Therrien - (Still?) Into the Playoffs Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Michel Therrien Talks

I want to know everyone's opinion on him. Let's get a dialogue going about him.

This isn't a Eller vs DD or Bouillon vs Brisebois thread.

Let's rate his coaching after every game, and give him a mid term grade at the all star break and then a final grade after game 82.

I want to see praising and criticism.

IMHO, I have never seen a coach make so few adjustments in a game in my life. For example the previous game vs Tampa (7-1 loss), the only 2 changes made were pulling Price and benching Subban for the last 10 mins or so.

I for one can't understand why any coach, trailing by 6 with 10-15 remaining does not at least try changing lines a bit, to get a view of how players are together. Instead he stuck with the same lines, played a rookie dman more, and cursed at somebody.

I don't see how he's a coach in the NHL. I've seen peewee coach's make more changes being down by a goal. Our power play is a complete joke. Not a single change in over 25 games.

I give him 4/10 for the week. Despite winning and flip flopping Sekac and PA, he hasn't really changed a thing. His biggest change actually was forced upon him do to injury.

Thoughts on my opinion, personal thoughts, any verbal diarrhea?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Mon Oncle Michel clearly spent far too much time on AC prior to taking this job.
I'm only half kidding it explains EVERYTHING.

Apr 28, 2010
Agreed that the PP is garbage right now and obviously we need to be more prepared right from the start so we don't play catch-up all game.

With that said, we are still 3-1. So no need to panic. At the end of the day, we still got 6/8 points from playing bad/average games.

Save your energy when we're below .500. Right now, I don't think we shouldn't worry too much. Our first week was still a success, imo. Won 3/4 games on the road.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm really not happy with the way the team leaves our own zone, and can't remember the last time I was. If there's something I'm going to blame Michel Therrien for, it's that. When was the last time this team could consistently, and cleanly leave our own zone? It's always up the boards or a stretch pass. Why do we do that when our roster is actually quite talented?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
we trade Gorges and get Gilbert because we want to be more of a puck possession team.

ok, so... why do we keep throwing the puck down the middle or dumping it?

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
So the guy shuffled the lines vs Philly and Washington to get a result but you've never seen a coach make so few adjustments :laugh:

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

Let's rate his coaching after every game, and give him a mid term grade at the all star break and then a final grade after game 82.

IMHO, I have never seen a coach make so few adjustments in a game in my life. For example the previous game vs Tampa (7-1 loss), the only 2 changes made were pulling Price and benching Subban for the last 10 mins or so.

I for one can't understand why any coach, trailing by 6 with 10-15 remaining does not at least try changing lines a bit, to get a view of how players are together. Instead he stuck with the same lines, played a rookie dman more, and cursed at somebody.

I don't see how he's a coach in the NHL. I've seen peewee coach's make more changes being down by a goal. Our power play is a complete joke. Not a single change in over 25 games.

I give him 4/10 for the week. Despite winning and flip flopping Sekac and PA, he hasn't really changed a thing. His biggest change actually was forced upon him do to injury.

I'm not the biggest Therrien fan by any means, but you suggest that you want balanced comments in this thread and you exemplify that by...your incredibly unbalanced assessment of him? :laugh:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Pains me to say it but he seems to do a good job of developing the kids - still frustrating at times but I think he's miles ahead of the Count in this regard

On the downside this...

1599e06bd7b11b9d1e3d414c4cfb97bd3ad4ed044ac06d4ec5625cf4d0d224ec.jpg

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
The regular season doesn't matter. All that matters is to get to the Playoffs. From there on in, anything can happen.

Look at the Kings. Miserable season, squeak in to 8th place, win cup.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The Good: He seems to be good at motivating and pushing the right buttons to get a reaction from his players. He did put this group of guys in the right mindset. Let's not underrate that. He got some results to show.

The Bad: Very poor bench/TOI management. Relies way too much on guys like Markov, who will be gassed yet again come playoffs. He doesn't adjust during games. If we have 3 or 4 PKs in a row, guys like Markov or Pleky end up playing too much within one period. If we have 3 or 4 PPs in a row, Subban ends up playing too much etc.

The Ugly: By his own admission, he plays favorites (and anyways, we can all see that he does). This is completely unacceptable at this level.

PricePkPatch*

You would have to try very hard not to see the changes Therrien did in the past games. Only by narrowing your perspective deliberately to thr last parts of the last game can you reach such a silly conclusion.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
My main problem with Therrien is how this team handles special units (well, mostly PP). The fact that he never seemed to bother trying specific PP combinations instead of 5v5 lines, something that practically every other team does.

To a lesser extent his overreliance on DD (although I'm fine with DD as a player in general, some are really harsh on him). Last year it was much worse with Bouillon, but I'm pretty sure MB noticed and just had no intention of bringing him back.

In game adjustments are not as bad as some seem to think, he does make them, even if he doesn't always make the ones we'd want him to.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

So the guy starts 3-1 in a 4game in 6 day road trip to start the season and gets a 4/10.

:facepalm:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Overall, he's a good coach.

He makes stupid decisions at times and can rely on veterans too often but that's true for pretty much every coach in the league. I don't think he drastically helps or hurts our team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So the guy starts 3-1 in a 4game in 6 day road trip to start the season and gets a 4/10.

:facepalm:

Something isn't quite right...
The boys are not buying whatever it is he's trying to sell.
Four games and the same lacklustre start despite having talked about it?
Then once the restraints are lifted we magically transform?
MT wants to play the same reg season style as last year.
The style we saw the Bulldogs play against the Avs and the Hawks.
The boys want more of that playoff style approach.
Something fun...

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
So the guy shuffled the lines vs Philly and Washington to get a result but you've never seen a coach make so few adjustments :laugh:

I'm not the biggest Therrien fan by any means, but you suggest that you want balanced comments in this thread and you exemplify that by...your incredibly unbalanced assessment of him? :laugh:

I give him 2/10 for his post.

You would have to try very hard not to see the changes Therrien did in the past games. Only by narrowing your perspective deliberately to thr last parts of the last game can you reach such a silly conclusion.
Love how you all LIST these supposed changes.
Flip flopping Gallagher, Parenteau, and Sekac all the while keeping the same atrocious PP isn't "shuffling the lines."

My main problem with Therrien is how this team handles special units (well, mostly PP). The fact that he never seemed to bother trying specific PP combinations instead of 5v5 lines, something that practically every other team does.

To a lesser extent his overreliance on DD (although I'm fine with DD as a player in general, some are really harsh on him). Last year it was much worse with Bouillon, but I'm pretty sure MB noticed and just had no intention of bringing him back.

In game adjustments are not as bad as some seem to think, he does make them, even if he doesn't always make the ones we'd want him to.

He needs to make better adjustments in game. As sansbri pointed out, we acquire guys to become a more puck possession team, and continue to dump and chase (there's 2 guys that don't do it). Doesn't make any sense.

The 3-1 record has fooled a lot of people already. Really wish they would have a separate column for shootouts (W-L-SOW-SOL), cuz their record wouldn't look as nice...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

He HAS tried different PP combinations. I've seen Parenteau-DD-Pacioretty, Bourque-Plekanec-Galchenyuk, Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher, etc.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Something isn't quite right...
The boys are not buying whatever it is he's trying to sell.
Four games and the same lacklustre start despite having talked about it?
Then once the restraints are lifted we magically transform?
MT wants to play the same reg season style as last year.
The style we saw the Bulldogs play against the Avs and the Hawks.
The boys want more of that playoff style approach.
Something fun...

What restraints need to be lifted?

To me it just looks like a team that's had a few hiccups but for the most part found a way to win 3/4.

The PP definitely needs work, and I'm sure being at home and having more practice time will help in that area. Part of it is system, but players also need to execute and not telegraph passes and dump in where they can't retrieve etc

PricePkPatch*

He HAS tried different PP combinations. I've seen Parenteau-DD-Pacioretty, Bourque-Plekanec-Galchenyuk, Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher, etc.

Whereas new PP systems need time to implement and practice. Something that was a bit hard to achieve on the road

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What restraints need to be lifted?

To me it just looks like a team that's had a few hiccups but for the most part found a way to win 3/4.

The PP definitely needs work, and I'm sure being at home and having more practice time will help in that area. Part of it is system, but players also need to execute and not telegraph passes and dump in where they can't retrieve etc

Ummm you may or may not of noticed there is a distinct difference in the approach a team takes when playing from behind.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Ummm you may or may not of noticed there is a distinct difference in the approach a team takes when playing from behind.

They play with more urgency and the opposition plays more on their heels.

It's not a "style" just a state of mind.

Pretty obvious the Habs need better starts but it's up to the players to show up ready to play, a coach can talk until he is blue in the face, it's still the players that go out and play.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They play with more urgency and the opposition plays more on their heels.

It's not a "style" just a state of mind.

Pretty obvious the Habs need better starts but it's up to the players to show up ready to play, a coach can talk until he is blue in the face, it's still the players that go out and play.

Sure it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad