didnt know were gonna put up a banner in the bell centre for getting 110 points

Durkin67

I guess it was already brought up....but his comments today were just so telling. Everything is fine boys....the guys are following da game plan. So even if we lose 3-0, if we follow da game plan...that's all that matters!

Da Plan seems to be working out tonight...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Love that video of MT giving Eller hell on the bench after pushing the stick of Bishop. Guarantee he doesn't do that with his favourites.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Love that video of MT giving Eller hell on the bench after pushing the stick of Bishop. Guarantee he doesn't do that with his favourites.

Yeah he went Full Pageau on him.
Called him a fn *****...
If i read his lips correctly.

Durkin67

:laugh:

Yeah right.....1 goal where d-men go deep in the offensive zone..that,s so common. And then...a PK goal. That's SO Therrien's plan.

Da Plan...you know, where you just compete hard in front of the net without taking a penalty. Where you don't panic and change the lineup...Dat plan...

Durkin67

I didnt know were gonna put up a banner in the bell centre for getting 110 points

Hardly the point.

Guys *****ing about the coach and the teams' performance all year, when the only thing he did was lead you to a 1st place conference finish. And you wanna act like thats insignificant? you're making Leaf fans sound enlightened with those comments...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Da Plan...you know, where you just compete hard in front of the net without taking a penalty. Where you don't panic and change the lineup...Dat plan...

Where were you in the first 3 games? Great logic there. So da plan was to lose to first 3 and then win the next 4!

Nynja*

Hardly the point.

Guys *****ing about the coach and the teams' performance all year, when the only thing he did was lead you to a 1st place conference finish. And you wanna act like thats insignificant? you're making Leaf fans sound enlightened with those comments...

He led the team to bottom third in shots for, bottom third in shots against, bottom third in scoring production...anything thats NOT related to Carey Price the team was garbage. Thats not any coaching leadership, thats why Price is gonna win the Hart, the Vezina and the Lindsay.

Durkin67

Where were you in the first 3 games? Great logic there. So da plan was to lose to first 3 and then win the next 4!

Its at times like these that I regret I have but two palms and one face. Seriously, you're making the Leaf board look like a thing of genius. Im out....

Durkin67

He led the team to bottom third in shots for, bottom third in shots against, bottom third in scoring production...anything thats NOT related to Carey Price the team was garbage. Thats not any coaching leadership, thats why Price is gonna win the Hart, the Vezina and the Lindsay.

He looks Adams worthy tonight with his decision making.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
No stupid dump and chase and instead actually applying pressure = success (not just tonight but against the Bolts in general).

Strange, it's like I saw that proposed before, I wonder where :sarcasm:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Say what you will about Therrien, but in this game so far I've loved the strategies of always breaking the Tampa plays near their zone.

Great job by the coaching staff overall.

Durkin67

Nice one.

Therrien have Jack to do with the goalies in blue giving softies left and right.

He had everything to do with telling his team not to panic, that he believed in them, and to just play their game. Not making any panic lineup decisions speaks to this. Im not the only one who felt they were the better team last night as well.

He had them get out there and dictate the tempo right out of the gate, and they got to Bishop and eroded his confidence.

But you go ahead and believe what you want.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Say what you will about Therrien, but in this game so far I've loved the strategies of always breaking the Tampa plays near their zone.

Great job by the coaching staff overall.

It's better later than never I guess. But I agree that the team is playing a very solid game. A game that happens to be at the same time Tampa is playing it's worse game of the year but still. I like what I'm seeing.

Nynja*

I'd like to think this is Bergevin's doing, telling MT to "get his head out of his ass and figure this out, there are adjustments needed, make them".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad